Beye Sets Sights On Toon Return

Scottish Mag

HABIB Beye has told Newcastle United fans that he is working around the clock to get back in action and help the Magpies continue their climb away from the top-flight trapdoor.

The Senegal ace suffered ankle ligament damage during the 2-1 defeat at Wigan on Boxing Day following a reckless challenge from Latics midfielder Lee Cattermole.

But, having now discarded his crutches and protective boot, Beye is stepping up his comeback bid at the club's North Tyneside headquarters.

And while a first-team return may be at least eight weeks away, the former Marseille skipper is hopeful of lending his weight to United's survival cause for what could be a decisive final month of the season.

"I've now started my recovery and I can do some work with my ankle on the bike and also some boxing," Habib told nufcTV in an exclusive interview.

"I hope to be back training in about five weeks but I don't want to rush things because it was a bad injury.

"I want to come back with a solid ankle so if I have to wait a little bit longer then so be it.

"Myself and the Doc decided not to have surgery and he has done a great job with me and my ankle feels good."

But Beye admits it was a difficult period in the New Year as he limped into training each day only to watch his team-mates head out to continue their preparations for the next match.

"When you come into training on your crutches every day and you see your team-mates going out to training it's hard," he added.

"But now I'm a part of the team because when you have crutches and you do nothing you think you are nothing!

"It's good to have my boot off so I can come back into training and sweat a little bit.

"I have to work hard and the hard work is still ahead of me, but I'm very happy to be back working towards playing again.

"Three months out is a long time and I just can't wait to be back."

Just think as well though. If it was a few months down the line there's no way Ashley would have allowed his signing to go through due to his age and lack of re-sale value.

Just think as well though. If it was a few months down the line there's no way Ashley would have allowed his signing to go through due to his age and lack of re-sale value.

100% correct. I don't think there's anything wrong with a plan where you buy players with the principles you outline in mind. But you can't be 1) too rigid with it and 2) rule out buying old experienced players to do a job.

the extention of Butt's contract means that we actually signed a 34 years old midfielder who can barely walk.

that means that we rely on old i mean really old players and this shit about not buying older players is just stupid.

nicky fucking butt is the right example of that.

Hasn't Butt just been offered a new deal at (presumably) much less than he's on now? No way they'd sign a player like that on the wages he's currently on so it's not really that apt a comparison is it?

Hasn't Butt just been offered a new deal at (presumably) much less than he's on now? No way they'd sign a player like that on the wages he's currently on so it's not really that apt a comparison is it?

when you look at this from financial point of view is good but when you think about that the newcastle board and the newcastle managerial stuff thinks that Nicky Butt can still play at this level is slightly to say worrying.

im not saying he is going to be regular next season but still...

imo he has been the poorest player for us this season.

as far as i remember he has conceded at least 3 penalties against us and also the freek kick that led to the richardson wining goal against the scum.

All I meant was - offering Butt a deal isn't really a new signing. I agree that it's a worry they've even offered him a new contract though.

They probably see him as an old head who can captain the youngsters when we are playing championship football..

If ameobi is worth a three year contract, then Butt is worth one year as a squad player.

To me, awarding a three year contract implies the player is seen as an integral part of the team. That alone is sufficient reason not to bother going next season.

Beye quite simply has been our biggest miss this season, just infront of oba martins. He brings a calming influence to side paired with his experience and drive down the right, and defensively he is solid and one of our most consistant performers.

With Ryan Taylor coming in we now have a natural replacement until he is back and propper cover should injury strike again. In all honesty i think if Coloccini can settle a little better and get to grips with the PL we have a pretty decent back four in... Beye - Coloccini - Bassong - R.Taylor.

As for Butt, this topic should be like himself "exhausted"...He was a player of great quality at ManUre alongside Scholesy. The simple fact is he has been our biggest liability this season, a minimum of 3 penalties conceded, numerous dangerous freekicks given away around the box and absolutely appaulling distrebution and retention of the ball.

I can only hope his new deal is on an amount that reflects his current ability and standing in the side. We have to rely on him for a few weeks yet which is a worry, but that being said, in the back of my mind im not too sure if when Guthrie comes back he will be replaced in the side?

I just dont think none of the coaching staff have the cahooners to oust him from the side and put in Guthrie. A midfield pairing and Guthrie and Nolan mite not have the creative guile, but it would be dig and drive stuff, industrious and far less calamitous than a midfield with Butt in it.

I think I'd play Enrique LB instead of Taylor but agree that is a canny back four. I think a few of us said that when that lot played together and we had a few clean sheets when Kinnear 1st took over. Haven't seen a great deal of Taylor but I wouldn't be against seeing what he's like on the right with Jonas on the left. I think Duff is ineffectual out wide these days and is actually a better bet through the middle upfront as he still makes some decent, well-timed runs.

I think I'd play Enrique LB instead of Taylor but agree that is a canny back four. I think a few of us said that when that lot played together and we had a few clean sheets when Kinnear 1st took over. Haven't seen a great deal of Taylor but I wouldn't be against seeing what he's like on the right with Jonas on the left. I think Duff is ineffectual out wide these days and is actually a better bet through the middle upfront as he still makes some decent, well-timed runs.

I agree!

When we had a few clean sheets i was starting to think that we could be onto something in terms of a stable back 4.

What makes me think is...Lambrini come out and said "We are dissapointed we didnt get another RB" so im thinking they didnt sign R.Taylor as a RB, so maybe, just maybe they do see him as a RW?

Id be quite happy keeping Enrique at LB as he is finally starting to show MORE signs that he could well turn out to be a good LB for us.

But as for playin Taylor RW and Gutierrez LW we face a similar problem to Butt with Duff. Both shouldnt be in the side but both find themselves in the starting 11. And i just dont think our coaching staff have the tactical and ability awareness to drop them from the side.

Alex mate id love to see this side when fully fit....

---Harper---

---Beye-Coloccini-Bassong-Enrique---

---R.Taylor--Barton--Nolan--Gutierrez---

---Martins---Lovenkrands---

Subs: Krul, Kadar, S.Taylor, Duff, Guthrie, Smith, Carroll

Butt as an emergancy reserve, Duff only on the bench as i dont see him leaving but id love to let him go and go get Joe Ledley, Smith on the bench as a ulitity player and Carroll on there ONLY if we dont get another striker....which i HOPE to god we do as Owen and Viduka will be leaving.

That all being said....that above team alex aint to bad really is it?

Are you on about next season btw? Because I hope Owen and Viduka have a role to play this one, and I think we'll need them too.

Yeah next season mate, hence why i said we'd have another striker in and hopefully another LW.

I totally agree about owen and viduka playing a role.....id like to see oba and viduka against everton but again with my lack of faith in our coaching staff they will both be on the bench and we'll start with smith and ameobi upfront. :D

Are you on about next season btw? Because I hope Owen and Viduka have a role to play this one, and I think we'll need them too.

Yeah next season mate, hence why i said we'd have another striker in and hopefully another LW.

I totally agree about owen and viduka playing a role.....id like to see oba and viduka against everton but again with my lack of faith in our coaching staff they will both be on the bench and we'll start with smith and ameobi upfront. :D

Big game as well because the matches after that are tough as owt. Mind, Everton's away record is superb this season iirc so a draw would be alright imo.

Big game as well because the matches after that are tough as owt. Mind, Everton's away record is superb this season iirc so a draw would be alright imo.

Maybe its my blinded optimism but iv just got a feeling we are ging to turn in one of those rare but majestic performances. 2 or 3-1.

We've not lost at home to Everton since 2001.