Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United

bobbyshinton

I honestly think Ashley didnt want a manager like Rafa because he would stand up to him and try and dictate who to bring in and how the money should be spent.

Rafa and Ashley are dictators a relationship would never work. 

If Charnley could talk in front of more than 3 people he would be fucking manager right now 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Fish said:

An oddity of Ashley's reign is that he'll bin off a competent manager that the fans support, but who he won't, for an incompetent manager that the fans don't support but he will. 

McClaren was shit, but was backed with signings like Wijnaldum, Mbemba, Mitrovic. Bruce gets ASM, Wilson, Joelinton. Give Benitez control and he'll have got us comfortably midtable every season, maybe once the squad was deeper he'd have been a bit more interested in the cups as well. He wouldn't have signed Joelinton, and while he would likely not have signed Saint Maximin the team, as a whole, would be better off.

We must have the worst manager in the league, I doubt any would have Bruce as first choice, not even Fulham and West Brom and i'm not convinced we'd be much worse off (performance-wise) with Parker or Bilic... 

Thing is as well, Parker is young / inexperienced, which is obviously a risk but it might pay off. With Bruce you know exactly what you’re getting with fuck all chance of a positive outcome. 

joelinton is the strangest transfer ever. in what universe was he worth that money? were there any other clubs rumoured to splash £40m on such a young player, with so little in the way of stats to support such an investment? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

HE'S FUCKING GASH MAN

I’ve seen fuck all to suggest he’s any good but he’s clearly a bit better playing a bit deeper. Bruce hung him out to dry by playing him as a centre-forward for the opening 2/3s of last season. Then when he did play him in a different position his confidence was already shot to pieces 

john dahl tomasson all over again

actually, he's exactly the sort of player who will probably go on to alright at another club, if only because that's what always happens to us. 

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

with the players at his disposal, we should be comfortably in mid-table. 

he's got to stop pissing about with joelinton in the team and hendrick on the wing when there are a couple of high quality alternatives on the bench.

it's hard to fathom what almiron has done to piss him off so much. he was our best player last season after ASM

Hendrick scored a cracking goal in the opener but has been anonymous since. He's the Colback replacement and Colback didn't play on the wing either. Another baffling decision from the Fat Pardew. 

Having such a pedestrian player on the opposite wing just focuses the defence on ASM even further. Almiron would have a field day with the gaps left by a defence struggling to contain both ASM and Wilson's movement. It's obvious to everyone except the manager, I suppose. And the less said about Joelinton, who Bruce has clearly been told to select, the better. 

I can't find a lot of blame for Bruce in my heart. He's never professed to be anything but the dinosaur he is. We knew exactly what we were getting and, well, we've got it. 

• Like 1

seems obvious to play this lot ahead of the keeper and back four. shelvey might actually do alright if he has those four runners to ping balls to. 

----Hayden Shelvey

ASM----Almiron-----Fraser

---------Wilson

23 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

seems obvious to play this lot ahead of the keeper and back four. shelvey might actually do alright if he has those four runners to ping balls to. 

----Hayden Shelvey

---------Wilson

----Hayden --- Someone that can run a bit, tackle, press, and pass the ball. 

---------Wilson

Shelvey's Hollywood passing only works if you have willing runners, and converted central midfielders (hendrick), and forwards like joelinton don't fit the bill as their movement isn't good enough (or their touch).

Hendrick probably would do a job alongside Jayden but then you have all the creativity and vision of Helen Keller.

52 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Because he had HIS best game as a number 10 doesn’t necessarily mean he’s worthy of a place in that position.Why do think he should be on the bench at worst.He shouldn’t be in the first team squad based on his 43 League appearances.I don’t know anyone who can see anything in his game.He’s better than Fumaca but worse than every other player I’ve seen in a black and white.

Well that's hyperbole. He's not worse than Guivarch, Luque, Slimani and so on. 

Honestly, a better manager wouldn't have persisted with him isolated up front, they'd play a team that doesn't meekly surrender possession. They'd have improved his game (as Benitez did for Perez). I don't think he's £40m worth of Premier League striker on this form, but the criticism of him is way over the top, just like the criticism of Perez was way over the top at the time as well.

12 minutes ago, canofbeans said:

----Hayden --- Someone that can run a bit, tackle, press, and pass the ball. 

---------Wilson

Shelvey's Hollywood passing only works if you have willing runners, and converted central midfielders (hendrick), and forwards like joelinton don't fit the bill as their movement isn't good enough (or their touch).

Hendrick probably would do a job alongside Jayden but then you have all the creativity and vision of Helen Keller.

i'm not the biggest fan of hayden or shelvey tbh,  but you need someone who can win the ball back and someone who can pass it forwards. and until they're both upgraded, i dunno if we have two players who can do those jobs better in our squad. 

i wouldn't mind giving the longstaffs another go, or seeing if hendrick looks any good in the middle, because he's clearly a waste of a shirt out wide. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Honestly, a better manager wouldn't have persisted with him isolated up front, they'd play a team that doesn't meekly surrender possession. They'd have improved his game (as Benitez did for Perez). I don't think he's £40m worth of Premier League striker on this form, but the criticism of him is way over the top, just like the criticism of Perez was way over the top at the time as well.

why is it over the top? he's been awful ever since he joined. at least with perez, for all his flouncing around, and lack of pace, you could see he had a couple of redeeming features - a nice touch and he could finish

it's not like he hasn't had enough chances either. it's terrible man management. his confidence is shot. he should have been taken out of the firing line ages ago and given a run on the bench - see if he can contribute with a cameo here or there and earn his place back. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Luque scored 1 in 21 . Joelinton is currently 1 in 21.5

52 minutes ago, Alex said:

Thing is as well, Parker is young / inexperienced, which is obviously a risk but it might pay off. With Bruce you know exactly what you’re getting with fuck all chance of a positive outcome. 

At least with McClaren there was spells of success that you could pin your hopes on. What's Bruce ever done in his managerial career to get a shot at the modern Premier League? His is a career of diminishing returns, relegations and discord with the fans. The same criticisms of his time at Birmingham City still exist now, 20 years later. No apparent style, over-reliant on individuals and poor defence. 

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's not like he hasn't had enough chances either. it's terrible man management. his confidence is shot. he should have been taken out of the firing line ages ago and given a run on the bench - see if he can contribute with a cameo here or there and earn his place back. 

Plenty of chances out of position in a team which seems allergic to the ball.

His 'best' performance has been in his actual position in a game where we actually had the ball a bit.

9 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Luque scored 1 in 21 . Joelinton is currently 1 in 21.5

Luque scored 3 in 34  in all competitions. (11.333)

Joelinton has 6 in 52. (8.666)

2 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I was only counting Premier league as that's all we really care about.

:lol: well, I'd suggest that .5  difference isn't enough to say he's the worst player to have pulled on a Newcastle shirt, given the Bruce factor, but whatevs.

Just now, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Would he be better under Souness?

Probably, Souness was bad, but Bruce is arguably the worst permanent manager we've had in my lifetime.

Aarons, Atsu, Lazaar, Saivet left out the squad. Ritchie and Gayle included. 

Now, I know he's been a bad signing, but given the trouble we're having in the midfield, wouldn't it have been worth naming Saivet at Ritchie's expense until January? Saivet might be average-to-poor, but it's better than forcing Schar into centre mid, right?

Also, it would prevent Bruce from bringing Ritchie back too early.

• Andrew changed the title to Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United