Shepherd versus Ashley

Ketsbaia

Fat Geordie twat or fat southern twat?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Shepherd. People complain, justifiably to an extent, about the club having been something of a cash cow for the Halls and Shepherds. But there'd have been no money to be made if the Halls and Shepherds hadn't completely transformed the club in the first place. He also wanted the club to be successful; but his/the boards's decision-making at critical points in the later years let them and the club down. I also think Shepherd is quite right to point out that the stadium Ashley got when he bought the club would cost a fortune to build today. That £57mil which forms a substantial part of the inherited debt Ashley and co. frequently make reference to is chickenfeed in comparison. The stadium is no use if it's got 20,000 empty seats, which we're heading for if we're a perpetual bottom third/relegation-battle club.

The Ashley 'plan' is a pie-in-the-sky piece of horseshit. Most of these young players are 3-5 years from first-team football, the majority of them are unlikely to make it (as has always been the case in football), and the best of them will move to an ambitious club as soon as they get the opportunity. The plan for the interim seems to consist of bumping along on a zero net spend and hoping we don't get fucking relegated. What a crock of shit it all is.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shepherd. People complain, justifiably to an extent, about the club having been something of a cash cow for the Halls and Shepherds. But there'd have been no money to be made if the Halls and Shepherds hadn't completely transformed the club in the first place. He also wanted the club to be successful; but his/the boards's decision-making at critical points in the later years let them and the club down. I also think Shepherd is quite right to point out that the stadium Ashley got when he bought the club would cost a fortune to build today. That £57mil which forms a substantial part of the inherited debt Ashley and co. frequently make reference to is chickenfeed in comparison. The stadium is no use if it's got 20,000 empty seats, which we're heading for if we're a perpetual bottom third/relegation-battle club.

The Ashley 'plan' is a pie-in-the-sky piece of horseshit. Most of these young players are 3-5 years from first-team football, the majority of them are unlikely to make it (as has always been the case in football), and the best of them will move to an ambitious club as soon as they get the opportunity. The plan for the interim seems to consist of bumping along on a zero net spend and hoping we don't get fucking relegated. What a crock of shit it all is.

The young players are intended to sell on anyway.

Of course they are. I remember watching Ashley's media bum-boy Rob Beasley on the Sunday Supplement and he said (I'm paraphrasing but it's very close): "Spurs sold Berbatov to Man U for £32mil; why can't Newcastle do the same'. Now obviously Berbatov is a somewhat different example as he was bought by spuds as a mature player. But the point remains the same.

No good will come of these fuckers running our club.

Of course they are. I remember watching Ashley's media bum-boy Rob Beasley on the Sunday Supplement and he said (I'm paraphrasing but it's very close): "Spurs sold Berbatov to Man U for £32mil; why can't Newcastle do the same'. Now obviously Berbatov is a somewhat different example as he was bought by spuds as a mature player. But the point remains the same.

No good will come of these fuckers running our club.

The only light on the horizon is that they are desperate to get out (still are). This is what the obsessive immediate balancing

of the books is about.

Speaking of Shepherd....

from .COM

2006 Speaking about the vacant position of manager, Chairman Freddy Shepherd said:

"There have been stories sweeping Tyneside about who I'm supposed to be meeting and where. It is highly organised and designed to make people a lot of money.

"There was even a 'leaked' full colour brochure doing the rounds in Newcastle which laid out Ottmar Hitzfeld's CV and his record as a manager.

"It's amazing the lengths people will go to start a rumour which means they can bet for or against a certain person getting the job.

"But I can state here and now that there has been no approach to Hitzfeld and there are no plans to approach him.

"I've said all along we will take our time over this appointment. We've rushed into things before and we've made mistakes, I admit that.

"That's not the case this time. Glenn Roeder is an excellent caretaker, a really safe pair of hands so we can afford to make sure we appoint the right man without the necessity of being hurried into it."

:D

According to Billy Furious he never even said that. He was only on about the prozzies. Which makes it ok, obviously :D

I have the Fake Shieks book and I can confirm he was only talking about our ladies of the night and NOT our wimmin in general.

Leeds 'did a Leeds' because they went down, more than anything. When have we been in more danger of being relegated, in recent times? Not since we last won promotion.

Aye, but their money problems effectively consigned them to relegation as they had to start selling players and bring in shite to replace it.

