Ashley to try to halt season ticket sale decline...

smoggeordie

NEWCASTLE United are set to respond to the threat of a major drop in season ticket holders next season with a number of initiatives designed to persuade disgruntled supporters to renew.

The United hierarchy are so concerned by the prospect of falling attendances at St James’s Park that they will write to every season ticket holder to urge them to stick with the club, despite another disappointing campaign.

Although owner Mike Ashley has stabilised the club’s debt with his own money over the last 20 months, his business plan hinges to a large extent on the presumption that the Magpies will continue to have around 40,000 season ticket holders each year.

That figure, though, is under significant threat, as a large number of supporters weigh up whether to renew their tickets when there are so many misgivings about Ashley’s regime, and a deepening recession to worry about.

A number of Newcastle supporters who signed up for last year’s fixed-price, three-year season ticket scheme have contacted The Journal to ask about whether they can cancel their direct debit payments and escape from the contract.

The club are keen to prevent that from happening, and will look to reassure those who believe the club is no longer heading in the right direction with a personal letter from managing director Derek Llambias outlining Ashley’s vision for the future – and pleading with them not to desert the club in such troubled times.

Speaking to The Journal in an exclusive interview last week, Llambias responded to questions regarding the threat of stay-away fans by claiming the revenue generated will always go straight back into the club.

And he added: “Stay with us. Be strong, this is an incredible club and we need you to be behind us. We’re putting our money up front and we need you to support us.

“You can’t have it overnight, stay with your team.

“You’ve seen uglier football, stick with the team. We will get there.”

Whether that plea will be enough to persuade suspicious supporters – still annoyed by a lack of transfer expenditure – not to abandon their season tickets remains to be seen, although it will not be the only measure the club takes to tempt wavering fans.

With the credit crunch squeezing ever harder in everyday life, the club also

realise they need to offer financial incentives and The Journal has been told prices will be slashed in order to attract people back to the stadium next season.

Sunderland and Portsmouth have already announced price cuts for season tickets next season as long as they are renewed before the end of March, and Newcastle are believed to be preparing a similar sort of package.

Black Cats fans will save at least £30 on the price of a season ticket if they renew before the April 3 deadline, with children paying just £1 a game if they sign up to the deal with a full paying adult.

The details of Newcastle’s special offers are expected to be released later this week.

Meanwhile, Newcastle transfer target Stéphane M’Bia has rejected reports he has already agreed a deal to move to Newcastle in the summer.

The Magpies had a bid of £8m rejected for the Cameroon international last month, but have retained an interest in the highly-rated Rennes midfielder.

Llambias has already revealed that Newcastle intend to bid again for all of their January transfer targets.

But M’Bia insists that he will continue to keep his options open until the end of the season.

He said: “I have not agreed anything. I made myself clear that I wanted to join a club last season, but Rennes did not let me so I am still here.

“I need to finish the season strongly and we will see in the summer.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if those of us on the three year deal will get some of this "financial incentive". :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's in touble on that score, and it's entirely his own fault. 'You've had it worse', I mean christ almighty how fucking pathetic an appeal is that?

A hell of a lot of fans are unhappy - that in itself isn't unique but I think the sense of hopelessness is different. I certainly can't remember feeling as bleak about what the future holds as I do now. Not for nearly twenty years anyway. Add in the economic situation and the knowledge that tickets will be generally available on a match-by-match basis for the forseeable future and you've got a guaranteed drop in ST sales.

Relegation would obviously seal the deal but sales will be down regardless. If the football stays as bad as it is I can see us getting sub 40k next season on occasion. If they think this 'jam tomorrow' tactic is going to work ad infinitum they're in for a nasty shock I reckon.

You could almost see this desperate act having a detrimental effect on ST sales to be honest. It's tantamount to saying we won't be getting many decent signings or sorting out a good manager.

'The club are keen to prevent that from happening, and will look to reassure those who believe the club is no longer heading in the right direction with a personal letter from managing director Derek Llambias outlining Ashley’s vision for the future – and pleading with them not to desert the club in such troubled times.'

I'm honestly speechless :D

Fuck off and die you fat, patronising cunt.

He's striking me as like a bloke on death row. He's not sorry about the people he's killed but the closer he gets to the electric chair the more desperate he becomes, or something like that

He clearly reckoned that the fans were a bunch of mugs who would pack out the stadium regardless of the shite on show and allow him to complete his cost reductions and he's suddenly realised that that's not the case.

Is it only NOW occuring to them that they don't have a God given right to 40 thousand peoples' money in exchange for fuck all? :):D

That is the truly frightening thing - the depth of incompetence that keeps being demonstrated by Ashley Llambias Wise, whichever of them is making decisions is astounding.

There seems to be absolutely no understanding of our position, what is needed for the future or how to get there. Leadership is completely absent, no one is responsible for anything, and the recent attempts at communication have been almost worse than the silence that preceeded it.

I genuinely am worried for the future of the club, probably more so if Ashley isnt trying to asset strip and turn a profit. If he thinks the current situation and management of it is anywhere near satisfactory he is completely deluded

Here's an idea Ashley, as a sign of good faith on your part and that you're bothered about what the fans think sack that little cunt Dennis Wise and apologise for fucking Keegan about.

Is it only NOW occuring to them that they don't have a God given right to 40 thousand peoples' money in exchange for fuck all? :):D

That is the truly frightening thing - the depth of incompetence that keeps being demonstrated by Ashley Llambias Wise, whichever of them is making decisions is astounding.

There seems to be absolutely no understanding of our position, what is needed for the future or how to get there. Leadership is completely absent, no one is responsible for anything, and the recent attempts at communication have been almost worse than the silence that preceeded it.

I genuinely am worried for the future of the club, probably more so if Ashley isnt trying to asset strip and turn a profit. If he thinks the current situation and management of it is anywhere near satisfactory he is completely deluded

Aye, they seem oblivious to the seriousness of the situation as though it's a case of everything being ok, if not ideal.

Aye, they seem oblivious to the seriousness of the situation as though it's a case of everything being ok, if not ideal.

I think that they think they have plenty of time to do what they want with their 'business plan', what they don't realise is that football isn't like any other business.

I think that they think they have plenty of time to do what they want with their 'business plan', what they don't realise is that football isn't like any other business.

For one thing - good players, managers and coaches etc. are finite and (usually) expensive resources. They can also afford to be choosy about who they work for. Which is a little bit different to how Sports Direct does things.

For one thing - good players, managers and coaches etc. are finite and (usually) expensive resources. They can also afford to be choosy about who they work for. Which is a little bit different to how Sports Direct does things.

All joking aside, it's quite scary to comprehend that he's applied the same business model to Newcastle United.

I can't understand how the bloke is so rich tbh - rather than decent business acumen, it's surely a case of him having been in the right place at the right time?