Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United

bobbyshinton

42 minutes ago, Sonatine said:

it's not a bad article, with the exception of this...

'Supporters are sick and tired of having the piss taken out of them'

tragically there's tens of thousands who are that stupid they don't appear to realise that's what's happening, prefering even to defend ashley in some cases.

until people start seeing the blindingly obvious and walk away they'll have what they deserve... a dying club.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

it's not a bad article, with the exception of this...

'Supporters are sick and tired of having the piss taken out of them'

tragically there's tens of thousands who are that stupid they don't appear to realise that's what's happening, prefering even to defend ashley in some cases.

until people start seeing the blindingly obvious and walk away they'll have what they deserve... a dying club.

Who's defended Ashley?

1 minute ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I take umbrage with”Joelinton excelled in Germany surrounded by other attackers.”

7 goals in 29 appearances is not what I would call excelling. Even in Austria he only got 15 in 60.

He's as equipped to play in PL as I am.

Sad for him he keeps getting exposed week in, week out. I'd doubt he would get a game in the championship. 

53 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I take umbrage with”Joelinton excelled in Germany surrounded by other attackers.”

7 goals in 29 appearances is not what I would call excelling. Even in Austria he only got 15 in 60.

He didn’t excel as a goalscorer but did have a very good season in an attacking frontline where the other two striker scored most of the goals.

It does only prove that the club didn’t sign the player for football reasons. They paid far too much on a player not being suited to the position and role he is asked to play. Not having a manager who could adjust tactics to get the best out of him doesn’t help either.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Isegrim said:

He didn’t excel as a goalscorer but did have a very good season in an attacking frontline where the other two striker scored most of the goals.

It does only prove that the club didn’t sign the player for football reasons. They paid far too much on a player not being suited to the position and role he is asked to play. Not having a manager who could adjust tactics to get the best out of him doesn’t help either.

i think this was highlighted when he went off against Oxford.  He was missed as a focal point.

One plan is usually to hump it to the big lump up front.We cannot even do that,unless we’re desperate to clear our lines to ease the pressure.Is Brucey telling his midfielders not to support him because of his shocking control.There is more chance of our mid-field receiving the ball from if they stay 10 to 15 yards away to benefit from his terrible first touch.

Steve Bruce says great opportunity and realistic for Newcastle United to finish top half of Premier League...

"It is still realistic (to finish top half).

“We have got 11 or 12 games left (including West Brom in the FA Cup) and we have given ourselves an opportunity.

“We are getting a few back from injury now and we have give ourselves a great opportunity.

“Let’s try to grasp it over the next four, five, six weeks.

"Let’s look upwards.

“Let’s see if we can do it.

“We’re up against teams up and around us.” :D

The next 6 Premiership  games

Burnley (h)

Southampton (a)

Shelf United (h)

Aston Villa (h)

Bournemouth (a)

West Ham (h)

Relegation is going to be very close i dont think "Brucey's Boys" will get many points from those games.

22 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I don't think we need to panic tbh.  The other teams have some harder run in's. 

The last 5 Premiership games

Man City (a)

Watford (a)

Spurs (h)

Brighton (a)

Liverpool (h)

That's not an easy run in. :razz:

luke edwards latest musings, hideous cunt that he is. probably shouldn't give this wildly inaccurate pile of steaming shite any more publicity, but just in case anybody fancies a chuckle....

Newcastle United is a wonderful club in a magnificent city but it can be claustrophobic, a difficult and demanding place to play football. It can feel so intense at times that it is difficult to breath let alone relax and reflect, suffocating and stifling.

And the walls are closing in on the team and manager Steve Bruce, the atmosphere, toxic all season, is now so poisonous it could prove fatal. Relegation is a very clear and present danger again.

Newcastle is a club that is never far away from a crisis. It is the heavy price you pay when you have an owner like Mike Ashley, a management structure which lacks the required talent and expertise and a recruitment model that views players as individuals, never as part of a coherent team building project.

