Dennis Wise needs a chance

Christmas Tree

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Wise have a real role at the club? Or is it just so he can watch you play every saturday with a fancy title? Doesn't look as if

he does anything in terms of managing.

It could be worse anyway, you could be Spurs fan still thinking you have a definite CL chance and expecting to finishing in the top 2 next year. :D

I know this has been discussed in other topics this man really needs a topic of his own to thrash it out.

He is the most powerful person in our club that knows anything about football.

Before and since he arrived he has been slagged to oblivion, mainly for been one of those irritating players that you love to hate.

However he is out there trying to recruit the cream of the world football talent for our club. More over, in the position we are now in, he could be just the person to take over the reins and get us to safety.

Ex England Pro

Succesful Chelsea Manager

Managed a lower league team to the cup final

Has an average success ration of 47% with leeds

Realistically whoever we can drag in for the next 13 games will be reporting to him anyway, so why not just let him get on with it. I would rather have someone like him with balls and a fierce desire to succeed on the sideline than Hughton or B Robson or Venables.

Come on Dennis, Save our season :D

(And yes Alex I know, smb or wum :) )

what a load of utter bollocks

Wise doesn't have the balls to face up to Newcastle supporters at all it seems. We've not heard a peep from him since the Keegan fiasco, and what he did say before that evidently came out to be a complete load of horse-shit.

In fact so far removed from the proceedings is Wise, that despite performing in the figurative position of Executive Director (Football) he has seldom been seen overseeing any of the actual footballing matters at the club. This includes the Youth and Reserves matches where he is purported to be charged with identifying and more importantly developing young talent at the club.

Anyone that makes a realistic suggestion that Wise would be a suitable candidate to manage the club is so far removed from the reality of the situation that they may as well for all intents and purposes propose that Michael Jackson be signed to back-fill Wise's current role of developing youngsters.

they may as well for all intents and purposes propose that Michael Jackson be signed to back-fill Wise's current role of developing youngsters.

I can't say I approve of that. Michael Jackson's penchant for back filling developing youngsters is what got him prosecuted in the United States.

So the Tree has pretty much admitted to being a mackem. No surprise there. I'll ask you though, how would you like it if Dennis Wise was casting his four-foot-seven shadow over your club? :D

Not to mention a manager whose name looks like a bad Scrabble hand and sounds like a sneeze

they may as well for all intents and purposes propose that Michael Jackson be signed to back-fill Wise's current role of developing youngsters.

I can't say I approve of that. Michael Jackson's penchant for back filling developing youngsters is what got him prosecuted in the United States.

I'll set 'em up, and you knock 'em down. :D

I'll set 'em up, and you knock 'em down. :D

:)

Model Behaviour?

By Happy Face On Tue 17 Feb 2009 |

Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias have both told us the model they have in mind for Newcastle United. They have named two Champions League chasing clubs and justified their approach at NUFC by comparing to those set-ups.

First of all, in September 2008, Mike Ashley justified our transfer policy by comparing it with that of Arsenal.

“Arsenal is the shining example in England of a sustainable business model. It takes time. It can’t be done overnight. Newcastle has therefore set up an extensive scouting system. We look for young players, for players in foreign leagues who everyone does not know about. We try and stay ahead of the competition. We search high and low looking for value, for potential that we can bring on and for players who will allow Newcastle to compete at the very highest level but who don’t cost the earth.”

No doubt, Arsene Wenger has brought in some fantastic young talent that he’s sold on at a profit. But the key to that is Arsene Wenger. Read what he said just a couple of days before the statement above was released.

“If I go into a job and someone says to me that you have a director of football who buys and sells the players, I accept or don’t accept it. If I accept it, I cannot complain. I would personally not accept that.”

The man has proven quality for bringing youth through at Arsenal, and he’s left alone to do it himself. He would not tolerate Dennis Wise or Jeff Vetere making those decisions for him. If he does take advice before deciding on a player, I wonder if he’d view our recruitment team as qualified to give it. We all know Dennis Wise’s history in the game and are perplexed by his appointment. He’s spent more time assaulting children than scouting them. But what about Vetere, maybe he’s every bit as good as Wenger, which talent has he spotted in his career?

Rushden and Diamonds - Andrew Burgess

Charlton Athletic - Grant Basey

Real Madrid - Daniel Opare

I’m sure these are able footballers, but they aren’t really proven quality up there with what’s been rolling off the production line at Arsenal are they? Vetere’s credited as a walking encyclopaedia by many, but most fans know someone like that, someone who wastes their life playing Championship Manager. We don’t believe it qualifies any of those people as premier league talent spotters.

The other point of consideration is that once the kids are through the door at Arsenal they have Arsene Wenger training them, a wise professor of the game, tactical genius and the man holding the baton behind some of the most gorgeous passing teams in the Premier league this past decade. They’re also playing alongside the cream of European talent. A kid coming to Newcastle will be taught by Joe Kinnear and play alongside Shola Ameobi, he doesn’t stand a chance.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, while Arsenal have had this youth based model in place for many years, their debt currently stands at £318million, but that has not stopped them investing £88million in transfers over the last 5 years. They’ve not done anything on the cheap.

