Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United

bobbyshinton

46 minutes ago, canofbeans said:

think either of the Longstaffs offers more defensively, and mobility wise than Shelvey, although less creatively (if you call spanking the ball into spaces where sometimes our runners go as creativity). Hayden's not bad but needs help basically. shelvey would work best as a low rent Pirlo, but would need 2 covering midfielders to do his leg work. that doesn't really fit with the system they have and also would mean one less up the pitch.  

anyway Bruce definitely still doesn't know our best eleven.

Fyp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canofbeans said:

think either of the Longstaffs offers more defensively, and mobility wise than Shelvey, although less creatively (if you call spanking the ball into spaces where sometimes our runners go as creativity). Hayden's not bad but needs help basically. shelvey would work best as a low rent Pirlo, but would need 2 covering midfielders to do his leg work. that doesn't really fit with the system they have and also would mean one less up the pitch.  

anyway Bruce probably still doesn't know our best eleven.

The Sean Longstaff who played under Rafa offered a lot more creativity than Shelvey does actually.  Rather than just looking for hollywood passes, Longstaff moved the ball forward with both feet playing it in for attacking players (Rondon, Miggy and Perez at the time) in some space in positions where they can cause the opposition problems.  Unfortunately since Bruce came in Longstaff has looked slow and very low in confidence and hasn't managed to play in anything like the way he did that first season.  He was either just having a purple patch when he came into the team, the injury has ruined him or Bruce has.  I have my own suspicions which one of the three is the reason.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Alex said:

He came, did a good job, wasn’t backed and subsequently left at the end of his contract. What an incredible turn of events.  And in any case, UM’s preferred option is one of the most mercenary managers out there. Has he ever seen out a contract? 

For clarity. Who was / is my preferred option. 

22 minutes ago, Ugly Mackems said:

For clarity. Who was / is my preferred option. 

being new to this forum all i've managed to conclude is rafa wasn't that person, although you did concede the other day that bruce wasn't your prefered choice either.

so, who would you go for realistically that wasn't likely to burst out laughing when told of ashley/charnley's wish to woo them to our ambition less, soulless hell hole that's literally dying on its feet?

Edited by thebrokendoll

2 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

being new to this forum all i've managed to conclude is rafa wasn't that person, although you did concede the other day that bruce wasn't your prefered choice either.

so, who would you go for realistically that wasn't likely to burst out laughing when told of ashley/charnley's wish to woo them to our ambition less, soulless hell hole that's literally dying on its feet?

You'll only attract dead wood. Or managers who's best days are totally behind them. No manager in the last 10 years + have moved to anything bigger and better than this "soulless hell hole" And in all likelihood won't either. 

You have to be at a certain level to work for Ashley. 

13 hours ago, David Kelly said:

The Sean Longstaff who played under Rafa offered a lot more creativity than Shelvey does actually.  Rather than just looking for hollywood passes, Longstaff moved the ball forward with both feet playing it in for attacking players (Rondon, Miggy and Perez at the time) in some space in positions where they can cause the opposition problems.  Unfortunately since Bruce came in Longstaff has looked slow and very low in confidence and hasn't managed to play in anything like the way he did that first season.  He was either just having a purple patch when he came into the team, the injury has ruined him or Bruce has.  I have my own suspicions which one of the three is the reason.

And sadly you only get 40+ opportunities to play yourself into form if you're Brazillion and cost a comparatible bazillion, not if you've come through the youth ranks. Though would you really want to come into a midfield in a team that routinely has less than 40% possession?

The notion we can only attract deadwood is bollocks imo. Just because no other club in the division would touch Bruce with a barge pole shouldn’t infer every other club in the division is a more attractive option. On the wages we pay and the stature of the club and the league were in there’s bound to be loads of managers who’d come who are more progressive, younger, hungrier and just better than Bruce. Even if we were just viewed as a steppingstone (which is pretty much how every decent player we’ve signed over the last decade or so has viewed the club). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex said:

The notion we can only attract deadwood is bollocks imo. Just because no other club in the division would touch Bruce with a barge pole shouldn’t infer every other club in the division is a more attractive option. On the wages we pay and the stature of the club and the league were in there’s bound to be loads of managers who’d come who are more progressive, younger, hungrier and just better than Bruce. Even if we were just viewed as a steppingstone (which is pretty much how every decent player we’ve signed over the last decade or so has viewed the club). 

you'd like to think so alex.

however if there's any truth in the rumour that bruce was 11th or 12th choice then it's fair to assume 10 or 11 managers said fuck that i'm not working for that fat cunt.

i know for a certain fact i wouldn't.

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Allardyce, Keegan, Kinnear, Shearer, Hughton, Pardew, Carver, McClaren, Benitez and Bruce. 

Enough deadwood to fire a power station. 

12 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

Allardyce, Keegan, Kinnear, Shearer, Hughton, Pardew, Carver, McClaren, Benitez and Bruce. 

Enough deadwood to fire a power station. 

Rafa clearly stands out amid the deadwood. He managed big clubs and won trophies. 

On 10/21/2020 at 11:07, canofbeans said:

anyway Bruce probably still doesn't know our best eleven.

Been banging this drum myself. What we'd lose by dropping Shelvey and playing Longstaff in terms of long passes is more than made up for the improvement on the defensive effort the midfield put in. Schar, Longstaff and Lewis have all shown they've got a long pass in their skillset. Play them and we wouldn't miss Shelvey all that much.

Without Shelvey dropping deep to give himself time and space to launch these balls, we'd be further up the pitch which would mean ASM, Almiron, Wilson wouldn't have to beat 3-4 players. Our defence wouldn't be permanently under the cosh. That said, on current form, Sean Longstaff hasn't played himself into the first team.

Plus Shelvey's a miserable cunt.

That’s textbook Bruce. He’s got a central midfielder in Hendrick that he’s pushed out wide but rather than move him to his natural position he’d rather play Shelvey nursing an injury.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 1

• Andrew changed the title to Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United