Reserves vs Wigan @ SJP

Tom

NEWCASTLE United fans have the chance to see the club's latest crop of emerging stars at St.James' Park on Monday night with Wigan Athletic Reserves the visitors to Gallowgate.

The Magpies have used the second-string to blood a number of their highly-promising Academy youngsters this season with players such as Ryan Donaldson, Nile Ranger and Brad Inman rewarded with senior call-ups.

Richard Money's side are returning to action after a layoff of almost two weeks following a 3-0 defeat against a strong Man City side but will be looking for a swift return to winning ways against the Latics.

Full team news will appear here on Monday morning on nufc.co.uk and nufcTV will be bringing you match highlights and post-match reaction following the game.

United line up as follows: Fraser Forster, James Tavernier, Darren Lough, Mark Doninger, Claudio Cacapa, David Edgar, Ryan Donaldson, Kazenga LuaLua, Xisco, Alan Smith, Frank Wiafe Danquah.

Subs: Jonny Godsmark, Max Johnson, Nile Ranger, Shane Ferguson, James Taylor.

alan smith still can't score then?

Be happy for the others/positives we can take out of it? decent run-outs for smith, xisco etc plus lua-lua is making all the right noises with his feet and will be pushing to be an impact sub for us soon with any luck.

alan smith still can't score then?

Be happy for the others/positives we can take out of it? decent run-outs for smith, xisco etc plus lua-lua is making all the right noises with his feet and will be pushing to be an impact sub for us soon with any luck.

NUSC to declare a statement asking why Lua Lua isn't a regular sub.

Edited by TCMag

Good stuff - Lualua likes his like range goals doesn't he, scored a couple against city the other week as well, and a load more in the past. Should get a decent run out at the end of the season if/when we're mathamatically safe.

...and good to see Xisco scoring as well. With the forwards that we'll have leaving at the end of the season (Owen and Viduka) he could be handy to have next season. Hopefully he can get some more first team experience before the end of the season. haven't written him off yet.

I went tonight, Smith played as sweeper :lol: Xisco was canny and could have had a hatrick but went off injured. Should easily be in ahead of Shola.

Lua Lua is by far the most skilfull, most creative player on our books and ripped wigan apart tonight. Fuck knows why we resort to putting CBs in CM when this lad is playing like this for the reserves.

I went tonight, Smith played as sweeper :lol: Xisco was canny and could have had a hatrick but went off injured. Should easily be in ahead of Shola.

Lua Lua is by far the most skilfull, most creative player on our books and ripped wigan apart tonight. Fuck knows why we resort to putting CBs in CM when this lad is playing like this for the reserves.

Good to hear that Xisco's play had some merit. Agree that I'd like to see LuaLua feature for the first team, he's been consistently performing for the reserves but has never had a real chance to shine in the first team.

at this current time, i'll give ameobi some credit as he's playing injured (managements fault for selecting him ahead of fit players). his overall play is appalling, but in terms of minutes this season he's weighed in with some goals and assists that could prove vital come the end of the season.

Noones comparing Ameobi to LuaLua. If they were though, they would have noted that LuaLua is 18 years old, Shola Ameobi is 27. Kazenga LuaLua is a midfield player, Ameobi a striker. LuaLua is yet to get a proper chance in the first team, where-as Ameobi has had several.

What I'm assuming most of us are upset about is when we see the likes of Cacapa or Coloccini (or even Butt) deployed in midfield, when the likes of LuaLua seem to be completely overlooked.

When Ameobi's done something canny in the league it's "only West Brom", but when Lua Lua has a canny game against Wigan Reserves he's a world beater.

:lol:

Weve had 6 or 7 seasons to know quite how shit Shola is thankyou

Noones comparing Ameobi to LuaLua. If they were though, they would have noted that LuaLua is 18 years old, Shola Ameobi is 27. Kazenga LuaLua is a midfield player, Ameobi a striker. LuaLua is yet to get a proper chance in the first team, where-as Ameobi has had several.

What I'm assuming most of us are upset about is when we see the likes of Cacapa or Coloccini (or even Butt) deployed in midfield, when the likes of LuaLua seem to be completely overlooked.

It was more a comment on the clamour to get players into the first team based on reserve performances (which iirc happened to Ameobi and Carroll and Chopra to much overall dissappointment) rather than a view of any individuals ability.

Personally, I think the current first team would drag any players performance levels down after they've had a game or two to settle and drop the effort levels to match the other 10.

I think Lua Lua needs to work on his first touch and get some strength built up or he will be easily muscled off the ball.

He has pace and can beat a man with a good eye to play a ball but from what I have seen of him first team (Stoke/Bolton/West Ham?) he needs to bulk up.

He has Spurs syndrome in the fact he is a bit too weak.

The clamour often by people who've never seen them play as well btw. Lua Lua in CM in a Premier League game?

I think he would be good out wide. We could play Duff or Jonas CM if we are desperate. Ive seen Lua Lua play a few times this season and hes always looked good. Just seems daft to put our new RB at RW and a CB at RB purely to avoid putting a reserve player in. Carroll has done every bit as good as Shola when hes played and the same can be said for Krul back in the day. Its kind of pointless having a reserve team if your squad is decimated by injuries and you still refuse to put one of them in