Owen new deal?

Park Life

Michael Owen set to be offered new Toon deal

Feb 11 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United are set to draw up a new contract offer for skipper Michael Owen.

The original contract offer that United made was withdrawn on January 1 but Newcastle are set to go again in a bid to retain their No 10.

The out-of-favour England international is currently out injured with an ankle problem but plans to return to action for United at the start of next month.

The former Liverpool and Real Madrid star has been linked with moves away from Tyneside continuously in the past three seasons but, unlike Shay Given and Charles N’Zogbia, chose not to jump ship in January despite the turmoil in Toon.

And while Owen has yet to commit his future to Newcastle beyond the end of the season, with Aston Villa, Everton and Manchester City all keen on his services, United owner Mike Ashley will make plans to keep Owen at St James’s Park.

Managing director Derek Llambias said “We offered Michael a new contract and he has chosen to walk away and think about his future.

“It’s not on the table any more after January 1. But we’ll be sitting down with him again soon and seeing what he wants to do.

“It’s difficult – he’s a goalscorer who has 10 already this season in the games he’s played.

“It’s down to Michael.

“He’s done his term here, and it was lucrative, but he’s decided he wants to wait until the end of the season.

“So it’s a case of watch this space.”

Yet United will also be busy looking into extending the current deals of other stars, with fresh deals for Habib Beye, Oba Martins and Damien Duff in the pipeline.

United recently extended deals for several senior players to bolster their squad and Llambias seems keen not to allow deals to run down to the last minute like Owen.

He added: “We’ve done new contracts for Harper, Shola and Nicky Butt.

“We’re doing three more as well. We’re constantly on the move with those, we’re renewing contracts and we’re reviewing our team all of the time.”

However, the futures of Mark Vidka and Brazilian defender Claudio Cacapa remain in doubt with no indication that their deals which run out in the summer will be renewed.

Michael Owen set to be offered new Toon deal

Feb 11 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United are set to draw up a new contract offer for skipper Michael Owen.

The original contract offer that United made was withdrawn on January 1

????

He's away regardless of what the club try to do now.

If they haven't realised that he wants away purely because of the mess they've caused then they seriously need help

They know he's going, this talk of a new offer is PR bollocks.

It’s difficult – he’s a goalscorer who has 10 already this season in the games he’s played.

Big fucking whoop! He's bloody injured more often than not, and 10 goals in all comps seems pretty poor to me for the club's main goalscorer. :lol:

He's away regardless of what the club try to do now.

If they haven't realised that he wants away purely because of the mess they've caused then they seriously need help

They know he's going, this talk of a new offer is PR bollocks.

So much for the better communication/not telling lies eh

I reckon they'll offer Given a new deal next

Llambias seems keen not to allow deals to run down to the last minute like Owen.

Keegan tells owner Ashley: give Michael a new contract

Last updated at 21:58 20 April 2008

Another one for Nicos thread.

Stevietoon

Are all your 47 posts as interesting?

course they aren't

maybe you just caught me at a bad time; club going down the pan, managerless, rudderless, leaderless and heading for fizzy pop league unless three other clubs are worse than us

following the aston villa vision but in a continental framework - more like the west brom style of go down and hope you come back up quick. only trouble being that its been tried and failed by charlton, leeds, southampton, coventry, sheff wed, sheff utd, ipswich, norwich, leicester.

turning into a cup half empty man

Back on topic lads, new deal for Owen, why would you after the last few years he's put in at this club.

Yes, he has the ability to score goals, but he has never quite managed that simple task called consistently.

He is in the physio room too often, let's just put the money in the right place and get a replacement, shouldn't be too difficult to get someone with a better attendance record and at least that's a starting point.

Before everyone shouts Owen scores goals, yes he does and is very good at scoring goals, but you have to be playing and on the pitch to at least stand a chance of scoring a goal. OWEN IS ABSENT TOO OFTEN!

Let's be sensible, he doesn't want to play for us and so what, let's move on to the next chapter of the horror story, NUFC.

Lambias speaks with forked tongue and most of all, talks :lol: !!!

Whatever anyone's take on Owen is he's gone in the summer. No-one in their right mind would keep Viduka on, Xisco's sure to be moved out (poor fucker) and I wouldn't bet money on Oba stopping.