Which brings us to Aston Villa. In his recent interview Derek Llambias said:

“In five years we would hope to be challenging for everything, we hope to be like Aston Villa.”

Ignoring the fact that even when he said it Aston Villa were not challenging for everything, Mr Llambias seems not to grasp at all how Aston Villa have found themselves in their current improved position. For years Doug Ellis ran a tight ship at Villa, only investing within his own means and as a result Aston Villa floundered in mid-table and the fans got on his back.

The turning point came with the investment of Randy Lerner who (even as a billionaire who has spent much of his own money) has left a £63million debt according to the latest accounts.

This didn’t stop him from backing his manager (without a DOF sat above him) with transfers costing £32million this season.

It seems to me that the MD and owner are telling us the big name clubs they’re setting us up to emulate, but their actions speak far louder than words and in practice the reticence to build any debt, the lack of ambition to sign any proven quality displays far more amply that they are actually setting us up like a newly promoted team. One that hopes to get lucky with a mid-table finish, but more than anything is planning for inevitable relegation, whether it comes one season or next.

- If you enjoyed this article by Chris, there are many more like it available on his blog “A Compendium of Contradictions from Mike Ashley”, located at http://nufc-ashlies.blogspot.com.

I agree with most of this, posted by Happy Face on Non-Newcastle residents-Online.

So the Tree has pretty much admitted to being a mackem. No surprise there. I'll ask you though, how would you like it if Dennis Wise was casting his four-foot-seven shadow over your club? :D

No, but that doesn't mean he isn't one. It's worse if he's a Toon fan imo. If he's representative of the views of more than a tiny minority we're stupider than I thought.

Edited by alex

FFS God help us, not that Wise would be a bad choice, but it would add to the entertainment on match days.

imagine the shit he would get, not good, would be bad for morale, poisoned dwarf.

only marginally better thab the shit we 've already got.

And if we started winning match after match?

IMO it wouldn't even get to that, the shit that wise would get would be unbearable. Under a different regime if wise had turned up or been appointed manager then he might stand half a chance but because what has gone on before then I think no chance.

In footballing terms wise is like a genius compared to the likes of Ashley and Llambias, but in managing he is still lacking the X Factor.

Statistically his results show a win percentage in excess of 40%, with clubs like Millwall, Swindon and Leeds, but I doubt that would favour well in the Premiership.

In our recent history managers have come and gone too easily at Newcastle and that is reflected where we are now, the last three holders in the name of KK 29%, CH 0% and now JK with an outstanding 22% with only Ardiles worse at 21%.

Prior to this time we have the outstanding KK on 55% between 1992-1997, Roeder on a handsome 46% for his stint between 2006-2007.

One thing for sure is that we will never achieve stability for as long as this regime tries to muddle their way through our club.

Even Joe Harvey who was manager for the longest period since the 60's wheeled in with a paltry 38% for his time in charge 1962-1975. One thing did happen in this period, we won a trophy or two, one significant, the others not so. We won promotion from the 2nd division as champions in 1964/65, Inter Cities Fairs Cup 1969, FA Cup Runners up 1974, Anglo Italian Cup 1973, Texaco Cup 1974 and 1975. IMO stability in the management structure brought about this modest amount of success.

What all this demonstrates is a need for stability, we had the semblance of order for 5 years under KK and look what happened, Joe Harvey is testament to this view and just take a look at the successful teams in the PL and notice who are in the top few.

This coniferous cockney-botter is posting the same shit elsewhere I see:

ToonBart (IP Logged)

Registered User Date Joined: Sep, 2008

Re: The Dennis Wise Appreciation Thread

From small acorns mighy trees grow!

James Lawton -- The Independant

As the world-renowned Guus Hiddink yesterday settled into his duties as Chelsea's fourth manager in 18 months – and up in Newcastle there was a groundswell of support for a dream ticket of Dennis Wise and Gus Poyet.

Amazing what a bit of posting in various forums can achieve in a week.

Tynetalk these days is largely the dumbest of the dumb. Lawton must be going senile if he's taking opinion from there :D

As I've said I think we'll end up with Poyet. I also suspect it'll be grim. A couple of good months in the third division apart he's done nothing at all in management. It's another managerial disaster in the making.

And he wonders why I think he's a mackem wind-up merchant. :D

:)

I'd rather he was. If even a small number of Newcastle fans actually want Dennis Wise as manager then the rot has well and truly set in.

Edited by Big Onion

Once again Alex no opinion, no argument, no vision, no sense. :D

I've already given my opinion - you must remember because it was directly after you asked for it (in this thread iirc). All you've done however, is keep posting the same thing as though you believe by repeating yourself, your view gains some credibility. Backatcha :)

Edited by alex

Does it not say something that Wise never hangs around long enough for the stats to be meaningful anyway?

Surely it does, and if you look long and hard at his win ratio, when he was left to do the job by himself he was no better than Ardiles.

