Hillsborough

Craig

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he was the person with ultimate responsibility on the day but I feel like he's been slightly scapegoated as the politicians (amongst others) have escaped and they helped create the situation where something like that happening in a big match was almost an inevitability. Especially given the notoriety of the South Yorkshire police and how frequently a woefully inadequate stadium like Hillsborough was used for big games. Terrible how it's taken so long for the truth to come out (officially, so to speak).

I know it hasn't finished yet but today was a bit of a smoking gun moment when Duckenfield admitted failing to divert the fans from the main tunnel was the main cause.

Opening the main gate letting in the hordes is still more a cause than closing that tunnel IMO. If they'd sealed/closed that tunnel who can say what the crush outside it would have resulted in.

The real cause was the shite organisation and crowd control outside of the ground, that and the fact the cages that fans were standing in had no possible escape route.

If there'd been appropriate control outside the ground the pressure at the gate doesn't happen and the tunnel/crush never happens.

This guy will now take the hit but it was a huge combination of things, not just one blokes actions or lack thereof, and the root cause is way prior to the tunnel question.

I agree that he shouldn't be the one scapegoat. I'd like to see the political angles addressed and the coppers who lied in the aftermath prosecuted.

Of course one of the reasons this took so long was to give some of those involved the chance to die.

This approach is currently in place for the establishment child abuse allegations.

• 1 year later...