Villa fan here

AVFC Villan

I'm not here for a wind up, to take the piss or just be a twat.

Always had great respect towards your club. It's a shame to see Newcastle where they are now, a club of your size should be battling in the top 4 with us, as we are pretty similar clubs in size although I would say in all honesty you have better fans.

I'd kill to have your fans, ours aren't all that great if i'm being totally honest, going as far as booing the team this season when we couldn't score against Wigan. Our away support is fine, but you can get usually 50,000 in St James' every week whilst we struggle to get 40 even with our current sucess :D

I hope Mike Ashley sells up, your not going anywhere with him as your current owner unfortunately, what happened to him selling up anyway? We're quite lucky with Lerner not wanting to get involved with transfers etc. Wasn't that why Keegan left?

Hopefully we can get revenge at Villa Park after you outplayed us at your place last time we met. :)

Anyway, every Toon fan i've met has been a decent bloke, hopefully it's the same here.

Move this thread if it's posted in the wrong place.

You're right, it is a shame.

Ashley is going nowhere in the immediate future. There's no market to sell the club, particularly when taking into account the price Ashley has put on it.

We should still be an attractive prospect as we are still in the Top 20 Clubs in the World in terms of revenue generated (ticket sales, merchandise sales etc), so it's clear that there is a very good foundation of support to build upon. Unfortunately Ashley has proceeded to alienate and upset just about all of the supporters despite having them more or less fully behind him when he first took over.

Can't help but admire the way that Villa have gone about things this season. Will be interesting to see whether they can hang onto a Top 4 spot (hopefully it doesn't hinge on the final match of the season), and even more interesting to see whether they can back this season up next season.

Ashley is going nowhere in the immediate future. There's no market to sell the club, particularly when taking into account the price Ashley has put on it.

We should still be an attractive prospect as we are still in the Top 20 Clubs in the World in terms of revenue generated (ticket sales, merchandise sales etc), so it's clear that there is a very good foundation of support to build upon. Unfortunately Ashley has proceeded to alienate and upset just about all of the supporters despite having them more or less fully behind him when he first took over.

Can't help but admire the way that Villa have gone about things this season. Will be interesting to see whether they can hang onto a Top 4 spot (hopefully it doesn't hinge on the final match of the season), and even more interesting to see whether they can back this season up next season.

You should still be able to sell it really if your in the top 20 in terms of revenue. If somebody bought Man City, surely somebody out there would buy a much bigger club like Newcastle. Well, one can hope.

How come Ashley stopped putting money into Newcastle?

According to Joe Kinnear he's lost more money than he was ever reported to have. :D

Some say he never intended to put significant amounts of money into the club. Some say he did, but has lost interest and money as a result of the credit crisis. The figures we get about Ashley's spending differs vastly despending upon who is saying it and what their agenda is. Basically noone knows for certain how much Mike Ahsley has put into the club, how much he is 'worth' or how much he is planning in investing in the future.

Clearly though they are attempting to clean out our higher-than-our-performances wage bill. I see this as a good thing, so long as it is done sensibly.

I do believe that, and here's a few big ifs, if we survive this season and the GFC starts getting a bit better come the end of 2009, we'll still be a juicy prospect to some Indian/American/Nigerian/Saudi billionaire.

If we keep MA, we'll be out of that top 20 list sooner rather than later.

Oh, and hello to the new Villa fan. Top manager you have there!

I do believe that, and here's a few big ifs, if we survive this season and the GFC starts getting a bit better come the end of 2009, we'll still be a juicy prospect to some Indian/American/Nigerian/Saudi billionaire.

GFC? Global Finance Clusterfuck?

Cheers :D

I actually thought you had one in Allardyce, seems Ashley didn't agree...

And as for Kinnear, he'll do enough to keep you in the premiership but that's not what you should be aiming for, you do have a good enough team though. Barton( not a bad player, despite being a twat), Nolan, Duff, Martins, Owen, need a few quality defenders though IMO.

@Stevie: Haha, well it isn't a fantastic chant, but it's ours and I wouldn't change anything for it.

Cheers :D

And as for Kinnear, he'll do enough to keep you in the premiership but that's not what you should be aiming for, you do have a good enough team though. Barton( not a bad player, despite being a twat), Nolan, Duff, Martins, Owen, need a few quality defenders though IMO.

@Stevie: Haha, well it isn't a fantastic chant, but it's ours and I wouldn't change anything for it.

I was wondering. Do you know how much debt Villa had when Lerner took over? Had 'Deadly Doug' kept a tight ship, in that regard? (don't know why I was typing that with a meedlunds accent, but I couldn't help it!!)

Also, in respect of defenders, I expect O'Neil and other top managers to come with their bags of gold for Bassong in the summer.

Cheers :)

I was wondering. Do you know how much debt Villa had when Lerner took over? Had 'Deadly Doug' kept a tight ship, in that regard? (don't know why I was typing that with a meedlunds accent, but I couldn't help it!!)

Also, in respect of defenders, I expect O'Neil and other top managers to come with their bags of gold for Bassong in the summer.

We were never in any debt at any one point under Doug's reign. Not because he was a financial genius, but because we spent fuck all. We paid cheap and for that, we got cheap quality players. There is some ridiculous reasons for us not signing players with Doug, something involving being unable to call somebody, so a player went elsewhere. :D Can't remember it exactly though.

I'm half expecting us to come in for Owen this summer, unsure about him, we don't need him but he can still finish like one of the best.

Beye always looks a quality player when i watch Newcastle, so does.. Jonas? ( Can't, and won't say his first name)

Lerner came in and we were half expecting the same thing again as he didn't make any real signings until his second season.

