Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United

bobbyshinton

16 minutes ago, OTF said:

If he wasn't managing elsewhere. Given his connection through Sir Bobby I think he should on paper make a good longer term option though I think he's a bit too volatile these days.

He’d walk if the price was right, which tbf it would be if the owners really wanted him 

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Totally agree.

They seem like a bunch that are organised and will have surly (hopefully) someone lined up already.

Do they?

This piracy issue could and should have been sorted 18 months ago. No red flags, remember?

When this first turned up, we were genuinely talking about Benitez or Pochettino. Now it surely has to be Conte, right?

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Do they?

This piracy issue could and should have been sorted 18 months ago. No red flags, remember?

When this first turned up, we were genuinely talking about Benitez or Pochettino. Now it surely has to be Conte, right?

I don't think the piracy actually was the main sticking point, it's just the acceptable climb down opportunity. IMO the PL probably did resist this on the ownership grounds/pressure from other clubs but didn't expect Ashley to come after them like he did. They've caved in the face of being forced to relent IMO.

Just now, Rayvin said:

I don't think the piracy actually was the main sticking point, it's just the acceptable climb down opportunity. IMO the PL probably did resist this on the ownership grounds/pressure from other clubs but didn't expect Ashley to come after them like he did. They've caved in the face of being forced to relent IMO.

I think that there may be two issues that resolving the piracy issues fixed.

1. the Piracy issue

2. the legal cases would have revealed more than the PL wanted. 

There wasn't a way to drop the cases without sorting the piracy issue.

• Like 1

Just now, The Fish said:

I think that there may be two issues that resolving the piracy issues fixed.

1. the Piracy issue

2. the legal cases would have revealed more than the PL wanted. 

There wasn't a way to drop the cases without sorting the piracy issue.

Maybe. If that is true then the reason it took 18 months is because the geopolitical complications were resolved last week - which isn't something i'd put at PIF's door anyway.

But this very much looks like the PL capitulating to me (and it is just my opinion). If Ashley knew that it was just going to be a matter of piracy, he wouldn't have bothered taking the PL to court. If the PL were only bothered about piracy, they would have just said so instead of inventing problems about ownership. I think they had multiple reasons to block this of which piracy was a convenient excuse more than the root issue. It's the fact that Ashley went for them, called their bluff, that has forced this to change. And it's the reason why no one can provide any actually coherent argument as to why the ownership issue is now no longer an issue. 

Without Ashley being a complete weapon about the whole thing, I don't think this would have happened. Nice that his cuntery actually worked out for us for once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Maybe. If that is true then the reason it took 18 months is because the geopolitical complications were resolved last week - which isn't something i'd put at PIF's door anyway.

But this very much looks like the PL capitulating to me (and it is just my opinion). If Ashley knew that it was just going to be a matter of piracy, he wouldn't have bothered taking the PL to court. If the PL were only bothered about piracy, they would have just said so instead of inventing problems about ownership. I think they had multiple reasons to block this of which piracy was a convenient excuse more than the root issue. It's the fact that Ashley went for them, called their bluff, that has forced this to change. And it's the reason why no one can provide any actually coherent argument as to why the ownership issue is now no longer an issue. 

Without Ashley being a complete weapon about the whole thing, I don't think this would have happened. Nice that his cuntery actually worked out for us for once.

But, from what I understand, the issues about piracy were intrinsically linked to the ownership issue. The state was pirating, so if the state was owning Newcastle then they'd fail the test. The previous separation assurances given by PIF weren't up to scratch, but, surprise surprise, the minute the piracy issue is resolved, these assurances are ok? Come on man. 

This is capitalism at it's worst. 

Ashley was just looking out for himself in all of this, regardless of what PIF and the PL were doing. Sure his court cases may have revealed something the PL didn't want revealed, but you're kidding yourself if you think they'd have caved had the piracy issue not been fixed.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

But, from what I understand, the issues about piracy were intrinsically linked to the ownership issue. The state was pirating, so if the state was owning Newcastle then they'd fail the test. The previous separation assurances given by PIF weren't up to scratch, but, surprise surprise, the minute the piracy issue is resolved, these assurances are ok? Come on man. 

This is capitalism at it's worst. 

Ashley was just looking out for himself in all of this, regardless of what PIF and the PL were doing. Sure his court cases may have revealed something the PL didn't want revealed, but you're kidding yourself if you think they'd have caved had the piracy issue not been fixed.

I don't think they were intrinsically linked, or else why would they be continuing to make a fuss about the "clear separation" between state and PIF now, what with it having been resolved? They'd just say "well it doesn't matter anymore whether or not there is clear separation because the piracy issue is sorted between the parties concerned". The fact that they haven't said that is relevant. They have instead climbed down. And if they didn't need the clear separation argument for the piracy issue, then what did they need it for? I would say, they needed it as yet feather in their bow to stop this going through due to pressure from other clubs. Pressure that was fairly publicly revealed at the time as I recall.

I don't see how we can know the right of this either way - I can see your side of it but I'm sticking with my interpretation on this one, solely because of Ashley's movements. For your version to be right, he'd have to have basically ignored what all parties told him and just carried on with a court case on a whim. It's possible, but for a businessman of his stature, pretty fucking unlikely. It's far more likely that he knew he was being stitched up, and went after the people responsible. And PL ran scared and took the first respectable 'out' they could get their hands on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I don't think they were intrinsically linked, or else why would they be continuing to make a fuss about the "clear separation" between state and PIF now, what with it having been resolved? They'd just say "well it doesn't matter anymore whether or not there is clear separation because the piracy issue is sorted between the parties concerned". The fact that they haven't said that is relevant. They have instead climbed down. And if they didn't need the clear separation argument for the piracy issue, then what did they need it for? I would say, they needed it as yet feather in their bow to stop this going through due to pressure from other clubs. Pressure that was fairly publicly revealed at the time as I recall.

I don't see how we can know the right of this either way - I can see your side of it but I'm sticking with my interpretation on this one, solely because of Ashley's movements. For your version to be right, he'd have to have basically ignored what all parties told him and just carried on with a court case on a whim. It's possible, but for a businessman of his stature, pretty fucking unlikely. It's far more likely that he knew he was being stitched up, and went after the people responsible. And PL ran scared and took the first respectable 'out' they could get their hands on.

Listen, the Fish isn’t about to concede you might be right about something which is largely conjecture. Even if his opposing view is too

Just now, Alex said:

Listen, the Fish isn’t about to concede you might be right about something which is largely conjecture. Even if his opposing view is too

:lol:

Maybe I am, just to be a cunt.

I just enjoy the thought processes at stake anyway, I mean who fucking knows in the end - he might well be right. It's nice to be arguing about football related matters though, rather than politics :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Your view might be right but it's is largely conjecture. Even if my view is too.

• Haha 1

I reckon Bruce will be gone by Sunday. Conte? Gattuso? Howe? There's not many out of work who would be immediately obvious, so will they buy someone out of their contract? Can't see Jose jumping ship even though I've always thought he saw himself here one day. Some noises of Graeme Jones taking temporary charge which will stop the booing against Spurs but you would think they'll want some kind of party, which means new boss and manager both in place. 

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I just enjoy the thought processes at stake anyway, I mean who fucking knows in the end - he might well be right. It's nice to be arguing about football related matters though, rather than politics :D

the football board is back in full effect!

• Like 1

• Andrew changed the title to Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United