Bolton Wanderers 1-0 Newcastle United

Tom

2jfb0vo.jpg

Venue: Reebok Stadium Date: Sunday, 1 March Kick-off: 1300 GMT

Bolton (from): Jaaskelainen, Steinsson, Cahill, A O'Brien, Samuel, K Davies, McCann, Basham, Muamba, Gardner, Taylor, Cohen, Makukula, Puygrenier, Obadeyi, Al Habsi, M Davies, Smolarek, Riga, Hunt, Elmander.

Newcastle United TBA

Newcastle United at the Reebok - Premier League

2007/08: Won 3-1 N'Zogbia, Martins 2

2006/07: Lost 1-2 Dyer

2005/06: Lost 0-2 No scorer

2004/05: Lost 1-2 Ambrose

2003/04: Lost 0-1

2002/03: Lost 3-4 Shearer 2, Ameobi

2001/02: Won 4-0 Solano, Robert, Shearer, Bellamy

1997/98: Lost 0-1

1995/96: Won 3-1 Ferdinand 2, Lee

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Premier League survival is all that remains from this season for these two mid-table sides.

These are two of the Premier League's most inactive clubs. This is Bolton's 29th game of the season and Newcastle's 31st. By comparison, the Carling Cup final will be Manchester United's 46th fixture of the campaign.

Newcastle were the fifth of 10 clubs Gary Megson represented in his playing career. The Bolton manager made 21 league appearances for the Magpies in the 1984-85 season.

Newcastle gained their first points in six Premier League visits to Bolton with a 1-3 victory last season. The Magpies have not recorded back-to-back league victories at Bolton since 1911 and 1912.

Distance between the clubs: 152 miles (245 kilometres)

Club Form

Bolton Wanderers

Going into this round of matches: 12th 30 points

1. Won two of three Premier League matches, and lost seven of 11.

2. Five points up on this same stage last season, when three places lower in the table at 15th.

3. Completed 14 top-flight games since a clean sheet; the longest such sequence currently in the Premier League. Their last shut-out was a 0-1 win at Hull on 8 November.

4. Failed to score in five of the last eight league games.

5. Won the last two home league games; not won three in a row at the Reebok since the last two of last season and the first of this. Not won three successive home league games in a single season for over a year. That was when the chalked up four in a row between 24 November 2007 and 2 January 2008.

6. The only club not to have scored a penalty in the Premier League this season.

7. Won the last two top-flight matches against North-East clubs; 1-3 against Middlesbrough and 1-4 against Sunderland, both away.

8. Won four of the last five league games against clubs from the region.

9. Only two of their 11 remaining Premier League fixtures after this are against current top five clubs; away to Chelsea and home to Aston Villa.

Newcastle United

Going into this round of matches: 15th 28 points

1. Won one of eight Premier League matches; 2-3 against West Brom in their most recent match on the road.

2. The current tally of 28 points after 26 games is on a par with last season, when they were two spots higher in 13th.

3. Not lost a league game in which they have opened the scoring; won six and drawn three of nine.

4. Not won a league game in which they have conceded the opening goal; drawn four and lost 10 of 14.

5. Conceded nine penalties in Premier League matches this term; more than any other club. Eight have been converted.

6. The victory at the Hawthorns on 7 February ended a run of three successive away league losses.

7. Not won consecutive away league games since Middlesbrough (1-2) and Sunderland (1-4) were defeated in North-East derbies on 9 and 17 April 2006 respectively.

8. Drawn four and lost five of the last nine against North-West clubs, and won only one of the last 10 against clubs from the region this season. That victory was against Bolton.

9. Three of their next four fixtures after this are all home to so-called 'Big Four' clubs; Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Last seasons Corressponding fixture

Bolton Wanderers 1-3 Newcastle United

12 August 2007 - Ref: Chris Foy

Bolton scorer: Anelka 50

Newcastle scorers: N'Zogbia 11, Martins 21, 27

0,,12306~3762842,00.jpg

:lol:

USERS MUST REFRAIN FROM POSTING ILLEGAL MATCH STREAMS

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper

R.Taylor---Coloccini---Bassong---Enrique

Duff---Smith---Butt---Gutierrez

Viduka---Martins

Thats what i think will be the team...