There was always going to come a time this season when Newcastle faltered and floundered. They are not a very good team, have not been playing well and got lucky so many times over the course of the first half of the season, you always knew there would come a point when that deserted them too.

It was always the danger, it was what we all thought would happen last summer when Rafa Benitez refused his new contract, left it until five weeks before the start of the season to admit it and Steve Bruce was hastily appointed as an emergency replacement.

It stank of desperation because it was and all but a few predicted Bruce would be a disaster, especially with a team that had been stuck in a desperate relegation battle all last season and lost two thirds of its goals over the summer with the departures of Salomon Rondon and Ayoze Perez.

Disaster looked unavoidable, yet, for six months, it has been. Newcastle have not been in the bottom three since August, they were tenth in January, they are in the Fifth Round of the FA Cup for the first time in more than a decade. They were, for all their limitations and the ugliness of the football, doing well.

Bruce had stabilised things, defied the doubters and Newcastle had something every team that deserves admiration possesses - a refusal to be beaten easily, a never give up attitude and a strong team spirit. They played badly, but found a way to win, to collect points and stay out of trouble.

It deserved praise. It barely got any. Even when they were winning, Newcastle’s players were told they were rubbish, the manager clueless, “a relegation team in all but points total” according to one local critic, never shy to attack. It was a snappy soundbite.

It won support, it preached to the already converted, it gained traction and it painted the picture people wanted to see. Even when Newcastle were winning, even when they were beating Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United, Sheffield United and Chelsea, drawing with Manchester City and Wolves away, the manager and team have been told they are crap. Nothing is good enough and the manager certainly never will be.

Some of us refused to jump so such a conclusion, preferring to wait and see how Bruce did before he was condemned, derided and dismissed as a mistake.

It is, after all, the fair and reasonable thing to do with all managers, especially at a club that also expected Chris Hughton and Alan Pardew to be horrendous failures, only to end up pleasantly surprised when the former took Newcastle back into the Premier League in style and the latter took the Magpies back into Europe with a fifth-placed finish at the end of his first full season in the dugout.

Rationale and reasonable were not what anybody wanted, though. There was anger, vitriol, pain and sadness. Benitez offered hope, light amid the darkness of the Ashley regime. So, when he went, the darkness and depression returned.
Nobody wanted to hear that Benitez was also partly to blame for his departure, that his refusal to compromise and the overriding attraction of a £12m-a-year-contract in China could not be dismissed or ignored. But that did not fit the popular narrative, it did not tell anyone what they wanted to hear, not at a club that had a dedicated band of supporters, in their thousands, not hundreds, who vowed “If Rafa goes, we go.”

They were true to their word too, at least 8,000 fans deserting the team, staying away but not losing interest. Everything, though, had to be negative, it had to be critical, it had to argue everything had turned sour. It has seeped into the foundations, it has shaped media coverage, perceptions and even when results were good, it fuelled negativity and a sense of impending doom.

There were two things you were not allowed to do according to the rule of the mob. You could not criticise Benitez’s behaviour or decision to leave and you could not argue Bruce deserved to be shown some respect and be given some time to show what he could do, before we rushed to judged.

I did both, write what you think and know, not what people want to hear is always a decent starting point as a football journalist. It made me a target for abuse, a social media lightening rod every time Newcastle lost.

So, when Newcastle won, I argued back, I pointed out things were going far better than they had thought, that maybe Bruce deserved some praise. I also enjoy arguing, although not on a rare weekend off with friends in Sheffield last week, who laughed at the comments I have received. They know me better than anyone, but even they were shocked by some of it, especially when it poured in even after I had told people I was off work, drinking in the same pub I celebrated my 18th birthday in, erm, a long time after.

It was an argument I was winning too, but not anymore. The tide has turned, Newcastle’s bad performances are being punished, they are back in trouble and Bruce looks confused, unsure and uncertain.