I'm half expecting us to come in for Owen this summer, unsure about him, we don't need him but he can still finish like one of the best.

Beye always looks a quality player when i watch Newcastle, so does.. Jonas? ( Can't, and won't say his first name)

Lerner came in and we were half expecting the same thing again as he didn't make any real signings until his second season.

Owen can still score his fair share of goals, however there's been several times where Michael Owen has missed goals that a striker the calibre of Michael Owen should have scored :D .

Beye is definitely quality. Very good positionally and rarely goes to ground without making the tackle. We've really missed him this season with his injuries, he was clearly our best player last season. Jonas (Honas) is his first name, and that's the name he likes to be called by because he likes his first name: "I like my my name" :) . He's a good tricky player who works hard in getting up and down the pitch. He's started to develop a good relationship playing down the left with Jose Enrique, a young Spanish full-back who has threatened to be our best left back in years, but as yet hasn't fully delivered on his potential (he's quick, strong, and has a good left foot). A relatively unknown French defender Sebastian Bassong has been our best defender this season. He only got a run in the side when Steven Taylor was injured, but he has rightfully held onto the spot ever since (excluding when he picked up a Red card in an incident that is best left undiscussed).

Cheers :razz:

We were never in any debt at any one point under Doug's reign. Not because he was a financial genius, but because we spent fuck all. We paid cheap and for that, we got cheap quality players. There is some ridiculous reasons for us not signing players with Doug, something involving being unable to call somebody, so a player went elsewhere. :) Can't remember it exactly though.

You didnt have a phone? :D

Welcome.

For Mike Ashley read Doug Ellis. Some fans (as far as I can tell, a vocal handful of internet addicts) seem quite happy that we are plunging headlong towards relegation 'as long as we keep a tight ship'. I think the hospital allows them a computer in their room if they take their medication and they can type well enough with their toes.

However according to my matchgoing relatives most toon fans range from angry to apathetic, with support for Ashley very thin on the ground. People are utterly fed up with the shite on view, which has been the case for several years now, and the Board's contemptuous attitude. Attendances will probably fall next season as a result.

The Board don't seem to have clue. They've cited Arsenal and (lately) Villa as role models, but won't invest in the first team to any significant degree and think poor old washed up Joe is the man to take us forward. All our hopes seem to be pinned on surviving from year to year until a crop of Fabregas-alikes magically appear from our youth ranks. They have a 5 year plan they assure us and waggle their eyebrows, like latter day Stalinists.

I'm told the atmosphere is generally dreadful at SJP in comparison to years gone by. The thing is, expectation is so low now, if someone with some managerial talent could come in and make us mediocre, with some decent football and the prospect of competing, I think most toon fans would be happy.

Villa have shown how it's done and good luck to you. I envy you your manager and owner, you deserve it after the years of Ellis. I hope you knock Arsenal or Chelsea out of the Champions League places, now that would be funny.

You should still be able to sell it really if your in the top 20 in terms of revenue. If somebody bought Man City, surely somebody out there would buy a much bigger club like Newcastle. Well, one can hope.

With statements like that you might even get Stevie to welcome you here. :)

Nice to have you here mate, I think we're all pretty much looking at you lot with envy at how you're being run. Good luck this year. :D

Cheers :)

We were never in any debt at any one point under Doug's reign. Not because he was a financial genius, but because we spent fuck all. We paid cheap and for that, we got cheap quality players. There is some ridiculous reasons for us not signing players with Doug, something involving being unable to call somebody, so a player went elsewhere. :D Can't remember it exactly though.

Villa have quite a large debt now.

They were after Newcastle ahead of Man City, unfortunately Ashley's astronomical price put them off - something he and everyone else is regretting now.

Villa have quite a large debt now.

I haven't heard, but you might know more than me about our finances, from what i know we're not in any debt. Though you're most likely right with the 85mil MON has spent since taking over, and putting a charity as our shirt sponsor.

@Kitman: That all sounds eeriely familiar, we were hoping for a team of Gareth Barry's and instead got Juan Pablo Angel, and Benito Carbone. :D

We were at least content, if not frustrated that we had 11th place pretty much reserved for us every year, then next year then DOL came along and showed us that we can, and will go lower, finishing 16th.

Wasn't Ashley originally putting money into Newcastle, then stopped? If only he'd of let Keegan pick the transfer targets to begin with. We are lucky our chairman knows fuck all about football. And even luckier he doesn't fancy himself as a manager - chosing transfers him self.

Edited by AVFC Villan

A lot of the money that Ashley has 'put into' the club has been to seemingly improve the financial foundations of the club. Any significant outlay of transfer money was done in preparation for the shedding of players on high wages. Eg. Bring in a Xisco for 5 million, shed a Viduka who is costing you that much in wages. Xisco is young and promising, and so will seemingly become a saleable asset. He'll be on wages that are a fraction of the cost of Viduka, and in the design when purchasing I'm sure they foresaw a profit when he is sold. The fact that within their own company and structure they then proceeded to completely fuck up this 'initiative' by not only not playing Xisco in the first team, but also deriding his confidence by having the outspoken manager completely omit him from any of his media verbalised plans (despite having a significant crisis of injuries in that position) speaks volumes for the ineptitute of our Directors/Owner and Management.

That's just an example, I personally could name more of their schemes, as could other members of this forum.

What's hard for us to do is distance the Owner and his Merry Band of Miscreants from the history and tradition of Newcastle United.

We are lucky our chairman knows fuck all about football.

Llambias and Ashley combined can only aspire to one day know as much as fuck all about football.