Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United

bobbyshinton

Even Pardew had the odd run where he’d put together some competent 90 minute performances. Joe Kinnear’s sides had slightly more of an attacking impetus. Can’t attack, can’t defend, players constantly unfit or injured but he had a couple of decent results at the start of the year so he’s in for the season.

I would have thought we’d occasionally play some decent football by sheer chance but we aren’t even capable of that.

The players don’t have a clue what they’re supposed to be doing. 

He’s had 3 transfer windows. We’re consistently one of the worst teams in the league, he’s got to go.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

overseeing the worst football i've seen newcastle play since the back end of the 60s.

mcgarry served up better than this shite.

Nowt much wrong with our football during the back end of the 60s.The end of the 70s then aye.I’ve enjoyed the football we’ve played more during some relegation seasons.

We must have the most ponderous midfield and defence in the Premier League.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Nowt much wrong with our football during the back end of the 60s.The end of the 70s then aye.I’ve enjoyed the football we’ve played more during some relegation seasons.

We must have the most ponderous midfield and defence in the Premier League.

just re-read my post, I didn't mean we were playing worse football then, '67ish was when me old man started taking me to games, ive only very faint memories of pop robson, wyn davies , the fairs cup win, the popular side etc....

all infinitely more memorable , despite the haziness than this shite..

I came of age on the leazes as a teenager in the early 70s with supermac, tony green, john. tudor, jinky jim,  terry hibbit, ollie burton,  david craig, frank clarke....

and by god I fucking miss it.   :(

12 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

just re-read my post, I didn't mean we were playing worse football then, '67ish was when me old man started taking me to games, ive only very faint memories of pop robson, wyn davies , the fairs cup win, the popular side etc....

all infinitely more memorable , despite the haziness than this shite..

I came of age on the leazes as a teenager in the early 70s with supermac, tony green, john. tudor, jinky jim,  terry hibbit, ollie burton,  david craig, frank clarke....

and by god I fucking miss it.   :(

Frank Clarke knew my father

No bother.

When I started attending games in the early 60s,  you had defenders who could defend.If they could attack,like David Craig,then that was a bonus.Frank Clark only once went over the halfway line and he ended up scoring his only goal for us,and I witnessed it.It was during a League Cup win against Donny.I think we won 6 v 0.Moncur,Burton and McNamee won headers because they wanted to win headers.Pat Howard,the useless Keeley and the useless Scott also wanted to win headers.In their prime,Peter Jackson and Nic the Greek would walk into our team.I’ve seen neebody better than Woodgate when it comes to defenders who have played for us.If we had a decent defence,I could,to a degree,accept the odd good defensive display,but good defensive displays are extremely rare with our current defence.Against Chelsea we did have numbers back but we still looked a shambles.
You would think Fat Heed could spot a proper half decent defender.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

No bother.

When I started attending games in the early 60s,  you had defenders who could defend.If they could attack,like David Craig,then that was a bonus.Frank Clark only once went over the halfway line and he ended up scoring his only goal for us,and I witnessed it.It was during a League Cup win against Donny.I think we won 6 v 0.Moncur,Burton and McNamee won headers because they wanted to win headers.Pat Howard,the useless Keeley and the useless Scott also wanted to win headers.In their prime,Peter Jackson and Nic the Greek would walk into our team.I’ve seen neebody better than Woodgate when it comes to defenders who have played for us.If we had a decent defence,I could,to a degree,accept the odd good defensive display,but good defensive displays are extremely rare with our current defence.Against Chelsea we did have numbers back but we still looked a shambles.
You would think Fat Heed could spot a proper half decent defender.

Got to ask who spotted and recruited the current lot? 

1 hour ago, Ugly Mackems said:

Got to ask who spotted and recruited the current lot? 

Under Rafa they defended as a unit.Winterburn and Dixon weren’t good defenders.Neil and Kennedy weren’t good defenders.Under Brucey they’re all over the shop as a unit.The players should be able to work as a unit.Isn’t TOT supposed to be the leader and organiser at the back.When we concede a goal,neebody seems upset,certainly not angry.Nee finger pointing,nee bollocking nee nowt.The only immediate change from Brucey is the colour of his heed and the extra clueless expression on his face.Apart from Clark,neebody wants to win headers.