The players have lost confidence and belief, they are in trouble, real trouble. It has been coming for weeks, there is no point claiming otherwise. The team has lost the things that made them likeable and, yes, successful to a point. They are becoming easy to beat and they do, indeed, look increasingly clueless as an offensive force.

Where do Newcastle and Bruce go from here? Well, this is what managers are paid to do. There was always going to be a spell like this when results would be poor, and the critical background noise would become so loud it would drown everything else out. He has to deal with it, shield the players, keep them going and find a way to win again

Because, despite everything, despite the £40m striker who cannot score goals, Joelinton, despite the three loan signings made in January, shoved into the team at Crystal Palace, who look ill prepared, despite the run of just one win in nine league games and disjointed performances, confused tactics and lack of coherent attacking plan, Newcastle are still seven points clear of the drop zone and three of their next four league games are at home.

They are still doing ok, they are still not a relegation team because of their points total and all is not lost. Nobody has failed, not yet.

The rest is up to Bruce and his players because they might only need another nine points to be safe. Then we can talk about style of football, long term plans and everything else, because then it matters.

This season was always going to be a survival battle, anyone who says differently is deluded, wants Bruce to fail or is so bitter towards the club they have forgotten why they were complaining about Ashley in the first place.

Context is crucial, regardless of what you might think if you pay too much attention to social media. It’s going to be fascinating to watch how things unfold and I will be arguing, as ever, while it does.

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

I don't think we need to panic tbh.  The other teams have some harder run in's. 

The thing is that I am not confident about any game we have to play. In recent years, regardless of how bad things seemed to be, I always thought that we should be able to beat the likes of Burnley at home. But considering how poor we have looked throughout the season - and regardless of the flukey results - I can’t find any reason to expect us getting positive results, neither at home nor away. The individual class of the players we do have should be enough to be positive but we are so poor that I don’t think that it does matter.

6 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

luke edwards latest musings, hideous cunt that he is. probably shouldn't give this wildly inaccurate pile of steaming shite any more publicity, but just in case anybody fancies a chuckle....

Newcastle United is a wonderful club in a magnificent city but it can be claustrophobic, a difficult and demanding place to play football. It can feel so intense at times that it is difficult to breath let alone relax and reflect, suffocating and stifling.

And the walls are closing in on the team and manager Steve Bruce, the atmosphere, toxic all season, is now so poisonous it could prove fatal. Relegation is a very clear and present danger again.

Newcastle is a club that is never far away from a crisis. It is the heavy price you pay when you have an owner like Mike Ashley, a management structure which lacks the required talent and expertise and a recruitment model that views players as individuals, never as part of a coherent team building project.

There was always going to come a time this season when Newcastle faltered and floundered. They are not a very good team, have not been playing well and got lucky so many times over the course of the first half of the season, you always knew there would come a point when that deserted them too.

It was always the danger, it was what we all thought would happen last summer when Rafa Benitez refused his new contract, left it until five weeks before the start of the season to admit it and Steve Bruce was hastily appointed as an emergency replacement.

It stank of desperation because it was and all but a few predicted Bruce would be a disaster, especially with a team that had been stuck in a desperate relegation battle all last season and lost two thirds of its goals over the summer with the departures of Salomon Rondon and Ayoze Perez.

Disaster looked unavoidable, yet, for six months, it has been. Newcastle have not been in the bottom three since August, they were tenth in January, they are in the Fifth Round of the FA Cup for the first time in more than a decade. They were, for all their limitations and the ugliness of the football, doing well.

Bruce had stabilised things, defied the doubters and Newcastle had something every team that deserves admiration possesses - a refusal to be beaten easily, a never give up attitude and a strong team spirit. They played badly, but found a way to win, to collect points and stay out of trouble.

It deserved praise. It barely got any. Even when they were winning, Newcastle’s players were told they were rubbish, the manager clueless, “a relegation team in all but points total” according to one local critic, never shy to attack. It was a snappy soundbite.

It won support, it preached to the already converted, it gained traction and it painted the picture people wanted to see. Even when Newcastle were winning, even when they were beating Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United, Sheffield United and Chelsea, drawing with Manchester City and Wolves away, the manager and team have been told they are crap. Nothing is good enough and the manager certainly never will be.

