£80k a week Viduka nearing Newcastle United exit

Jimbo

The Australian's £80,000-per-week contract expires this summer but it is understood the powers-that-be at the Tyneside club currently have no intention of extending his stay in the North-East The club's directors are planning to discuss new contracts with three Newcastle players but they do not intend to sit down with Viduka, 33, and his representatives as they try to slash a £73-million wage bill.

When Viduka joined Newcastle on a free transfer from Middlesbrough in July 2007 he signed a two-year deal with a one-year option available to both parties at the end of the initial period.

However, that relied on Viduka making a set amount of appearances and this term he has managed just five appearances this term due to an ankle injury.

The former Leeds and Celtic striker could have the chance to persuade his paymasters to have a change of heart and is in contention for a place in the Newcastle side that will play Everton on Sunday.

Meanwhile Newcastle's caretaker coaches Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood could call for backup in the absence of convalescing Joe Kinnear.

Hughton said: "We're both coaches who are used to the training pitch.

"There will be some parts of training that I will take and some that Colin will take, but on the Saturday I will be the manager and he will be assisting me.

"He's a good person for me to lean on because he's had managerial experience, but if at any stage we felt we needed to bring someone in, we would. But the only reason we would do that is to cover.

"We feel that we're OK at the moment, but we wouldn't hesitate to do it if we felt like we needed another body to perhaps do some individual work. We wouldn't hesitate to do that."

The Australian's £80,000-per-week contract expires this summer but it is understood the powers-that-be at the Tyneside club currently have no intention of extending his stay in the North-East The club's directors are planning to discuss new contracts with three Newcastle players but they do not intend to sit down with Viduka, 33, and his representatives as they try to slash a £73-million wage bill.

When Viduka joined Newcastle on a free transfer from Middlesbrough in July 2007 he signed a two-year deal with a one-year option available to both parties at the end of the initial period.

However, that relied on Viduka making a set amount of appearances and this term he has managed just five appearances this term due to an ankle injury.

The former Leeds and Celtic striker could have the chance to persuade his paymasters to have a change of heart and is in contention for a place in the Newcastle side that will play Everton on Sunday.

Meanwhile Newcastle's caretaker coaches Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood could call for backup in the absence of convalescing Joe Kinnear.

Hughton said: "We're both coaches who are used to the training pitch.

"There will be some parts of training that I will take and some that Colin will take, but on the Saturday I will be the manager and he will be assisting me.

"He's a good person for me to lean on because he's had managerial experience, but if at any stage we felt we needed to bring someone in, we would. But the only reason we would do that is to cover.

"We feel that we're OK at the moment, but we wouldn't hesitate to do it if we felt like we needed another body to perhaps do some individual work. We wouldn't hesitate to do that."

Shame in some ways as Viduka wants to go to South Africa with Australia next world cup which means he has to find form and fitness.

His best season in England arguably was the season leading up to 2006 Germany.

Oh well, they've shown they know what they are doing time and time again, so they probably know best!

edit: By the way he'd be worth a pay as you play deal.

Edited by sammynb

Shame in some ways as Viduka wants to go to South Africa with Australia next world cup which means he has to find form and fitness.

His best season in England arguably was the season leading up to 2006 Germany.

Oh well, they've shown they know what they are doing time and time again, so they probably know best!

edit: By the way he'd be worth a pay as you play deal.

Cynical folks have long suggested he only rises from his sick bed when he has to negotiate a new contract or there's a tournament involving the 'Roos. Certainly hasn't started enough games for us.

He was able to hold us to ransom because he left Boro on a free. Almost 4 million pounds over a season is ridiculous, but if we had bought a 4 million pound striker (eg. Harewood) then his wages go on top of the 4 million, and Viduka is miles better than Harewood. Having said that, he's only better if he's playing. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

A pay when you play, with some healthy goal/assist bonuses would be handy. He is keen to go to South Africa, so he'll want to be playing as much football as possible. If we don't resign him on that basis hopefully we can get some value out of him before the season is out. Australia still has a number of qualifiers that he may be keen to participate in, so he'll be working hard to get on the pitch as much as possible for NUFC.

He was able to hold us to ransom because he left Boro on a free. Almost 4 million pounds over a season is ridiculous, but if we had bought a 4 million pound striker (eg. Harewood) then his wages go on top of the 4 million, and Viduka is miles better than Harewood. Having said that, he's only better if he's playing. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

A pay when you play, with some healthy goal/assist bonuses would be handy. He is keen to go to South Africa, so he'll want to be playing as much football as possible. If we don't resign him on that basis hopefully we can get some value out of him before the season is out. Australia still has a number of qualifiers that he may be keen to participate in, so he'll be working hard to get on the pitch as much as possible for NUFC.

If he ends up leaving, he'll probably end up in the A League (is he a Melbourne boy???). Which is a pity for him, as Pim (our nat. manager) is not too keen on choosing home-based players for the 1st team Socceroos squad (only Craig Moore--ex. Mags too--ever gets regular call up for the 1st squad).

He's still great at holding up the ball and using his size in and near the box ... it's just that he's never fit.

To be fair he doesn't deserve a new contract. The question is whether he'll be replaced.

No option is a good one; he stays = bad, he goes and isn't replaced = bad, he goes and is replaced by a Championship also ran = bad.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, a player signing on a 'free' (and also players renewing their contracts) get a sign-on payment as well.

If I'm right, Viduka will have pocketed around £1m-ish for agreeing to come here, which adds to the overall total cost.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong - though I divvent think I am.

Shit! half me bourbon biscuit has snapped off into me coffee when I was dunking it just then. See what he's made me do :D Get rid!!

Unless I'm very much mistaken, a player signing on a 'free' (and also players renewing their contracts) get a sign-on payment as well.

If I'm right, Viduka will have pocketed around £1m-ish for agreeing to come here, which adds to the overall total cost.

Shit! half me bourbon biscuit has snapped off into me coffee when I was dunking it just then. See what he's made me do :D Get rid!!

Aye, but I'm not sure I believe he's on £80k excluding the signing-on fee. I would imagine that's been factored in, if this accurate, which I'm dubious about. I don't doubt he'll be on a bomb like.

If he ends up leaving, he'll probably end up in the A League (is he a Melbourne boy???). Which is a pity for him, as Pim (our nat. manager) is not too keen on choosing home-based players for the 1st team Socceroos squad (only Craig Moore--ex. Mags too--ever gets regular call up for the 1st squad).

He's still great at holding up the ball and using his size in and near the box ... it's just that he's never fit.

It's just that he can't be arsed most of the time, more like.

Aye, but I'm not sure I believe he's on £80k excluding the signing-on fee. I would imagine that's been factored in, if this accurate, which I'm dubious about. I don't doubt he'll be on a bomb like.

It was often reported at 60k.