Shepherd versus Ashley

Ketsbaia

Fat Geordie twat or fat southern twat?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Shepherd. People complain, justifiably to an extent, about the club having been something of a cash cow for the Halls and Shepherds. But there'd have been no money to be made if the Halls and Shepherds hadn't completely transformed the club in the first place. He also wanted the club to be successful; but his/the boards's decision-making at critical points in the later years let them and the club down. I also think Shepherd is quite right to point out that the stadium Ashley got when he bought the club would cost a fortune to build today. That £57mil which forms a substantial part of the inherited debt Ashley and co. frequently make reference to is chickenfeed in comparison. The stadium is no use if it's got 20,000 empty seats, which we're heading for if we're a perpetual bottom third/relegation-battle club.

The Ashley 'plan' is a pie-in-the-sky piece of horseshit. Most of these young players are 3-5 years from first-team football, the majority of them are unlikely to make it (as has always been the case in football), and the best of them will move to an ambitious club as soon as they get the opportunity. The plan for the interim seems to consist of bumping along on a zero net spend and hoping we don't get fucking relegated. What a crock of shit it all is.

nailed

Pretty much. I still think NUFC going along under Shepherd and the Halls was a slowly sinking ship (to do with John Hall and his changing attitude/involvement with the club as much as anything) with problems apparent and on the horizon, but it was still a slowly sinking one.

Ashley and crew seem to have done the equivalent of manufacturing their own iceberg to sail into and then decided to throw all the lifejackets/lifeboats overboard to save weight. :D

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frederick Sheppard for me. Thrift versus frugal. Thrift wins it for me though both have shocking records around appointing managers (short-term, long-term and temporary) and that has been a big problem. If Fred could have just made the right appointment at least once after Keegan then that could have been the making of him but he blew it every time. Fat cunt(s)

Robson? :D

Nailed. You are correct....I should have said at least two good appointments.... :D

I'd have to say Shepherd, show me which of the major clubs that do not have debt, and then ask their position in their respective league.

Under Ashley all we have done is move the debt and in a crisis who do you think he'll support, Ashley of course. If it comes to a final countdown and he has to make choices he will always back his first instincts, and where he made that money.

NUFC is his expensive plaything, his retailing empire is where he has made his money.

Whilst Shepherd is not the ideal I also hate that smug smile that emanates from Llambias. I also hate the fact that we have a poisoned little dwarf with vast amounts of influence on our club.

So for these reasons Shepherd wins my vote, hands down.

You convinced me with brilliant reasons, Shepherd it is :D

Everyone seems to forget the nose-dive the clubs been in for the past 5 years, it's no worse now than it has been for ages. Except of course we upset KK (alledgedly) and no-one ever liked Wise and shock hoprror he's got a job with us. Prejudice is blinding reality IMO

As for the debt level, OK lets have tons of debt BUT do you really think that Shepherd could have drummed up any more cash just now for players than the current bunch is doing ??

no worse a reason than people slating Shepherd for "embarrassing" them with regular european football, a filled to capacity expanded ground, "trophy players" [laughable phrase] who were responsible for providing all of this instead of cheap imitations, and a couple of Cup Finals.

Big Onion has nailed this debate dead in its tracks with his comments.

I agree Big Onion is spot on, IMO Cashley does not have a plan now and never will.

In terms of the debt, if the club is riding high, then who gives a toss, just look at the teams at the top.

Of course there has to be the means to pay it back, if we had carried on after those successful seasons wich KK and SBR gave us we would be still challenging now.

Instead we allowed managers to come and go, no consistency. Too often we have been happy to get rid quickly and TBF that illustrates some of our other failings, it is the selection process that needs to be sharpened.

Look who we have now, a caretaker that has a crap record, caretaking for the manager that has a not much better record.

Shepherd started this rot but Clueless Ashley has compounded it.

Hypothetical preferences aside, I've got no time at all for the view that the stagnation during the old board's later years somehow excuses the shambolic twenty months we've had under Ashley. This notion that the old board is somehow 'responsible' for our current problems is bonkers. Ashley bought the club lock, stock and barrel: it's entirely his responsibility.

He could see what he was buying: a club not fulfilling it's huge potential. If we'd been top four I daresay it would have cost a shitload more. I've said this elsewhere, but getting Keegan his left-back, and a playmaker/creative cm with the Milner money would have seen us go into the season with every chance of making good progress - and it wouldn't have required massive investment at all.

But he has faith in his 'plan', the stupid cunt :D

I'd have to say Shepherd, show me which of the major clubs that do not have debt, and then ask their position in their respective league.

Under Ashley all we have done is move the debt and in a crisis who do you think he'll support, Ashley of course. If it comes to a final countdown and he has to make choices he will always back his first instincts, and where he made that money.

NUFC is his expensive plaything, his retailing empire is where he has made his money.

Whilst Shepherd is not the ideal I also hate that smug smile that emanates from Llambias. I also hate the fact that we have a poisoned little dwarf with vast amounts of influence on our club.

