Ye olde photos of the toon

Lazarus

Some of you may know this site but just in case:

Amber Online

Side Gallery's website, which is fantastic. I've linked the Byker page, but there's allsorts in here. The ones from North Shields (some belters taken in The Jungle) and the fish quay include the odd pic of a couple of old villains/ne'er-do-wells I knew once upon a time :huh:

Talking of Wacky, 'Fred in Raby Street backlane, 1971' (photo 9) is exactly how I imagine him. :huh:

Looks like a class site, will have a look, cheers. I work right next to the Side gallery but have never been there, must pop in. :angry:

Amber Online

Side Gallery's website, which is fantastic. I've linked the Byker page, but there's allsorts in here. The ones from North Shields (some belters taken in The Jungle) and the fish quay include the odd pic of a couple of old villains/ne'er-do-wells I knew once upon a time :huh:

The lass who took the Byker photo's is coming back shortly and is trying to trace the original people from the photo's to re-enact the scenes. Obviously a lot of them will be dead so she's wanting local Byker people to take their place.

She's wanting me to take the part of him standing against the wall with the tattoos.

Amber Online

Talking of Wacky, 'Fred in Raby Street backlane, 1971' (photo 9) is exactly how I imagine him. :huh:

Looks like a class site, will have a look, cheers. I work right next to the Side gallery but have never been there, must pop in. :angry:

He used to be my avatar.

Amber Online

He used to be my avatar.

Ahh, right, it's funny how the avatar sticks in your mind ages after it's gone. I was surprised alex wasn't James Dean when I first met him. Class photo anyway.

The Side Gallery is fantastic. Went to a class Weegee exhibition there just before Xmas. The prints shop is excellent too for old pictures of Newcastle (building of the Tyne Bridge etc.)

Guest Stevie

I love this thread, it's a shame there's not more of the Old Leazes End, and of Lemington, Newburn, Wallbottle, Westerhope way though.

Amber Online

The lass who took the Byker photo's is coming back shortly and is trying to trace the original people from the photo's to re-enact the scenes. Obviously a lot of them will be dead so she's wanting local Byker people to take their place.

She's wanting me to take the part of him standing against the wall with the tattoos.

Funny you mention that. I was looking through this site a few months back and came across a photo of a lad I knew some 25+ years ago (at least I'm 99% certain it's him). Joe Melia was his name, big, daft, fairly shy lad really. Died of alcoholic poisoning after a birthday night out - might have been his 21st. It couldn't have been long after this photo was taken, poor cunt.

Some of those fish quay blokes drank like lunatics back then.

Guest Stevie

Has anyone got a picture of what was where the Metro station at SJ is now in 1960s etc I've been told there was a boxing hall there.

Has anyone got a picture of what was where the Metro station at SJ is now in 1960s etc I've been told there was a boxing hall there.

Good one of an old baths at Gallowgate here but unfortunately a bit further along from where you're after.

I've only been able to find a picture of the finishing touches being made onm the station...

D4ED2BDE-B937-B13A-956F67582733144E.jpg

:huh:

http://www.britishboxing.net/venues_1290-N...le-England.html

Not much, but there you go.

Cheers. It could be Mick's Boxing in Philadelphia that.

I remember the wrestling there

• 5 years later...

Heaton train station.

000-0-a-t-ermel-heaton-june76.jpg

heaton(12.1972)1.jpg

heaton(8.1974sine)11.jpg

heaton(8.1974sine)9.jpg

Used to stay at my Grannys quite often and used to walk through this every sunday morning with my Aunt as a shortcut to Heaton Park and Armstrong Park when we walked her dog. Always got a lucky dip at the shop on the other side. :)

Walkergate.

Walkergate.jpg

My Mam fell down this bridge with my sister in the pram and was in hospital for a few weeks. Wasn't very safe when icy.

A better one of Walkergate but it wont let me copy it. It's the first pic of 1970-80.

http://storyofmetro.nexus.org.uk/

Walkergate was turned into a Metro station, Heaton station is now long gone.

• 8 months later...

4078146751_cfd54b862d_z.jpg

eacb7f8517e3827b12d828e6eb1e5c45.jpg

b6661a.jpg

Tyne Bridge, demolished to make way for the current Swing bridge, built in 1873, opened in 1876.

U217502.jpg

An older Tyne Bridge, destroyed by floods in 1771.

tyne-bridge-1771-after-flood.png

After the flood.

P1010584.JPG

Artists impression of the bridge the Romans built, 'Pons Aelius', the first built on the Tyne around 122 AD near the present Swing Bridge and Tyne Bridge.