Fat waste of space, tactically inept cabbage head Steve Bruce sacked by Newcastle United

bobbyshinton

On 25/10/2021 at 14:17, Rayvin said:

:D 

I mean I went straight to elite as a euphemism for rich and powerful but this it's quite possible he's just talking about footballing elite. Given that he's included Bruce, I actually think the former is more likely. Bruce is definitely rich, if not anyone's definition of powerful. He's certainly not elite in the footballing sense though.

I still can't get over Arteta calling him one of the most significant managers in the English game tbh, what does that say about standards in this country...

he surely has to have finished that with a phrase around the fact that persistently he made teams worse, and bankrolled his pie budget with clauses in his contract that said he should be paid off in ginsters vouchers. 

And who’s having a go at Villa and their fans in the media? That seems to be seen as being a reasonable response to their poor run. Yet Bruce was painted as being treated in a disgusting manner. Due to a few daft tweets and being a dead man walking after the takeover. We hadn’t won a game all season ffs. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

I don't like to go down the route of "everyone hates us", but I really don't get why we are expected to put up with colossal bastards like Fat Sam, Pardew and Bruce, then we get grief for rightly calling them out. 

Tbh, the Spurs sacking was a disgrace, Nuno had only just won manager of the month a couple of weeks earlier, but they saw the chance to get Conte and stuck the knife in. Not even a peep of sympathy from the national press. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

I don't like to go down the route of "everyone hates us", but I really don't get why we are expected to put up with colossal bastards like Fat Sam, Pardew and Bruce, then we get grief for rightly calling them out. 

Tbh, the Spurs sacking was a disgrace, Nuno had only just won manager of the month a couple of weeks earlier, but they saw the chance to get Conte and stuck the knife in. Not even a peep of sympathy from the national press. 

Farke too. Bloke gets a decent win then, boot.

Edited by Dougle
  • Like 1

:lol: Aye both Farke and Smith got their sides promoted so are the reason they’re in the league. I’m not against them going but they’ve both been totally fucked over compared to Bruce, yet there’s not a peep of sympathy for them. Smith iirc inherited Bruce’s fucking mess at Villa, turned them round, got them promoted, built around their star player who was then promptly sold, he’s then been sacked at the first dodgy run while trying to find his feet after having his sides tactical identity upended - personally think out of any this is the sacking the press should be whinging about. 

Agree regarding Nuno as well, the only reason he was sacked was because they caught a whiff Conte had interest. Levy is to blame for their fucking mess as everyone in the footballing world knew he had to sell Kane, refusing to do so created a nightmare situation for a new manager imo. 

Usually I don’t give a fuck as at the end of the day that’s how football is, but the absolute fucking nonsense wrote about Bruce is further highlighted by these glaring examples. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

I'm not suggesting some all hate us, (although some quite clearly have their fan heads on when writing), but I'd suggest the clear regional prejudice comes out at times and not even confined to football, tbh.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'm not suggesting some all hate us, (although some quite clearly have their fan heads on when writing), but I'd suggest the clear regional prejudice comes out at times and not even confined to football, tbh.

Aye, I think it’s part of it for sure but I think there’s also a big dollop of laziness.

I think a lot of them flat out can’t be arsed to talk about another club, and do some actual research, it’s far easier to just blast out a load of cliches and then go back to talking about how amazing Manchester United is. I think that’s why the Bruce stuff got so absurd, they’d spent two seasons just saying their mate was doing a great job and looking at a mid table finish each year, not seeing how everything was rotting and a relegation was clearly coming, then when we got bought and were relevant news they all doubled down to make it seem they hadn’t been lazy bastards for years. It struck home to me when Martin Keown finally looked past simply the finishing positions and had some mind blowing revelation complete with shocked face on talkSPORT pretty much going “he’s actually doing a bad job!”. Luke Edwards is a prime example of this imo, the takeover news broke when he was traveling to cover the Europa League final and he wanted to just go out on the piss when he got there so decided to just tweet out it was all a load of bollocks and pray nowt come of it, he then proceeded to keep doubling down on this by pretending things like legal difficulties with the PL process was what he had in mind when he’d said a year prior that it was all bollocks, while he kept hoping it would all just go away. 