I do like the fact we're in some way cupable for the state Leeds are in now as we beat them to fourth place in 01/02 thus starting their financial troubles :D

True. Ridsdale's plans all hinged on them qualifying for the CL every year. A very dangerous assumption. Think we came from behind to beat them that season as well :D

I'd have to say Shepherd, show me which of the major clubs that do not have debt, and then ask their position in their respective league.

Under Ashley all we have done is move the debt and in a crisis who do you think he'll support, Ashley of course. If it comes to a final countdown and he has to make choices he will always back his first instincts, and where he made that money.

NUFC is his expensive plaything, his retailing empire is where he has made his money.

Whilst Shepherd is not the ideal I also hate that smug smile that emanates from Llambias. I also hate the fact that we have a poisoned little dwarf with vast amounts of influence on our club.

So for these reasons Shepherd wins my vote, hands down.

You convinced me with brilliant reasons, Shepherd it is :D

Everyone seems to forget the nose-dive the clubs been in for the past 5 years, it's no worse now than it has been for ages. Except of course we upset KK (alledgedly) and no-one ever liked Wise and shock hoprror he's got a job with us. Prejudice is blinding reality IMO

As for the debt level, OK lets have tons of debt BUT do you really think that Shepherd could have drummed up any more cash just now for players than the current bunch is doing ??

Leeds 'did a Leeds' because they went down, more than anything. When have we been in more danger of being relegated, in recent times? Not since we last won promotion.

Aye, but their money problems effectively consigned them to relegation as they had to start selling players and bring in shite to replace it.

I do like the fact we're in some way cupable for the state Leeds are in now as we beat them to fourth place in 01/02 thus starting their financial troubles :icon_lol:

True. Ridsdale's plans all hinged on them qualifying for the CL every year. A very dangerous assumption. Think we came from behind to beat them that season as well :D

Newcastle = Leeds killers :D

Frederick Sheppard for me. Thrift versus frugal. Thrift wins it for me though both have shocking records around appointing managers (short-term, long-term and temporary) and that has been a big problem. If Fred could have just made the right appointment at least once after Keegan then that could have been the making of him but he blew it every time. Fat cunt(s)

Frederick Sheppard for me. Thrift versus frugal. Thrift wins it for me though both have shocking records around appointing managers (short-term, long-term and temporary) and that has been a big problem. If Fred could have just made the right appointment at least once after Keegan then that could have been the making of him but he blew it every time. Fat cunt(s)

Robson? :D

I'd have to say Shepherd, show me which of the major clubs that do not have debt, and then ask their position in their respective league.

Under Ashley all we have done is move the debt and in a crisis who do you think he'll support, Ashley of course. If it comes to a final countdown and he has to make choices he will always back his first instincts, and where he made that money.

NUFC is his expensive plaything, his retailing empire is where he has made his money.

Whilst Shepherd is not the ideal I also hate that smug smile that emanates from Llambias. I also hate the fact that we have a poisoned little dwarf with vast amounts of influence on our club.

Says a lot about Ashley that FS is beating him in a poll. :D

The worst thing about Ashley is that he has basically chosen to bring it on himself.

Shepherd made mistakes (and it is unfair to blame FFS with giving the Halls their share), but at least you could see where it was coming from (even if it was sometimes driven by something as unadmirable as ego and greed).

Ashley.... well there's just so many ways he could have NOT ended up in the current situation.... and yet here we are....

Shepherd for sure. Either way you look at it, Shepherd would of ruined the club buy the financial mess he put it in (Supposidaly) and Fatshley will ruin the club buy trying to make money out of it. IMO the club is heading for the same place with either of them two fuckin idiots but at least with shepherd it would of been in stlye getting there.

nailed

You convinced me with brilliant reasons, Shepherd it is :D

Everyone seems to forget the nose-dive the clubs been in for the past 5 years, it's no worse now than it has been for ages. Except of course we upset KK (alledgedly) and no-one ever liked Wise and shock hoprror he's got a job with us. Prejudice is blinding reality IMO

As for the debt level, OK lets have tons of debt BUT do you really think that Shepherd could have drummed up any more cash just now for players than the current bunch is doing ??

no worse a reason than people slating Shepherd for "embarrassing" them with regular european football, a filled to capacity expanded ground, "trophy players" [laughable phrase] who were responsible for providing all of this instead of cheap imitations, and a couple of Cup Finals.

Big Onion has nailed this debate dead in its tracks with his comments.