Could be Smith (unless someone's daft enough to take him off our hands), Carroll and Ameobi left. That's not even good enough for fizzy pop football. I hope somewhere in the grand plan they've got some ideas on this.

Whatever anyone's take on Owen is he's gone in the summer. No-one in their right mind would keep Viduka on, Xisco's sure to be moved out (poor fucker) and I wouldn't bet money on Oba stopping.

Could be Smith (unless someone's daft enough to take him off our hands), Carroll and Ameobi left. That's not even good enough for fizzy pop football. I hope somewhere in the grand plan they've got some ideas on this.

Wouldn't bet on it.

Tbh i would love to see a front two or martins and owen next season, and although i think its 80/20 that Owen will go i still have hope that something will happen and he will stay.

If he does go then its not the end of the world either, we would be relieving ourselves of a hefty 110k a week wage and the worry of him being sidelined for long spells.

If come the start of next season we are left to choose from...Martins, Smith, Carroll and Strola id be worried. Theres only 20 goals in all of them put together in my opinion. Out of those four id put faith in Martins and Smith, i think smudger will come good eventually, he just needs his 1st goal. Carrol i think is a good back up and will grow next season, but Strola is the biggest issue, i really cant stand the bloke yet i dont think there is ANY chance of him leaving tbh.

That being said we could and should go out and get a 15-20 goals a season striker to play with Oba, my choice would be Mario Gomez, then we'd have three strikers as back up.

I can't see Owen staying under any circumstances myself like. At a guess I'd reckon Oba is 50/50 (although certain to leave if we go down obviously). Depends if there's interest I suppose.

Shola's a dog's breakfast of a footballer, utter gash. His odd decent game consists of him actually winning a few high balls and maybe fluking one in off one of his pointy bits. Then he reverts to type: shite in the air, woeful on the deck, needlessly offside/conceding stupid free-kicks, and so slow and ponderous in his movement and decision-making that by the time he gets a shot or a pass off the ball's either gone or gets blocked. He's absolutely wank, and has recently added laziness and sulking to his repertoire. Carroll's probably a division higher than the level he'll end up at but he's still been much better in the 'targetman' role than Shola - he's stronger, better in the air, has better movement and is a bit better on the deck.

As for Smith, I think the lad's gone - it's a long time since he looked like a decent striker, and he's never a midfielder. Maybe the injuries have took their toll.

I know Gomez had a stinker at the Euros but ther'll still be plenty of interest in him, and I can't see us getting him.

How depressing. Nile Ranger's going to have to be fucking Pele.

I can't see Owen staying under any circumstances myself like. At a guess I'd reckon Oba is 50/50 (although certain to leave if we go down obviously). Depends if there's interest I suppose.

Shola's a dog's breakfast of a footballer, utter gash. His odd decent game consists of him actually winning a few high balls and maybe fluking one in off one of his pointy bits. Then he reverts to type: shite in the air, woeful on the deck, needlessly offside/conceding stupid free-kicks, and so slow and ponderous in his movement and decision-making that by the time he gets a shot or a pass off the ball's either gone or gets blocked. He's absolutely wank, and has recently added laziness and sulking to his repertoire. Carroll's probably a division higher than the level he'll end up at but he's still been much better in the 'targetman' role than Shola - he's stronger, better in the air, has better movement and is a bit better on the deck.

As for Smith, I think the lad's gone - it's a long time since he looked like a decent striker, and he's never a midfielder. Maybe the injuries have took their toll.

I know Gomez had a stinker at the Euros but ther'll still be plenty of interest in him, and I can't see us getting him.

How depressing. Nile Ranger's going to have to be fucking Pele.

Meant to be good.

Scoring for fun for the bairns like and cult hero in the making, but I haven't seen him play. I've seen Kadar a couple of times and he looks tidy (looked better at full-back than cb), but he's knacked. Most of these kids we've brought in are miles away from the first team anyway, and if it turns out Wise's judgement on young players is poor, this five-year plan is right up the swanee.

I wonder what happened with Zamblera. Got a couple of run-outs for the reserves, then was playing for the kids, then shunted out of the back door. The stuff coming out of Italy when we got him suggested he was very highly thought of. Strange one.

Edited by Big Onion