Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United

bobbyshinton

11 hours ago, strawb said:

You can celebrate winners all you want mush, I’m sure a lot of the people on here who dislike Bruce did too.

The problem with swallowing what is being served up is it’s indicative of the regime, we survive on a whim or a shoestring. You can’t honestly believe we deserve to be where we are in the league based on the showings this seasons? 

Unless there is either a change of heart from Ashley and he properly supports the team, or he leaves this is as good as it gets. This is the culmination of Newcastle United, aim for safety and everything else is a bonus. It’s not what I thought of when I first started supporting a football team, it’s not what Sir Bobby or Kevin Keegan or Rafa Benitez thought when managing us. 

I actually like a lot of our players, they graft and they can defend very well and generally are a likeable bunch. But this aiming for survival is draining and honestly drains the fun from the game.

Enjoy the win, I did because fuck Chelsea and I’m glad for the players. 

We are a striker and creative CM away from being a good team. We've beaten Spurs, Chelsea, Man United and drawn with Man City with blood, sweat and tears. Yes we've lacked quality at times but we've made up for it with effort. The likes of Pistone, Viana, Cabella, Thauvin would get kicked to fuck off their own team mates in this squad. 

Rafa and Rondon wanted fucking fortunes to stay which is why they are now working in the arse end of China and no-one else in England touched them with a barge pole. People need to let it go

We've signed Almiron, ASM and Joelinton for £80mil and are reportedly after Bowen for another £20mil. We haven't been able to claim we are surviving on a shoestring this season. We've spent more than most teams. 

I don't buy shit from sports direct, I dont buy stuff inside the ground so im doing my bit. I pay for tickets and go to the game though and more often than not I enjoy it. Fuck anyone who gets their knickers in a twist over it. 

This board is just the same 6 or 7 posters posting variations on a theme, week in, week out. Some of them getting giddy when we get beat. They can't decide whether they are apathetic or apoplectic. 

15 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We are a striker and creative CM away from being a good team. We've beaten Spurs, Chelsea, Man United and drawn with Man City with blood, sweat and tears. Yes we've lacked quality at times but we've made up for it with effort. The likes of Pistone, Viana, Cabella, Thauvin would get kicked to fuck off their own team mates in this squad. 

Rafa and Rondon wanted fucking fortunes to stay which is why they are now working in the arse end of China and no-one else in England touched them with a barge pole. People need to let it go

We've signed Almiron, ASM and Joelinton for £80mil and are reportedly after Bowen for another £20mil. We haven't been able to claim we are surviving on a shoestring this season. We've spent more than most teams. 

I don't buy shit from sports direct, I dont buy stuff inside the ground so im doing my bit. I pay for tickets and go to the game though and more often than not I enjoy it. Fuck anyone who gets their knickers in a twist over it. 

This board is just the same 6 or 7 posters posting variations on a theme, week in, week out. Some of them getting giddy when we get beat. They can't decide whether they are apathetic or apoplectic. 

Buying a striker and midfielder wouldn’t make us a good team, because it would probably mean changing the way we play. Which wouldn’t suit the other players we have too well. Agree about the squad been a solid hardworking one.

Rafa wanted to improve the whole

club, which yeah would have taken a lot of money but at least he was ambitious. It’s a bit of a straw man to say nobody else has touched him with a barge pole, he will definitely be back in Europe at some point and at a more ambitious club than us (in my opinion). Fact is Rafa has won trophies at every club he has managed (might need fact checking) and we haven’t won anything in my lifetime, or even been close with Ashley in charge. To go from a serial winner to Steve Bruce is a bit galling me for me though.

Those are reported figures, which if true is great. Why couldn’t Rafa have that money? Or decide where it was spent? He said Joe wasn’t worth the money, been proved right so far in my book. We may have spent more than most this season, but that doesn’t take into account previous years of underspend or profit making, so is disingenuous.

I don’t think anyone has had a go at you for going to the match, people are free to do whatever they like.

Ulitmately I don’t think anyone wants us to get beat really, they want an ambitious football club to get behind and properly support. I think a lot of it is schadenfreude regarding Ashley and his terrible decisions that even us men on the street can see are wrong.

• Like 2

I think the relevant part is below:

Sustainable? Well that’s where the logic scrambling comes into play. United sit rock bottom of the Expected Goals chart, the accurate measure of how many big chances a team are creating. It’s not the only metric they prop up the table in: expected points too (they should have 16), possession, shots and most of the ways you measure attacking impact.

Stats they’re top of? Goalkeeper saves: miracle man Martin Dubravka leads the way by a margin.

We have been unbelievably lucky in so many matches this season. Yes, some of that luck has been earned through hard work but it’s clear from watching us that we’re in a false position in the league. Add to that the fact that Steve Bruce as our manager is a massive statement of the limit of Mike Ashley’s ambition for our club and it’s hard to fully enjoy the wins.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think the relevant part is below:

We have been unbelievably lucky in so many matches this season. Yes, some of that luck has been earned through hard work but it’s clear from watching us that we’re in a false position in the league. Add to that the fact that Steve Bruce as our manager is a massive statement of the limit of Mike Ashley’s ambition for our club and it’s hard to fully enjoy the wins.

Its luck if it works for 1 or 2 matches. Or if their best player gets injured after 10mins. Or their keeper chucks one in his own net. Or if one goes in off Joelintons arse. 

