Jade Goody

Kid Dynamite

This stuff about her raising awareness about screening is getting to me - are there really women who don't know about it?

This is going to sound horrible but what the hell - if such ignorance does exist should we be as sympathetic as "normal" if a case is missed throught said ignorance?

I'm positive a lot of women in their twenties don't give a moments thought to getting a screening....heck the government won't fund screenings if you're under 25.

I know there's a debate over the validity of a test up to that point, but I imagine a lot more 25's and over have put in for one now.

If i felt a bump in my nads I'd go to the doctor, if i couldn't feel my nads, I doubt I'd be pro-active about it, I'd wait until I felt something was wrong.

I know people getting sponsorship for Cancer Research too that weren't planning to until they watched Jade's story on Living. All credit to her and them for that.

It was a bi-product of her self-promotion campaign, certainly not an aim of it.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This stuff about her raising awareness about screening is getting to me - are there really women who don't know about it?

This is going to sound horrible but what the hell - if such ignorance does exist should we be as sympathetic as "normal" if a case is missed throught said ignorance?

I'm positive a lot of women in their twenties don't give a moments thought to getting a screening....heck the government won't fund screenings if you're under 25.

I know there's a debate over the validity of a test up to that point, but I imagine a lot more 25's and over have put in for one now.

If i felt a bump in my nads I'd go to the doctor, if i couldn't feel my nads, I doubt I'd be pro-active about it, I'd wait until I felt something was wrong.

I know people getting sponsorship for Cancer Research too that weren't planning to until they watched Jade's story on Living. All credit to her and them for that.

Fair enough - I just thought that girls would be made aware in schools these days - especially with the HPV vaccine.

Of course I'd guess that those from strict religious background of all types might miss out on info but I accept that culturally they'd be at less of a risk given generally less active sex lives.

Fair enough - I just thought that girls would be made aware in schools these days - especially with the HPV vaccine.

Of course I'd guess that those from strict religious background of all types might miss out on info but I accept that culturally they'd be at less of a risk given generally less active sex lives.

Not sure that being bought up in a religious background precludes you from having lots of sex. Catholic girls are right goers. :(

Good to see the death of Ted Hughes' and Sylvia Plath's son pushing her off the front page of the Times this morning.

Not that I give a fuck about his death but at least it wasn't her ugly mug looking at me.

She's only been bwaan bwed 24 hours you insensitive faakin maag, faakin pillar of our society was Jade me old san, faakin av a word [/DannyB]

:(

Not sure that being bought up in a religious background precludes you from having lots of sex. Catholic girls are right goers. :(

The ones that rebel yes (Thank the lord) - those that don't do follow the prescribed life course in general.

Perhaps

Goody has undoubtedly raised awareness but it was unintentional, she deosn't deserve credit for contracting cancer.

Neither does Michael J Fox deserve credit for contracting Parkinsons, or Terry Pratchett alzheimers. They deserve all the credit they get for raising awareness of those diseases though.

Irrespective of what you think about how they achieved the fame that allows them to raise awareness, the fact is they all do.

...Fox and Pratchett probably for less profit I'd speculate.

Which Prime Minister was it that made a plea to free Diedre Rashid?

:(

Blair (and it was good spin for him at the time too :(); although personally Fop reckons Brown calling Moyles and co. "great heroes" for doing what several 90 year olds have done is much more cringe-worthy.

Perhaps

Goody has undoubtedly raised awareness but it was unintentional, she deosn't deserve credit for contracting cancer.

Neither does Michael J Fox deserve credit for contracting Parkinsons, or Terry Pratchett alzheimers. They deserve all the credit they get for raising awareness of those diseases though.

Irrespective of what you think about how they achieved the fame that allows them to raise awareness, the fact is they all do.

You can't seriously compare Goody with Fox or Pratchett though. The latter two have been involved in fund-raising for research into the condition, Goody has just cashed in for herself and her own personal legacy. She is deserving of our sympathy for contracting cancer at such a young age and no more.

