Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United

bobbyshinton

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

I can't say I'm in any way surprised that Bruce can't make the connection between a team well drilled and aware of their game plan and one performing with high levels of motivation.

i thought the post match lascelles interview told us that this has dawned on the players too.

he looked depressed and shell shocked.

this was more than just a player who'd been on the end of hammering. it was like everything the supporters have been warning about for years, ashley's ownership, transfer policies, benitez's influence, appointment  of bruce, impending relegation etc had just hit him like a hammer.

the lad knows we're fucked and it's going to be a car crash to watch.

Edited by thebrokendoll

aye, other than going from someone of benitez's ability to a total non entity like bruce.

lascelles was utterly unconvincing when questioned about bouncing back from this. he didn't believe what he was saying himself.

no amount of bishop inspired soundbites from players about what a hoot bruce is to have around is going to change anything. he knows we're fucked.

34 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

aye, other than going from someone of benitez's ability to a total non entity like bruce.

lascelles was utterly unconvincing when questioned about bouncing back from this. he didn't believe what he was saying himself.

no amount of bishop inspired soundbites from players about what a hoot bruce is to have around is going to change anything. he knows we're fucked.

Lascelles was having a lengthy discussion with Perez after the game, with his hand over his mouth so cameras couldn't pick up what he was saying. Perez didn't bother to cover his mouth.

On 9/27/2019 at 19:00, Ayatollah Hermione said:

:lol: There's a worse left back in our squad

He got a 4 in the Times. He must have gotten 2 for tying his own laces like a big boy. His reading of the game is woeful, and his positional awareness is utter balls. But hey, he's a "local" lad, so he gets a bye. 

He's got to be the worst first XI left back in the league. Which is fitting, given that we have one of the worst managers, and a league position to match his ability. 

Bruce is not only one of the worst ever Premier League managers, but he's also of a different era, when "trying" was more important than ability, or coaching. He's fucking useless, but if there's a chance he'll hit MA's target of 17th, he's safe. 

Losers

Early loser Steve Bruce
Let’s start with a statistic, if only to give you something before it all gets a bit ranty. Rafael Benitez managed Newcastle United for 146 matches, and in that time they conceded more than three goals in a match on two occasions. The first of those was a 4-1 defeat at Old Trafford in November 2017, when Newcastle took the lead but eventually succumbed to United’s pressure in the second half. The second was in December 2018, when Liverpool scored two goals in the final 12 minutes at Anfield to beat Newcastle 4-0.

That is important, because it partly explains Benitez’s reason for often playing defensive football in away matches that Newcastle were favourites to lose. He figured that the chance of winning away at Big Six clubs was far smaller than the chance of getting a thumping, and a thumping can cause lasting psychological damage on the squad.

Even at the start of last season, when Newcastle were wretched, Benitez will argue that he was working on defensive organisation that would benefit the team later in the season. Only with that organisation in place could Newcastle look to attack. Over the last 16 league games of last season, only four teams scored more goals than Newcastle. They were transformed because they had a platform from which to attack.

Then there was a process. Now there is nothing. It isn’t just that Newcastle conceded five for the first time since the month before Benitez arrived. It isn’t just that this was a team that has had all the useful elements that Benitez forged unpicked and dismantled. It isn’t just that Steve Bruce is consistently picking players out of position, and then saying after the match that tactics are “nonsense” and it’s all about playing with pride despite Newcastle showing none of that either. It isn’t just that Bruce has a £40m centre forward that Benitez warned the club would be worse than Salomon Rondon and already looks vindicated on that point.

It’s that this was so utterly predictable from the moment it started. Bruce is not the disease, merely a symptom thereof. Newcastle allowed Benitez, the most capable manager they have had in 20 years, to walk because they couldn’t muster enough competence to convince him to stay. Benitez didn’t want vast transfer budgets. He didn’t even want the club to be jolted forward, merely pointed in the right direction. And in his place they appointed a Championship-level manager because he was likely to say yes and come cheap. This disarray is the result of that strategy.

Newcastle’s players have got worse since last season. The defence is far more open without Benitez’s defensive coordination (they have already conceded almost 30% of last season’s goal total). Sean Longstaff, Miguel Almiron and Isaac Hayden have all suffered a drop in form that coincides with the new manager’s arrival. Newcastle offer little as a counter-attacking threat. They are making individual and collective mistakes that Premier League teams are too good not to punish.

Finally, spare me the ‘poor Steve Bruce’ angle that I’ve seen in some places. He backed himself to do this job, and he deserves to be judged on what happens on the pitch as Benitez was. And what took place on Sunday was a total abdication of responsibility. The “tactics nonsense” quotes speak of a manager out of his depth and out of step with the modern Premier League.

This wasn’t a Leicester victory through excellence, because they did not need to be excellent. It was a victory through surrender. Leicester exploited the obvious flaws and Newcastle were lucky that they stopped pushing on at 4-0. The worst a struggling team should be is hard to break down. And goodness me, Bruce should know that more than most managers.

This might get a little better. Newcastle will not be drubbed every week and they may claw a few more unexpected points over this tricky run of fixtures. But make no mistake, they are now battling for survival and no well-timed takeover rumours will appease the wrath of supporters if the worst befalls them. Newcastle have been sleep-walking for half a decade. Maybe Benitez was the only thing stopping them slipping into a coma.

F365 spot on here

Edited by Sonatine
  • Like 6

I noted his ‘tactics nonsense’ and talk about the greater importance of players grafting (or whatever words he used) in his post-match interview. I mean, in what fucking universe are tactics not important in the premier league? They’re important in grassroots football. What an absolute charlatan he is. I also would imagine his talk about the lack of effort would have gone down like a shit sandwich in a dressing room he’s already lost. Much like most of his predecessors under this regime, I think we’re the only club in the division who would’ve considered appointing Bruce. 

Edited by Alex

Even our fat owner must see that we are heading for relegation .If we continue to be absolutely clueless on the field ,in the dug out,and players basically not giving a fuck,our attendances could quite easily drop into the mid 30,000's.Surely this would make  FCB seriously look at selling up.Watching highlights of the Championship gives me no confidence that we'd bounce straight back up.

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

Meanwhile Man City are reportedly lining up Gio van Bronckhorst as Guardiola's long term replacement despite Charnley judging him as not good enough for us.

Too tactical 

10 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

It’s readily apparent that he’s lost the dressing room immediately. These players have seen straight through his bullshit, especially considering they’ve went from the meticulous methods of Benitez to this warmed-up Sunday league bollocks.

I thought the same, never seen a a dressing room so clearly adrift from the new coach, so early.

5 hours ago, Alex said:

I noted his ‘tactics nonsense’ and talk about the greater importance of players grafting (or whatever words he used) in his post-match interview. I mean, in what fucking universe are tactics not important in the premier league? They’re important in grassroots football. What an absolute charlatan he is. I also would imagine his talk about the lack of effort would have gone down like a shit sandwich in a dressing room he’s already lost. Much like most of his predecessors under this regime, I think we’re the only club in the division who would’ve considered appointing Bruce. 

and we'll be the only club in the division who'd offer Pulis or Hughes a job and all.

Mental given they're quite happy to gamble on cheaper foreign players, but don't go for cheaper foreign coaches.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, The Fish said:

and we'll be the only club in the division who'd offer Pulis or Hughes a job and all.

Mental given they're quite happy to gamble on cheaper foreign players, but don't go for cheaper foreign coaches.

That’s because Penfold’s football knowledge would fit on the tip of his micropenis. 

• Haha 3

• Andrew changed the title to Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United