There's no luck about our players defending as a unit, chasing every ball, limiting shots on target from the opposition and having a cracking keeper. 

You make your own luck and after 23 games it's no longer just a flukey few matches 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Its luck if it works for 1 or 2 matches. Or if their best player gets injured after 10mins. Or their keeper chucks one in his own net. Or if one goes in off Joelintons arse. 

There's no luck about our players defending as a unit, chasing every ball, limiting shots on target from the opposition and having a cracking keeper. 

You make your own luck and after 23 games it's no longer just a flukey few matches 

The point is it’s not sustainable. None of the various periods of Ashley’s tenure have been. If you can hold your nose and forget all that’s gone before with him that’s fine. I can’t so that’s why I’ve only been to two away games all season. Obviously beating Chelsea with a 94th minute winner is to be savoured. Every win, every scrappy hard fought draw, all of it. I enjoy them. We’re literally going nowhere though and with 40k still putting their brief,spasmodic moments of glory in front of any principled, mass movement against Ashley we never will. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Faced the most shots in the league, according to that article you linked to

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The point is it’s not sustainable. None of the various periods of Ashley’s tenure have been. If you can hold your nose and forget all that’s gone before with him that’s fine. I can’t so that’s why I’ve only been to two away games all season. Obviously beating Chelsea with a 94th minute winner is to be savoured. Every win, every scrappy hard fought draw, all of it. I enjoy them. We’re literally going nowhere though and with 40k still putting their brief,spasmodic moments of glory in front of any principled, mass movement against Ashley we never will. 

I enjoy going, quite a bit more than under the tenure of managers such as Souness, JFK, or McLaren in fact. I feel we've got a team of grafters who deserve support. I've got 4 season tickets for less than £600 which is pretty good value. And unlike J69, I have no issue buying a coffee, pint, or hotdog for the kids. I wouldn't buy anything in a Sports Direct shop though or an Ashley brand.

Are those staying away really more principled or had they I  fact just stopped enjoying it? I suspect it's the latter in most cases. Nobody should do something they don't want to do, but similarly I'm fucked if I'm going to bite my nose  off to spite my face because of Ashley. And anyway, whilst we're in the premier league the income from match goers is negligible. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Renton said:

I enjoy going, quite a bit more than under the tenure of managers such as Souness, JFK, or McLaren in fact. I feel we've got a team of grafters who deserve support. I've got 4 season tickets for less than £600 which is pretty good value. And unlike J69, I have no issue buying a coffee, pint, or hotdog for the kids. I wouldn't buy anything in a Sports Direct shop though or an Ashley brand.

Are those staying away really more principled or had they I  fact just stopped enjoying it? I suspect it's the latter in most cases. Nobody should do something they don't want to do, but similarly I'm fucked if I'm going to bite my nose  off to spite my face because of Ashley. And anyway, whilst we're in the premier league the income from match goers is negligible. 

Two years of Rafa was enough for most. They can label him "world class" but he bought shit and his tactics were shit. Thee football was utter shit to watch in both the Championship and PL. 

19 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

Two years of Rafa was enough for most. They can label him "world class" but he bought shit and his tactics were shit. Thee football was utter shit to watch in both the Championship and PL. 

Aye, Rafa should have played more in line with the aesthetic standard of League One. That's where he went wrong. Some clubs even aspire to remain down there, just because the quality of football is so good. Even when given a free goal in a play off final, they still manage to lose - just so that they can enjoy the scintillating football for one more year. No club like that would ever sully its good name with a manager like Rafa. They prefer to hire true tactical magicians, like the guy who contrived to achieve about twenty 1-1 draws in a single season. And the bloke from the local pub that they've since replaced him with.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Ugly Mackems said:

Err, no. I enjoyed watching football under Rafa immensely, I think after a fucking catastrophic start Bruce has got the squad playing much like Rafa tbh. But I have no confidence he has the ability to move us to the next level, which I did have in the Spaniard. 

Point is  Bruce is not the worst manager we've had, I believe he's genuine, and a step up from the managers we had previously. But he is a huge downgrade on Benitez, just look at their CVs. My main point though was I personally enjoy going to the match atm, as a Dad now. The minute that changes I'll stop going, but I'm not letting "principled" people dictate that to me. It's only football ffs. 

5 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

I am sooo glad that the standard of football has risen this season.

God forbid if we were just relying on luck and other teams being too stupid, especially with this dodgy keeper we do have...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Renton said:

Point is  Bruce is not the worst manager we've had, I believe he's genuine, and a step up from the managers we had previously. But he is a huge downgrade on Benitez, just look at their CVs.  

I understand that CV's can sway a perception of managerial talents and success, but Keegan's  managerial CV when hired at Newcastle wasn't too inspiring.  Managers with outstanding CV's are known to  fail, and those with poor or little CV's have been known to succeed. It's why I said; "Give him a chance"

2 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

Steve Bruce down to 100/1 to be the next permanent manchester utd manager :D

please god let this happen.

the mind can only boggle as to how much profit ashley would want on the £4m compensation we apparently forked out to sheffield wednesday to make bruce the lowest paid manager in the premier league.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

canny article by reade, not for the first time. the reality is though there's nowt in it that only the profoundly stupid don't know anyway.

actually...

we may have one of those on here.

• Andrew changed the title to Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United