Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United

bobbyshinton

I don't have a shred of compassion for him, he was told by those close to him not to take the job and yet did anyway, and then went on to get the results and the reaction that was expected only to have a public strop about it. In fact he actually exceeded the expectations of just how poor he would be. Embarrassing really, he's clearly out of touch. If he had any footballing intelligence and/or connection with reality he should have apologised to the fans for not performing as manager of the team, for taking us backwards and for leaving the team a right mess.

On some level he's obviously a nice guy, but it's no excuse when he takes a job he shouldn't have and then performs miserably at it. Anyone that defends his record either has not watched a sustained number of our games playing under Bruce or is severely mentally deficient. I include amongst those journalists and the 'fans' that think he was doing a good job and unfairly copping criticism. Supporters of other teams you can forgive because they're not likely to have seen us on the pitch and will only have heard the drivel from the aforementioned journalists.

• Like 3

The older sister of someone who plays football with my eldest laddie works at SJP on match days. Around about this time last year a couple of people were talking about Bruce and the job he was doing. The consensus was he seemed like a decent fella out if his depth. This lass immediately said that all the players seemed nice and had time for the staff. Bruce on the other hand treated them with disdain on the odd occasion he could be arsed to even talk to them. That’s before you get onto his reputation as a landlord 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OTF said:

I include amongst those journalists and the 'fans' that think he was doing a good job and unfairly copping criticism. Supporters of other teams you can forgive because they're not likely to have seen us on the pitch and will only have heard the drivel from the aforementioned journalists.

I had the misfortune of having Messrs. White, Jordan and Murphy on in the car earlier discussing Mick McCarthy's dismissal from the Cardiff job and the chants he was getting at the match. The consensus among them was 'he's a big boy', 'results weren't good enough' and 'he's well paid to take that abuse and he'll walk away with a big pay off'.

The hypocrisy is staggering. For the life of me I can't see why Bruce has been afforded this view that he was hard done by.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I had the misfortune of having Messrs. White, Jordan and Murphy on in the car earlier discussing Mick McCarthy's dismissal from the Cardiff job and the chants he was getting at the match. The consensus among them was 'he's a big boy', 'results weren't good enough' and 'he's well paid to take that abuse and he'll walk away with a big pay off'.

The hypocrisy is staggering. For the life of me I can see why Bruce has been afforded this view that he was hard done by.

Murphy was also saying, in regards to Solksjaer, that at the end of the day the manager bears responsibility for the way the players play, their tempo, attitude, application etc., and the stats concerning efforts on goal, goals against etc. are important. Again the hypocrisy when comparing their comments about Bruce, to their ones about McCarthy and Solksjaer is ridiculous. It's got to the point where I think it's possible that Bruce runs a knocking shop on the quiet, and has compromising videos and photos on various figures in the football world Jeffrey Epstein style.

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I don't doubt that you need thick skin to be a football manager, but to be an absolutely terrible football manager and stick around long enough to manager your 1,000th game, you need both incredibly thick skin and bulletproof self belief. 

It's not the fault of the fans of the clubs he manages that Bruce has neither. 

This is it, his gossamer thin skin is stretched over a fragile ego. A man whose belief in himself is on the wane, but who’s ego won’t let him back down in light of justified criticism.

• Like 2

5 minutes on social media and you’ll see a considerable amount of people saying the hope Ole dies, hope he gets cancer etc I’ve even seen some trying to get #oledie trending, that’s about as bad as it can get really so aye there’s absolutely no chance Bruce got it worse it’s just complete media bullshit. Bruce got the same treatment as any failing manager, which considering the way he tortured the fan base with his comments in pressers was more than fair it could have been a whole lot worse imo (as seen by the treatment he got from mackems and Villa fans) 

• Like 5

Ah so this is just abuse on twitter we're talking about? No one's actually been chanting for his demise from the stands or running up to him in the street and calling him a cunt?

If so then, while I find twitter abuse deplorable, as you say - it's about as fucking consistent a phenomenon as can exist in the modern day. It's certainly not limited to just Steve Bruce unless some of our fans have really gone above and beyond. I've not noticed any mention of death threats in the media and if there'd been even a sniff of one, it'd be all over the place. 

The fact that he thinks there is even a category of people who could justifiably be called elite is offensive, the servile fuck. What's even worse is that he seems to be saying that he personally believes these people are elite, and that the discontent people have with them is somehow more problematic than, say, the existence of "elite" people themselves.

• Like 2

Actually am I being unfair there - does he just mean elite in the footballing sense? If so then yes, it's mental that he's grouped Steve Bruce in with that but I retract everything else :lol:

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Actually am I being unfair there - does he just mean elite in the footballing sense? If so then yes, it's mental that he's grouped Steve Bruce in with that but I retract everything else :lol:

You're worse than indecisive Dave from the fast show. :lol:

• Haha 2

:D 

I mean I went straight to elite as a euphemism for rich and powerful but this it's quite possible he's just talking about footballing elite. Given that he's included Bruce, I actually think the former is more likely. Bruce is definitely rich, if not anyone's definition of powerful. He's certainly not elite in the footballing sense though.

I still can't get over Arteta calling him one of the most significant managers in the English game tbh, what does that say about standards in this country...

Edited by Rayvin
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Ah so this is just abuse on twitter we're talking about? No one's actually been chanting for his demise from the stands or running up to him in the street and calling him a cunt?

If so then, while I find twitter abuse deplorable, as you say - it's about as fucking consistent a phenomenon as can exist in the modern day. It's certainly not limited to just Steve Bruce unless some of our fans have really gone above and beyond. I've not noticed any mention of death threats in the media and if there'd been even a sniff of one, it'd be all over the place. 

I always took it as they were meaning that, even Bruce himself went on about only having good experiences with fans he encountered in real life, I’ve never seen any indication he received any threats or bother when out and about only on social media, which he doesn’t have. 

I always assumed Alex would print off a list of abuse and bring it to Sunday dinner where Steve would go “come on then son, let’s hear the damage this week” “you won’t believe it this week dad psychotoonfan27 said you’re an inept cabbage headed cunt” “I don’t know how I’ll go on son, Luke Edwards will hear about this”.

• Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

:D 

I mean I went straight to elite as a euphemism for rich and powerful but this it's quite possible he's just talking about footballing elite. Given that he's included Bruce, I actually think the former is more likely. Bruce is definitely rich, if not anyone's definition of powerful. He's certainly not elite in the footballing sense though.

I still can't get over Arteta calling him one of the most significant manager's in the English game tbh, what does that say about standards in this country...

I think it says more about the standards of Arteta's brain. :good:

• Haha 2

I’m honestly not aware of any proper stick Bruce received.  There were chants in the stadium but rarely, he got off incredibly lightly due to Covid.

During the Spurs game home and away fans were singing “your getting sacked in the morning” which is hardly abusive or unfair. 

Most managers underperforming to that level will have received far, far worse stick. 

The media narrative has been absolutely beyond belief, Bruce has been a shit manager for 20 years and this is probably the best treatment he’s received. 

• Like 6