Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United

bobbyshinton

7 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

You poor bastard. :lol: I was 18 in the promotion season of 92-93 which was fucking class, that season and the next my two favourite seasons, literally what a time to be alive! :lol: I even had a great time as a bairn 'watching' the Keegan, Waddle, Beardsley promotion year albeit I only got to one game. 

I remember thinking that ‘Going Up’ song was amazing :lol: the lines - ‘new boy Peter, he runs like a cheetah’ & ‘watch out Hoddle, we’ve got Waddle’ stick in the mind 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

I remember thinking that ‘Going Up’ song was amazing :lol: the lines - ‘new boy Peter, he runs like a cheetah’ & ‘watch out Hoddle, we’ve got Waddle’ stick in the mind 

New boy Peter!

Runs like a cheetah!

Beardsley's going to be a world beater! 

Terry Mac!

Welcome back!

*We all love old supermac 

But Keegan is Keegan going to do his thing, going to take us us up, going to make us sing!*

*Not sure if this bit's right? :lol:

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

New boy Peter!

Runs like a cheetah!

Beardsley's going to be a world beater! 

Terry Mac!

Welcome back!

*We all love old supermac 

But Keegan is Keegan going to do his thing, going to take us us up, going to make us sing!*

*Not sure if this bit's right? :lol:

Probably better than the original if not. Definitely remember the Terry Mac line too 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Toonpack said:

When he played for Ferguson, he must have been permanently paying as much attention as Shelvey is in that photo.

2 hours ago, sammynb said:

Oh but regardless, Mandy just sack the cunt, let him be the guy that never gets to 1000 games in charge.

I hope he hasn’t got to be given two weeks notice ,or he has to give two weeks notice ,before leaving the job.

36 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

You poor bastard. :lol: I was 18 in the promotion season of 92-93 which was fucking class, that season and the next my two favourite seasons, literally what a time to be alive! :lol: I even had a great time as a bairn 'watching' the Keegan, Waddle, Beardsley promotion year albeit I only got to one game. 

My first game saw Wynn the Leap score the winner against Man City.

If I see them this season I will have seen games in 7 decades

Edited by spongebob toonpants
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Rayvin said:

So to be clear, the prevailing view is that the operational performance of a previously profit making business is impacting negatively on their ability to set out clarity concerning who should take over the running of the football side of the club, and that even if this runs on to the weekend and into the Spurs game, all this will mean is that Ashley knobbled them (in a way that couldn't be picked up and therefore prepared for during due diligence, but which prevents them from setting about with what we assume their plan would have been had everything been totally perfect).

I mean it's possible I guess, and I want to stress that I am in no way calling into question their ability to run the club. I am merely saying that they may well have been caught on the hop by all of this given the speed at which it went through, and whereas during their first attempt to purchase the club they were talking to Pocchetino and Rafa before they'd even gotten the deal over the line, here they appear to be chasing around a bit. The media may well have entirely invented all of that to fill the silence that's otherwise coming from the club, but it remains somewhat odd that Bruce is still in post, and I can see it being a bit confusing indeed for the staff. However, maybe they've had private assurances about everything.

Still though, it'll be interesting to see where we end up.

Definitely caught on the hop. 

The way Ashley ran the club was threadbare, so if the new owners want a modern, fully rounded operation they're going to need to;

Decide what structure they want

Headhunt candidates for things like Sporting Director, Technical Director, Director of Football or whatever

Approach them and interview the interested ones

Then decide which managers fit that model.

That'd take time if there were staff already in those roles, but the new owners are starting from scratch.

• Like 2

Appointing the right sporting director and manager could take time. We should be patient. That’s fine.

That doesn’t change the fact that Bruce has to go before the Spurs game. Zero point in keeping him on. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

This takes time and do we have that?

Yes.

We've played 7 games.

We're 6pts off 12th.

This squad, without any additions is good enough under a decent manager to get to 45pts from the remaining games (1.35PpG) which would get you around c13th. Last year we went on two runs similar to our current one. A 9 game winless streak that only returned 2pts and a 7 game winless streak that returned 4pts. We ended the season on 45pts in 12th

Better manager + defensive, midfield and attacking options added in January, we could definitely get 10-12th.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yes.

We've played 7 games.

We're 6pts off 12th.

This squad, without any additions is good enough under a decent manager to get to 45pts from the remaining games (1.35PpG) which would get you around c13th. Last year we went on two runs similar to our current one. A 9 game winless streak that only returned 2pts and a 7 game winless streak that returned 4pts. We ended the season on 45pts in 12th

Better manager + defensive, midfield and attacking options added in January, we could definitely get 10-12th.

'Under a decent manager'

Like was said above.  Putting the structure in around a manager takes time before we then appoint a manger.  

'Under a decent manager'  We have Steve Bruce.  What happens if we don't have the above in place by November and we still have Bruce?  Jones is a good coach.  But he's shown he's no manager with Luton.

38 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Appointing the right sporting director and manager could take time. We should be patient. That’s fine.

That doesn’t change the fact that Bruce has to go before the Spurs game. Zero point in keeping him on. 

I think we’d be better off without him. Absence of a negative etc

18 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

'Under a decent manager'

Like was said above.  Putting the structure in around a manager takes time before we then appoint a manger.  

'Under a decent manager'  We have Steve Bruce.  What happens if we don't have the above in place by November and we still have Bruce?  Jones is a good coach.  But he's shown he's no manager with Luton.

November is 2 weeks away and if, say, we have the type of Sporting Director we've been linked with, I'd expect an uptick in performance even without a permanent manger in place. These aren't bean counters, these are coaches who've stepped back to take a broader view of the development of players and the club. Rangnick, for example, is perfectly capable of overseeing coaching while helping the club find the right man. 

I repeat, we had 2 runs of 7+ games without a win, under Steve Bruce, and we still ended up on 45pts which is more than enough to survive. We'll be fine.

23 minutes ago, The Fish said:

November is 2 weeks away and if, say, we have the type of Sporting Director we've been linked with, I'd expect an uptick in performance even without a permanent manger in place. These aren't bean counters, these are coaches who've stepped back to take a broader view of the development of players and the club. Rangnick, for example, is perfectly capable of overseeing coaching while helping the club find the right man. 

I repeat, we had 2 runs of 7+ games without a win, under Steve Bruce, and we still ended up on 45pts which is more than enough to survive. We'll be fine.

So we should rely on luck getting us out of this run like we did the last couple?  Because there's no way you can try and tell me that it was Bruce's magic that got us out of those runs.  My drug fucked memory isn't so bad that I can't remember how shit we still were in those games towards the end of last season where we managed to scrape points.  West Ham played with 10 men most of the game and still deserved to win.

I appreciate we can wait a bit to make sure we get the managerial appointment right, but Bruce is a negative we just don't need.

Could Jones honestly be any worse than Bruce? It's probably worth gauging the players' views on this. You want someone who can give them a short term lift. If there are players who already have issues with Jones then he may not be the man. Still, I've stuck a tenner on him at 22/1. If the club are going to take their time then he could well get the 10 games needed to settle that bet.

• Andrew changed the title to Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United