Magpies remain a passion for Ashley

Scottish Mag

MIKE Ashley has rediscovered his passion for running Newcastle United after coming to terms with the hate campaign which looked as though it would force him out of St James’s Park.

Ashley’s failure to sell the club before Christmas – and a softening of the opposition to his regime – has persuaded the owner to take on a more hands-on role as he focuses his attention on developing his vision for the future at Newcastle United.

The billionaire businessman, according to managing director Derek Llambias, was naturally hurt by the abuse he received following the controversial departure of former manager Kevin Keegan and had begun to believe he would never be able to fulfil his dream of owning a successful football club.

Ashley appointed Keegan to give his project a recognisable and popular figurehead, but his regime suffered a monumental public relations disaster when the Newcastle legend quit citing boardroom interference in transfers.

It has taken months for Ashley’s presence to be accepted again on Tyneside and there is still widespread opposition to him among fans who remain suspicious about his intentions and sceptical of his business plan.

Ashley, though, is back where he wants to be and desperate to prove he can still bring Newcastle the success those supporters crave, according to Llambias.

“The passion has always been there from Mike,” said Llambias, who spoke to fans’ representatives at a Supporters’ Panel meeting at St James’s last night.

“He has missed it while he has been away, particularly the games. He brought the kids back against Everton, which was good, and he will continue to bring them, he’s back onside. I don’t think he

ever left. At the end of the day he was upset. He felt he couldn’t win (after Keegan’s exit).

“He’s pumped so much money into something, thought he was going in the right direction. You are thinking you’re getting it right and then all of sudden, out of the blue, you get a curve ball.

“You think ‘where did that come from?’ Then you have to start again or you look at it again. We’ve been naive and unfortunate in many ways.”

Nevertheless, although Llambias was keen to defend the regime’s failure to convince fans of their good intentions, he conceded it had taken the crisis caused by Keegan’s departure to really understand what is needed to run a football club and the passion which surrounds it.

“I think we understand Newcastle United a lot better after what has happened this season,” explained Llambias. “Absolutely, we understand it better as a club and as a business. We are catching on quickly.

“I think Mike misses the involvement and getting involved with the crowd. He loved it. He bought Newcastle to enjoy it, not simply as another business.

“He’s invested a huge amount of money in it and he doesn’t want to fail.”

Llambias was also keen to stress Ashley considers Newcastle to be completely separate from his business empire.

“This nothing to do with Sports Direct. It’s his passion and he really wants it to work. It’s difficult when you have people saying ‘Ashley Out’ but we are trying to look forward rather than back,” he said.

“There seems to be a misconception that the money NUFC makes goes to Mike, but we won’t take a penny out. All the money that is generated will go back into improving the football club.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...61634-23004131/

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The billionaire businessman, according to managing director Derek Llambias, was naturally hurt by the abuse he received following the controversial departure of former manager Kevin Keegan and had begun to believe he would never be able to fulfil his dream of owning a successful football club.

Is he planning on selling us and buying Liverpool, like? :mellow:

Is he planning on selling us and buying Liverpool, like? :mellow:

We're successful because we are finacially stable - Liverpool are not because they have debt - keep up man.

I was just thinking last night how they think its all over and everybody is happy with things again.

Myabe I am in a very small minority but I still despise the lot iof them.

They do and the apathy shown at games is making it appear that way.

We can't win tbh as I realise that doing anything at the matches could have a negative effect on the team at a crucial time when we badly need points, however its pissed me off that again for the last two home games we have put shit performances in, came away with point when we badly need 3 (especially at home), but most leave the match content..

I was just thinking last night how they think its all over and everybody is happy with things again.

We can't win tbh as I realise that doing anything at the matches could have a negative effect on the team at a crucial time when we badly need points, however its pissed me off that again for the last two home games we have put shit performances in, came away with point when we badly need 3 (especially at home), but most leave the match content..

I'm starting to think "fuck the players".

It seems to be widely accepted now that having a go at the owners in the stadium makes you a twat. Which is patently bollocks. If the players are too delicate to disregard a bit of Ashley abuse then fuck it, let's go down. Why prolong the agony? We'll just go down next year if we keep supporting the dirge.

Edited by Happy Face

For me, so what if he actually is passionate about the club? I don't believe that for a second but to use a footballing analogy, I'd rather watch Ginola than a 100%-er he was replaced with like Ketsbaia. Likewise I'd rather have an owner, chairman, manager etc. who were competent than the bunch of fools we have running the place.

It seems to be widely accepted now that having a go at the owners in the stadium makes you a twat. Which is patently bollocks. If the players are too delicate to disregard a bit of Ashley abuse then fuck it, let's go down. Why prolong the agony? We'll just go down next year if we keep supporting the dirge.

I can't imagine the majority of them are too happen with him either.

For me, so what if he actually is passionate about the club? I don't believe that for a second but to use a footballing analogy, I'd rather watch Ginola than a 100%-er he was replaced with like Ketsbaia. Likewise I'd rather have an owner, chairman, manager etc. who were competent than the bunch of fools we have running the place.

:lol: Divn't knock Temuri.

If we abuse the players they'll blame the fans

If we abuse the owner/management they'll blame the fans

If we back the players and owner/management they'll take the piss

Frightening isn't it

I can't imagine the majority of them are too happen with him either.

Given certainly wasn't

Helmet on. :lol:

Slagged of for not attending the supporters forum - The article suggest LLambias attended.

Slagged off for no communicating - Now communicating.

Let it go, move on for fucks sake.

Yes we'd all love Martin Oneil and Randy Learner, but we have what we have and a few hundred, thats right a few hundred still banging on about Ashley / Wise out is doing nothing positive and will do nothing positive.

Step at a time. They are now communicating.

Its what they are communicating (especially Llambias given the whispers about that meeting) that is even more worrying...

Slagged of for not attending the supporters forum - The article suggest LLambias attended.

Yes we'd all love Martin Oneil and Randy Learner, but we have what we have and a few hundred, thats right a few hundred still banging on about Ashley / Wise out is doing nothing positive and will do nothing positive.

They are the wrong people for this project. Comprende?

If we abuse the players they'll blame the fans

If we abuse the owner/management they'll blame the fans

If we back the players and owner/management they'll take the piss

Frightening isn't it

I'm not worried about getting the blame. There's not been a peep of negativity out of the fans since the Hull game. It's not seen them improve things in any way shape or form.

As for this example of 'communicating': "Talkin' Loud and Sayin' Nothing" to quote the late, great James Brown. And before the agent provacateur says "damned if they do..." etc. I'm just totally unmoved by this rather than deeply critical of it.

Edited by alex

If they honestly think Kinnear is the right man to achieve anything other than constant health/relegation battles then I don't care how much they 'care' they need to give their heads a shake.

The hope was for them to communicate the reasons for what they've done and the action they're going to take in future to fix things.

"We spent lots of money, we'll take nothing out, we got a curve ball and didn't know what to do, we were naive and unfortunate, we understand now, we'll get 46 points, challenge for the lot in 5 years, Ashley is passionate, we've caught up, don't want to fail, fans make it difficult saying "Ashley out", we're looking forward"

Can you find me one contstructive tid-bit in all this guff?