But id go for...

Harper

S.Taylor---Coloccini---Bassong---Enrique

R.Taylor---Smith---Butt---Gutierrez

Martins---Viduka

2-1 win...Martins and Enrique

:lol:

Pretty sure Shola will be starting. I'd also like to see R. Taylor as what he actually is, a right back, so the other Taylor can finally get out the team. Wing pair of Duff and Jonas will suit me.

Pretty much the team i think will be picked.

How do you feel about strola and oba upfront?

If we win (and it is winnable), we'll nearly be safe. I worry about Smith and Butt in the middle though. And I would probably play them two if I was manager.

If we win (and it is winnable), we'll nearly be safe. I worry about Smith and Butt in the middle though. And I would probably play them two if I was manager.

I dont think it will put us safe like bud but it certainly would be a massive boost. This is a 6 pointer for sure.

Smith and Butt in the middle doesnt exactly get me excited but id rather have either of them ahead of Geremi.

I dont think its a bad side we'll field on sunday but its not our best for sure.

What is our best side when fully fit?

I dont think it will put us safe like bud but it certainly would be a massive boost. This is a 6 pointer for sure.

Smith and Butt in the middle doesnt exactly get me excited but id rather have either of them ahead of Geremi.

I dont think its a bad side we'll field on sunday but its not our best for sure.

What is our best side when fully fit?

Didn't mean mathematically safe but just the confidence boost and the notion will probably pick up at least another 8-10 points even if we're crap between now and the season end. Only trouble with our defence is they aren't great in the air. Bassong is good but he's not dominant enough to do it on his own against Bolton at their place hoying it into the mixer for 90 mins. That said, I could see us getting a 0-0. I'm not too confident of a win though. Nowts each is a canny result in the fgrand sheme of things however.

Bolton's home form (W5 D2 L6), is slightly misleading as four of the six defeats were Arsenal, Manu, Dippers and Chelsea (Everton, Wigan the other two). They've had decent results against bottom-half sides.

Not confident but I can't remember the last time I was this season. Draw for me.

Bolton's home form (W5 D2 L6), is slightly misleading as four of the six defeats were Arsenal, Manu, Dippers and Chelsea (Everton, Wigan the other two). They've had decent results against bottom-half sides.

Not confident but I can't remember the last time I was this season. Draw for me.

Aye. I think Lawrenson is spot on with his logic tbf.

Guest Danny_WemBley
When you signed up on a Newcastle United message board two days ahead of a cup final.

Where Im from, thats called gloating. Its not nice but hey, nor am I.

Harper

S. Taylor Coloccini Bassong Enrique

R. Taylor Nolan Jonas

Martins Viduka Lovenkrands

Come on Chris and Colin! Time to break out the 4-3-3!

I still say since we've got more (theoretically) strikers than we do mid-fielders, we ought to just start running 4-3-3 against teams without a lot of offense. Especially after Beye comes back.

nolans suspended

Sorry, my American is showing. :lol:

Replace with Duff.

Duff in the middle? God help us. I'd love to do 4-3-3 and it would be a good idea against the likes of Bolton, but not without Guthrie, Barton, or Nolan involved.

nolans suspended

Sorry, my American is showing. :lol:

Replace with Duff.

Duff in the middle? God help us. I'd love to do 4-3-3 and it would be a good idea against the likes of Bolton, but not without Guthrie, Barton, or Nolan involved.

Yeah, it isn't exactly what you'd call, "ideal", but with the injuries we've sustained to the midfielders you mention, that's why I think it might work. The idea would be our front 3 puts a bunch of pressure on. The midfield has been almost transparent the last couple of matches I've watched, so in my nutty world, we're better off committing 3 bodies to doing a questionable job at best rather than 4.