Everyone seems to forget the nose-dive the clubs been in for the past 5 years, it's no worse now than it has been for ages. Except of course we upset KK (alledgedly) and no-one ever liked Wise and shock hoprror he's got a job with us. Prejudice is blinding reality IMO

As for the debt level, OK lets have tons of debt BUT do you really think that Shepherd could have drummed up any more cash just now for players than the current bunch is doing ??

no worse a reason than people slating Shepherd for "embarrassing" them with regular european football, a filled to capacity expanded ground, "trophy players" [laughable phrase] who were responsible for providing all of this instead of cheap imitations, and a couple of Cup Finals.

There is the question of sustainability. Please don't infer that I agree with everything Ashley is doing. In fact I hate pretty much everything he's doing. I also only think he's sorted us out by accident and it's cost him big time.

Nonetheless, Shepherd was like the good time Charlie who bought everyone drinks on his credit card. It might have been more fun but eventually it would have caught up with us. Don't forget, we were nowhere NEAR Europe for the last three years that Shepherd was here and massively in debt.

Edited by Asprilla

Last I heard it was the Villa model, which succeeded the now unfashionable Arsenal model. I think that's the current line anyway.

So, that'll be 10 yrs of spending nothing for a start? :D

Aye but we'll be alright man - challenging for 'everything' in five years :D

There is the question of sustainability. Please don't infer that I agree with everything Ashley is doing. In fact I hate pretty much everything he's doing. I also only think he's sorted us out by accident and it's cost him big time.

Nonetheless, Shepherd was like the good time Charlie who bought everyone drinks on his credit card. It might have been more fun but eventually it would have caught up with us. Don't forget, we were nowhere NEAR Europe for the last three years that Shepherd was here and massively in debt.

pardon me in case we are dreaming here, but we were 7th and played in the UEFA Cup less than 3 years ago.

Frederick Sheppard for me. Thrift versus frugal. Thrift wins it for me though both have shocking records around appointing managers (short-term, long-term and temporary) and that has been a big problem. If Fred could have just made the right appointment at least once after Keegan then that could have been the making of him but he blew it every time. Fat cunt(s)

Robson? :D

Nailed. You are correct....I should have said at least two good appointments.... :D

so you don't think a manager who won 4 titles with 2 different clubs and 3 manager of the year awards was a good appointment ?

Don't tell me you are Ozzie Mandiarse :icon_lol:

Last I heard it was the Villa model, which succeeded the now unfashionable Arsenal model. I think that's the current line anyway.

What they didn't tell us was that they meant the Doug Ellis Villa model rather than the Randy Learner one.

:D :D

What they didn't tell us was that they meant the Doug Ellis Villa model rather than the Randy Learner one.

Shh..... we'll be buying Milner back for £20m soon.

• 2 years later...

Leazes has it in his head that he's convinced me recently that Ashley's not as good as Shepherd, and that he's been something of a a lone voice in opposition to Ashley/support of Shepherd. He's forgetting that most of us have stated Shepherd was preferable years ago...

Team Shepherd

Kitman

Parky

Bawan

Holden

Alex

Dr Ken

Jackie's the Lad

Big Onion

Happy Face

Jay Jay Sea

Shear Class

LeazesMag

Fop

Team Ashley

Asprilla

Tom

Besty

CT

Toonpack

Snakehips

So Leazes, stick to the people on Team Ashley for your WUMmery please.

And mods, how come all the thread derailing posts aren't whacked in here anyway?

Edited by Happy Face

i was no fan of shepherd but you'd take him in a million years over ashley. he made stupid decisions that in my opinion stopped us from kicking on and genuinely challenging again after sbr re-established us as a top 6 side. but for all his fuck ups, from the pr howlers to sacking managers at the wrong time and appointing clowns that no one wanted, at least he cared about the club. at least he had some ambition. you can't say that about ashley.

Leazes has it in his head that he's convinced me recently that Ashley's not as good as Shepherd, and that he's been something of a a lone voice in opposition to Ashley/support of Shepherd. He's forgetting that most of us have stated Shepherd was preferable years ago...

Team Shepherd

Kitman

Parky

Bawan

Holden

Alex

Dr Ken

Jackie's the Lad

Big Onion

Happy Face

Jay Jay Sea

Shear Class

LeazesMag

Fop

Team Ashley

Asprilla

Tom

Besty

CT

Toonpack

Snakehips

And mods, how come all the thread derailing posts aren't whacked in here anyway?

Don't really specify YOU , not deliberately anyway.

Surely by now, there can't be many people stupid enough to think Ashley will ever get near the Halls and Shepherd though :lol:

We can all look forward to doing a lap of honour for finishing 10th in the premiership and selling our best players. Ecstatic stuff or what.

Y

Team Shepherd

Kitman

Parky

Bawan

Holden

Alex

Dr Ken

Jackie's the Lad

Big Onion

Happy Face

Jay Jay Sea

Shear Class

LeazesMag

Fop

Team Ashley

Asprilla

Tom

Besty

CT

Toonpack

Snakehips

Don't really specify YOU , not deliberately anyway.

Surely by now, there can't be many people stupid enough to think Ashley will ever get near the Halls and Shepherd though :lol:

We can all look forward to doing a lap of honour for finishing 10th in the premiership and selling our best players. Ecstatic stuff or what.

Only dug it up after you said...

"As it happens, HF and Gemmill [i think] agree with me on Mike Ashley, now."

As if you've convinced me of something.