Daniel Storey F365:

The three Newcastle United myths
“Well they are never happy, are they? They want to win the Champions League but they’re not in it unfortunately” – Mark Lawrenson, November 7.

Well, yes and no. Of course Newcastle United fans would like to win the Champions League. Every supporter of every club wants their team to be as successful as it can be. But that’s not the point (and it’s not Lawrenson’s point either). He is insinuating (as many other pundits have) that there is an unhelpful entitlement amongst Newcastle United supporters, a lack of gratitude for their current situation. You’re 14th in the Premier League, guys – what’s the worry?

The worry is that they support a football team that barely even tries to attack. After 84 minutes against Chelsea on Saturday, with their team 2-0 down but with a throw-in close to Chelsea’s goalline, Newcastle played the ball back down the line, then into central midfield and then to their goalkeeper. Karl Darlow launched the ball upfield and Chelsea won back possession. That’s the worry.

Newcastle rank 20th in the league for shots per game. Newcastle rank 20th in the league for shots on target per game. Newcastle rank 20th in the league for touches in the opposition box per game. Newcastle rank 20th in the league for passes in the final third per game. Newcastle rank… 19th in the league for successful passes per game. Huzzah!

“Newcastle don’t have the personnel to play any other way.”

Nonsense. They have Callum Wilson, a proven No. 9 who will score when serviced effectively and probably still score a few when he isn’t. They have Miguel Almiron and Allan Saint-Maximin, two exciting wide attackers whose confidence has been shorn to the point of disillusionment (see the comments of Almiron’s agent this week for details). They have Ryan Fraser too, and a collection of capable midfield holders. They have Jamal Lewis, an excellent attacking left-back.

It is true that Newcastle don’t have a squad capable of making a sustainable challenge for a top-six place or one suited to playing all-out-attack football, but then both of those are straw-man arguments. They do have a squad that might offer more if they didn’t sit 40 yards from their own goal and hope that their goalkeeper produces consistent brilliance to keep them in matches.

“Erm, they played exactly like this under Rafael Benitez.”

They did indeed play very deep under Benitez against Big Six opponents, particularly away from home. Benitez got plenty of stick for one defeat against Manchester City in which Newcastle also barely bothered to try and attack. But here’s the thing: They didn’t always play that way.

Between January 1 and the end of 2018/19, when Benitez managed his last game, Newcastle ranked joint-sixth in the league for goals, seventh for chances created and ninth for shots and shots on target. Their five most regular attacking starters were Salomon Rondon, Ayoze Perez, Miguel Almiron, Christian Atsu and Matt Ritchie. Those options are not better than Bruce’s now, and were certainly less expensive.

But really, none of this matters. Because you do not get to tell football supporters how they should support their club, particularly those who have ploughed thousands of pounds and hours into it. There’s nothing wrong with wanting more than this (and it would be great if Bruce recognised that and was more adventurous). There’s nothing wrong with wanting your team to attack or even wondering what might happen if they didn’t sit so deep. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be entertained by your football team. Anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I mean I wouldn’t mind if we weren’t entertaining if we looked like our football could get us a result and it was sustainable.

However we aren’t playing any football at all. We can’t even press in groups, we never have the ball & when we do we can’t pass it properly or create anything. 

I don’t think I can remember a team failing so many of the basics at once.

• Like 3

I would love to know what we do practice in training as it's blatantly obvious it's not anything to do with attacking or pressing.  I can only assume it's on how to camp out in front of/just inside our 18 yard box and allow shots at the keeper.

• Like 3

I told my mate down here the other day this is the worst it’s been since Allardyce. I think on reflection, it’s actually worse. The football then was tortuous to watch but at least there was a sense there was some coaching going on behind the scenes. Bruce ball is just clueless 

• Like 1

We have to remember as well Bruce was 13th choice for the job.

Next 5 games are...

Palace

Villa

West Brom

Leeds

Fulham

We need to be picking quite a few points from those games (I know) Because the next 3 Premiership games in the 7 days after Xmas are ...

City 

Liverpool

Leicester 

We could be in a relegation fight by then with Bruce still in charge 

The win over Everton probably kept us up already since that bottom 4 doesn’t seem like they’ll string two wins together at any point. The most wide-open league in years with regards to continental qualification and we’re still in the mid table mire, Christ

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

• Andrew changed the title to Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United