It also illustrates that any manager should be given sufficient time, that begs that you select someone with a track record.

This coniferous cockney-botter is posting the same shit elsewhere I see:

ToonBart (IP Logged)

Registered User Date Joined: Sep, 2008

Re: The Dennis Wise Appreciation Thread

From small acorns mighy trees grow!

James Lawton -- The Independant

As the world-renowned Guus Hiddink yesterday settled into his duties as Chelsea's fourth manager in 18 months – and up in Newcastle there was a groundswell of support for a dream ticket of Dennis Wise and Gus Poyet.

Amazing what a bit of posting in various forums can achieve in a week.

Tynetalk these days is largely the dumbest of the dumb. Lawton must be going senile if he's taking opinion from there :D

As I've said I think we'll end up with Poyet. I also suspect it'll be grim. A couple of good months in the third division apart he's done nothing at all in management. It's another managerial disaster in the making.

Might not be the biggest forum in the world but at least they have good footballing discussions. Some on here just want to agree with each other no matter what. Perpetual arse licking really.

Not only that, we are snobby as well.

Newcastle fans know better than anyone that a manager that actually is succesful is a fluke.

Just for starters, by what measure can you call Bobby Robson a fluke? Fuck me :D

Might not be the biggest forum in the world but at least they have good footballing discussions. Some on here just want to agree with each other no matter what.

Nah sorry like it's just full of mongs.

FFS God help us, not that Wise would be a bad choice, but it would add to the entertainment on match days.

imagine the shit he would get, not good, would be bad for morale, poisoned dwarf.

only marginally better thab the shit we 've already got.

And if we started winning match after match?

IMO it wouldn't even get to that, the shit that wise would get would be unbearable. Under a different regime if wise had turned up or been appointed manager then he might stand half a chance but because what has gone on before then I think no chance.

In footballing terms wise is like a genius compared to the likes of Ashley and Llambias, but in managing he is still lacking the X Factor.

Statistically his results show a win percentage in excess of 40%, with clubs like Millwall, Swindon and Leeds, but I doubt that would favour well in the Premiership.

In our recent history managers have come and gone too easily at Newcastle and that is reflected where we are now, the last three holders in the name of KK 29%, CH 0% and now JK with an outstanding 22% with only Ardiles worse at 21%.

Prior to this time we have the outstanding KK on 55% between 1992-1997, Roeder on a handsome 46% for his stint between 2006-2007.

One thing for sure is that we will never achieve stability for as long as this regime tries to muddle their way through our club.

Even Joe Harvey who was manager for the longest period since the 60's wheeled in with a paltry 38% for his time in charge 1962-1975. One thing did happen in this period, we won a trophy or two, one significant, the others not so. We won promotion from the 2nd division as champions in 1964/65, Inter Cities Fairs Cup 1969, FA Cup Runners up 1974, Anglo Italian Cup 1973, Texaco Cup 1974 and 1975. IMO stability in the management structure brought about this modest amount of success.

What all this demonstrates is a need for stability, we had the semblance of order for 5 years under KK and look what happened, Joe Harvey is testament to this view and just take a look at the successful teams in the PL and notice who are in the top few.

I agree thats what we need and my whole reasoning around wise and poyet is that they have previously worked well together and whoever comes in will have to work under wise.

Necastle fans know better than anyone that a manager that actually is succesful is a fluke. We have tried so many that should have worked but didnt. Then you look at people like Ramos. Hindsights great but all were raving about him before he came. You just dont know.

Its so predictable and sad to hear Bruce, Sven, Shearer etc. There are so many reasons why they wont work and will not happen. Wise and poyet could start straight away and are much preferable to Hughton or whoever else they may go for at short notice if hughton loses the first two games.

And Alex, the only stupid fans are ones like you who seem to be stuck in the past without any sign of a realistic argument for the future.

100% Give wise the job cos 100% when he fails Ashley will have to sack him and at least then we will be rid of one more waste of NUFC space and on the road to reducing the wage bill.

Once again Alex no opinion, no argument, no vision, no sense. :)

I've already given my opinion - you must remember because it was directly after you asked for it (in this thread iirc). All you've done however, is keep posting the same thing as though you believe by repeating yourself, your view gains some credibility. Backatcha :razz:

Fair do's you have. You want hoddle or venables. Both out of the game for a long time and totally unaware of the various strengths and qualities within our squad. Wise and poyet much better chance.

Isegrim: Snobby?????? WTF Better get used to having some different opinions then. :D

Are you just doing self-parody now then? We get it thanks.

Newcastle fans know better than anyone that a manager that actually is succesful is a fluke.

Just for starters, by what measure can you call Bobby Robson a fluke? Fuck me :D

Might not be the biggest forum in the world but at least they have good footballing discussions. Some on here just want to agree with each other no matter what.

Nah sorry like it's just full of mongs.

It appears that you are the mong. The point was about no guarantee that a manager is going to work. IE we all put forward different names, but for various reason some managers just dont work at some times at some clubs.

If that's what you meant, that's what you should have said. Either one is an almost entirely meaningless platitude in any case :)