Glenn Roeder?

Neville Neville Neville

Well its a potentially outrageous shout, and I'm almost certain it wouldn't happen, but I just wonder whether big Glenn could be the perfect man to get us to the end of the season and keep us up.

Now, I think we've all learnt that he's not full time manager material, but to be fair to him, he did a canny job following Souness, and his problems didn't begin until he started to get everyone fit again, he was responsible for bringing in players, and he began only using the 3rd person.

On the pluses, he clearly holds newcastle dear to his heart, he's not been out of the game for ages, he's free and available and would be cheap for a manager, and he has had a few seasons of previous premiership experience (admittedly ranging from very good - very bad). I think he seems to be a decent enough coach, especially with the young-uns, and we could do will all the potential coaches at our disposal. He even got Shola looking like a striker!!

He should never have been given the job permanently last time, but if he was to be a stopgap (and only a stopgap) to the end of the season, I can't think of many more suitable people who would come to the club as it is

Have I gone completely insane? (and if you say yes, suggest a better, more realistic choice)

Roeder would be the perfect choice to take us down.

Really, from afar (apart from when he was at newcastle) it seems that every job he has taken, he has had a positive impact for a year or so, before things have gone wrong. I think he is about as good a candidate as we can expect, and he'd only be here for 3 months, before either being said goodbye to, or getting a backroom post (which I don't think would be a bad thing).

My only fear is that Ashley/Llambias would see him as the ideal cheap manager to build a "5 year plan" around, and we'd be back to where we were pre-Big Sam.

The alternatives are a bunch of expensive people who've not been in a premiership job ever (or for many years), young managers who've never been tested at the top level (inc. a wise/poyet partnership of whatever form), or people who keep their barge pole hidden away so it won't accidentally touch the club.

Roeder for the toon!!!!

Well its a potentially outrageous shout, and I'm almost certain it wouldn't happen, but I just wonder whether big Glenn could be the perfect man to get us to the end of the season and keep us up.

Now, I think we've all learnt that he's not full time manager material, but to be fair to him, he did a canny job following Souness, and his problems didn't begin until he started to get everyone fit again, he was responsible for bringing in players, and he began only using the 3rd person.

On the pluses, he clearly holds newcastle dear to his heart, he's not been out of the game for ages, he's free and available and would be cheap for a manager, and he has had a few seasons of previous premiership experience (admittedly ranging from very good - very bad). I think he seems to be a decent enough coach, especially with the young-uns, and we could do will all the potential coaches at our disposal. He even got Shola looking like a striker!!

He should never have been given the job permanently last time, but if he was to be a stopgap (and only a stopgap) to the end of the season, I can't think of many more suitable people who would come to the club as it is

Have I gone completely insane? (and if you say yes, suggest a better, more realistic choice)

I don't agree with you over him doing a good job after Souness, I'm firmly of the belief that the decent spell at that time was more to do with Shearer helping him out - it wasn't until he went it alone that it started to go down hill.

I don't agree with you over him doing a good job after Souness, I'm firmly of the belief that the decent spell at that time was more to do with Shearer helping him out - it wasn't until he went it alone that it started to go down hill.

I think you are spot on there - once shearer went Roeder reverted to type (a strange, indecisive,nancy boy type) - his dithering over transfers cost us in europe and i still maintain that if he had signed sol campbell we would have beat alkmaar

I think you are spot on there - once shearer went Roeder reverted to type (a strange, indecisive,nancy boy type) - his dithering over transfers cost us in europe and i still maintain that if he had signed sol campbell we would have beat alkmaar

Bremen would've came all over us in the next round.

Whatever reservations you have about great players stepping straight into management and not being up for it because its a different ball game, Shearer did look perfectly at ease in that dugout and subsequent results show that he possibly was a huge influence. There is nothing wrong with the manager and partner combination, it may be that Roeders coaching etc and Shearers motivational aura in the dressing room is a good partnership. If thats the case, it would be criminal not to give it another go.

The Shearer factor is a fair point, but I think its simplifying things too much.

If you have a look through the season after shearer left (http://nufc.com/html/2006-07html/fixtures.html), we had a terrible start to the season but recovered to be having another good year until the Alkmaar 2nd leg fiasco. After that we never got going again and only (how we'd love it now) finished in 13th, 5 points clear of relegation

Also, in terms of spending in the transfer market, he only brought in oba for 10 million (ostensibly a replacement for the injured michael owen and has been a divisive signing), and duff for 5 million (who has been a shite signing, and apparently for some bizarre reason, we are still paying for now.... he must have a £100k/shite performance clause or something), and gained back 7 million.

I think the horribleness of the last 3 years is giving me rose and nostalgia-tinted glasses, but the stats don't bear things as horrendous as I remember them at the time. I think everyone agrees he was out of depth by the end, but he wasn't the unmitigated failure that I felt he was then.

Plus, as I said, as a man capable of short term boost who may be keen to come to the club, I think he's worth a crack. I'd love someone more charismatic, more successful, refers to themselves with the pronoun 'I', but who's going to come here who ticks the boxes

Confirmed http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/fe...d-premierleague that our premiership hopes lie with the man who looked like he was shitting himself every game before JFK took over, and the man who single handedly saved nottingham forest from the drop by being sacked.....

1 top flight win between them, away to the mighty west brom :lol:

Edited by Neville Neville Neville

I still think Tommy Craigs part in that is often overlooked...

I still think Tommy Craigs part in that is often overlooked...

:lol:

It was Craig and Shearer who were pulling the strings for me. Roeder was the only one kept on and it went pears..