That whole sentence is wrong (and illegal in public). :(

Perhaps

Fox and Pratchett have both campaigned for research and help for their respective illnesses, in addition to both making significant financial contributions. Granted, time was against Goody but she did fuck all for other cancer sufferers. Given the outpouring of sympathy for her after it was announced she had cancer she could have easily raised a significant amount of money in donations wihout having to do very much.

The ones that rebel yes (Thank the lord) - those that don't do follow the prescribed life course in general.

Yes, but I meant the ones that rebel might still be ignorant about their sexual health because of their upbringing.

Btw not being a woman I wouldn't know, but I understand that having a cervical smear is pretty unpleasent. If there was an equivalent test in men I reckon most would avoid it.

I remember wishing death on her a few years ago while watching BB.

I often wish death on people who watch BB so I wouldn't feel too bad if I were you.

Perhaps

You can't seriously compare Goody with Fox or Pratchett though. The latter two have been involved in fund-raising for research into the condition, Goody has just cashed in for herself and her own personal legacy. She is deserving of our sympathy for contracting cancer at such a young age and no more.

I'll wager the bump in fund raising for Cancer Research on the back of Jade Goody's exposure at least matches the the other two for Alzheimers and Parkinsons.

I know what you're saying though, she never campaigned or owt. But I think there's bitterness towards Goody because of how she reached her level of fame compared to others.

Perhaps

I'll wager the bump in fund raising for Cancer Research on the back of Jade Goody's exposure at least matches the the other two for Alzheimers and Parkinsons.

I know what you're saying though, she never campaigned or owt. But I think there's bitterness towards Goody because of how she reached her level of fame compared to others.

I don't feel bitter but I am saddened our society can apparently idolize such an undeserving cause.

It's mental man. There's literally 1000s of kids die as a direct result of poverty every day across the world (for example) and there's all this attention about Jade. I know the way the media works, what makes good stories etc. and I know that I and loads of other people bury our heads in the sand about all the tragedy in the world. But it riles the fuck out of me when someone like Jade is made out to be a saint and a heroic figure and this is portrayed as some event which should move us all to tears.

Edited by alex

It's mental man. There's literally 1000s of kids die as a direct result of poverty every day across the world (for example) and there's all this attention about Jade. I know the way the media works, what makes good stories etc. and I know that I and loads of other people bury our heads in the sand about all the tragedy in the world. But it riles the fuck out of me when someone like Jade is made out to be a saint and a heroic figure and this is portrayed as some event which should move us all to tears.

Agreed.

She wasn't the devil she was portrayed to be when she generated 60,000 complaints for Channel 4 either.

Agreed.

She wasn't the devil she was portrayed to be when she generated 60,000 complaints for Channel 4 either.

That was sweet fa tbf. Hard-faced Jo out of S-Club's comeback went on the backburner as well, didn't it?

And didn't Gordon Brown have a pop at Jade back then btw? :(

Edited by alex

What i find a joke about this is the fact that the people who are saying "Oh poor Jade, blah blah" yet months ago its was "Fucking loud mouth slag"

Two faced wankers. Good luck to her getting the cash for her kids I say.

What he said. Fair play to her for getting the money for the bairns though, but like I say to a lot of people, cancer is a horrible disease..but it doesn't suddenly polish turds.

What i find a joke about this is the fact that the people who are saying "Oh poor Jade, blah blah" yet months ago its was "Fucking loud mouth slag"

What he said. Fair play to her for getting the money for the bairns though, but like I say to a lot of people, cancer is a horrible disease..but it doesn't suddenly polish turds.

I've not quite understood this stuff about raking in as much as she could for their education.

Wasn't Jade wealthy already?

The 6 TV series, 5 fitness videos, 2 biographies and 2 perfumes were quite big sellers they say. I always thought she was a millionaire.

I've not quite understood this stuff about raking in as much as she could for their education.

Wasn't Jade wealthy already?

The 6 TV series, 5 fitness videos, 2 biographies and 2 perfumes were quite big sellers they say. I always thought she was a millionaire.

And according to the paper her loving husband won't see a penny of it.

Though I give it a couple of days before he is splashed all over the papers telling his story, not to mention the inevitable book to follow.