In short they’re all a bunch of lazy cunts. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Oh yeah, I can guarantee you most of them secretly think as northerners, we should be happy to watch muck and nettles football. It probably offends their sensibilities that we didn't have the good grace to accept Fat Sam and his prehistoric brand of football. 

It's the same mentality that is driving sarcy comments from the likes of Ollie Holt about murderous regimes. It must be killing them to know that all that money has found it's way up here instead of London or at least Manchester. 

• Like 3

Luke Edwards at his best was him saying the separation of the PIF and the government/state was still a massive issue after the piracy issue was sorted. Then subsequently writing an article explaining why it was all about the piracy issue when the takeover went through. I get that every reporter isn’t going to have the inside track all the time. Especially after a change in regime. It’s just the way he shamelessly claims he’s ITK all the time, despite all evidence to the contrary 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 1

Clearly not bothered about Farke and Nuno, because they are foreigners and did not play for ManU.  More of an issue with Smith, but he didn't play for ManU (and he was born in West Bromwich), so fuck him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Clemence and Agnew gone now.

RIP the Steves.

Nice one, just puppets to Bruce.

I was not to keen on getting Howe to start with, but having heard his interviews and seen the video of his training sessions I think its a really good appointment.

[b]'Filled with murders, kidnappings, Bosnian warlords...' - Steve Bruce's bewildering murder-mystery novels[/b]
Irish writer Seamas O’Reilly guided us through Steve Bruce’s bizarre literary career on the latest edition of Behind the Lines.

Before he chronicled his own life, however, Séamas did a service to the literary canon by excavating the work of one Stephen R. Bruce, better known as the current and wildly unpopular manager of Newcastle United, Steve Bruce. 

At  the turn of the century, just as Bruce was wading into football management, he also wrote a bewildering trilogy of murder-mystery novels, titled Striker!, Sweeper! and Defender! in which a protagonist named Steve Barnes is dragged away from his day job in football manager to solve a murder case. 

Séamas’ reviews of the books went viral, and their rarity has since rocketed their value, to the point where they are now (almost) as sought-after as first-edition copies of Ulysses. (Seamas found the first book for £14, and copies are now selling for around £1500.)

“These books were written by Steve Bruce while he was manager of Huddersfield, though ‘written’ is going to need a few inverted commas”, says Séamas on Behind the Lines.

“They weren’t so much ghostwritten as written by seance. But the basic thrust is Steve Bruce wrote these murder-mysteries set in a fictional version of Huddersfield called Leddersford.

“They contain almost no football and what football is there is execrable. They are filled with murders, kidnappings, Bosnian warlords, concentration camp guards, the SAS, Mossad, at least one case of identity theft, and at least a murder or two in each book.

“They are complete doggerel, the text in every book is about the size of the Hollywood sign, they are pamphlet-size and every one of them ends with a football match that is over in four pages and always finishes 4-2. That must be the most exciting score.” 

The books include mildly adroit wordplay – “Shannon’s office was small. On his desk was a PC. A personal computer, not a police constable.” – lofty literary allusions – “‘A pair of star-crossed lovers’, I said to Julie. She looked surprised.’That sounds clever, Steve. You have a way with words.’ ‘Not me. Old Bill Shakespeare.’” – and lengthy and bewildering digressions to the point of product placement.

Take this description of a car chase in the first book in the series. 

My car was in the place specially reserved for me as first team coach. I drive a Jaguar XJ8, 3.2, the sports version. It’s a very nice motor; 3.2 litre AJ-V8 all alloy engine. Classic colour interior theme, fluted leather seats, contrast colour keyed facia, figured walnut veneer. As good a motor as you can hope to drive. But not a car you’d choose when trying to follow a Ford saloon in a discreet manner…

“There’s another bit in the first book when he is being led up to the hills”, says Séamas. “One of his star players has been murdered and briefly the IRA are implicated in the murder.

“Two Irish characters march him up to the wetlands of a nearby, secluded part of countryside, and in the middle of that he gives this long, page-and-a-half thing about scrubs and drylands and the ancient topography of the place, and you’re reading it thinking, ‘This guy has a gun at his back!'

“It just screams word count.”

https://www.the42.ie/steve-bruce-novel-5510816-Aug2021/

🤣

• Haha 3