Some of us refused to jump so such a conclusion, preferring to wait and see how Bruce did before he was condemned, derided and dismissed as a mistake.

It is, after all, the fair and reasonable thing to do with all managers, especially at a club that also expected Chris Hughton and Alan Pardew to be horrendous failures, only to end up pleasantly surprised when the former took Newcastle back into the Premier League in style and the latter took the Magpies back into Europe with a fifth-placed finish at the end of his first full season in the dugout.

Rationale and reasonable were not what anybody wanted, though. There was anger, vitriol, pain and sadness. Benitez offered hope, light amid the darkness of the Ashley regime. So, when he went, the darkness and depression returned.
Nobody wanted to hear that Benitez was also partly to blame for his departure, that his refusal to compromise and the overriding attraction of a £12m-a-year-contract in China could not be dismissed or ignored. But that did not fit the popular narrative, it did not tell anyone what they wanted to hear, not at a club that had a dedicated band of supporters, in their thousands, not hundreds, who vowed “If Rafa goes, we go.”

They were true to their word too, at least 8,000 fans deserting the team, staying away but not losing interest. Everything, though, had to be negative, it had to be critical, it had to argue everything had turned sour. It has seeped into the foundations, it has shaped media coverage, perceptions and even when results were good, it fuelled negativity and a sense of impending doom.

There were two things you were not allowed to do according to the rule of the mob. You could not criticise Benitez’s behaviour or decision to leave and you could not argue Bruce deserved to be shown some respect and be given some time to show what he could do, before we rushed to judged.

I did both, write what you think and know, not what people want to hear is always a decent starting point as a football journalist. It made me a target for abuse, a social media lightening rod every time Newcastle lost.

So, when Newcastle won, I argued back, I pointed out things were going far better than they had thought, that maybe Bruce deserved some praise. I also enjoy arguing, although not on a rare weekend off with friends in Sheffield last week, who laughed at the comments I have received. They know me better than anyone, but even they were shocked by some of it, especially when it poured in even after I had told people I was off work, drinking in the same pub I celebrated my 18th birthday in, erm, a long time after.

It was an argument I was winning too, but not anymore. The tide has turned, Newcastle’s bad performances are being punished, they are back in trouble and Bruce looks confused, unsure and uncertain.

The players have lost confidence and belief, they are in trouble, real trouble. It has been coming for weeks, there is no point claiming otherwise. The team has lost the things that made them likeable and, yes, successful to a point. They are becoming easy to beat and they do, indeed, look increasingly clueless as an offensive force.

Where do Newcastle and Bruce go from here? Well, this is what managers are paid to do. There was always going to be a spell like this when results would be poor, and the critical background noise would become so loud it would drown everything else out. He has to deal with it, shield the players, keep them going and find a way to win again

Because, despite everything, despite the £40m striker who cannot score goals, Joelinton, despite the three loan signings made in January, shoved into the team at Crystal Palace, who look ill prepared, despite the run of just one win in nine league games and disjointed performances, confused tactics and lack of coherent attacking plan, Newcastle are still seven points clear of the drop zone and three of their next four league games are at home.

They are still doing ok, they are still not a relegation team because of their points total and all is not lost. Nobody has failed, not yet.

The rest is up to Bruce and his players because they might only need another nine points to be safe. Then we can talk about style of football, long term plans and everything else, because then it matters.

This season was always going to be a survival battle, anyone who says differently is deluded, wants Bruce to fail or is so bitter towards the club they have forgotten why they were complaining about Ashley in the first place.

Context is crucial, regardless of what you might think if you pay too much attention to social media. It’s going to be fascinating to watch how things unfold and I will be arguing, as ever, while it does.

What a load of rubbish.

10 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

I wonder how much ashley bungs that toss pot ? 

It’s all Rafa’s fault, lads.

• Andrew changed the title to Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United