Bolton Wanderers 1-0 Newcastle United

Tom

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone notice Smith calling Hughton a prick for putting on Geremi instead of him?

Aye. Not quite made the same impact as when Bellamy called Souness it though.

Can someone explain why Hughton waited until there were 12 mins to go to make his first tactical substitution as well?

Guest Stevie

If you respected someone you wouldn't call them a prick, to their face or behind their back, so that tells you behind the scenes that there is little or no authority over the players, not that it's a big revelation like.

We take corners and free kicks that either fail to beat the first man or are hit majorly into touch. Precisely what is going on with reagrds to training is anyone's guess but surely a intensive session on set pieces has to be in order.

Tactically they haven't a clue, bringing Martins off instead of Ameobi (who should never wear a Newcastle shirt again!) was criminal.

And I'd love to hear Alan Wiley's explanation for the handball.

We've got Steve Bennett as ref on Wednesday - every match I've seen him referee Man Utd has resulted in an over-whelming bias towards the Manc cunts. Expect fuck all - either as a result or from a refereeing perspective.

Guest Stevie

It's the same with any ref who Ferguson says is good, or has had a good game. Ferguson's years of abusing refs and getting away with it, has created a fear factor for referees over the last 20 years, who know the consequences of borderline decisions against Man Utd.

If you respected someone you wouldn't call them a prick, to their face or behind their back, so that tells you behind the scenes that there is little or no authority over the players, not that it's a big revelation like.

Aye. The whole club is a shambles from what I've heard anyway. From a few different sources as well.

The camera must have been right in front of Smith as well so he probably knew it would be on TV. Martins didn't look too impressed at coming off either.

Funnily enough I cam't remember which game it was but I noticed a commentator say that Bennett hadn't sent anyone off this season and I thought we must have him in one of our games so theres plenty time - didn't know it would be so soon.

Did anyone notice Smith calling Hughton a prick for putting on Geremi instead of him?

Can someone explain why Hughton waited until there were 12 mins to go to make his first tactical substitution as well?

I think some managers just think it's common practise as opposed to making the substitution for a reason.

I think some managers just think it's common practise as opposed to making the substitution for a reason.

How do you mean?

Yesterday it actually looked like they were going to put Viduka on about the same time Butt got injured and then they changed their mind because they were forced into subbing Butt. This was around the 20 minutes to go mark I think.

What I don't get is when you know you need to do something tactically but an injury happens, why not make both subs anyway! Shy bairns and all that.

As far as i can tell its set in stone if you are a toon manager that you are completely incapable of understanding substitutions and refuse point blank to make them until its too late, and further that you should make the wrong choice when you do!

As for the Smith incident, it really does show how useless the current management duo are going to be if thats the authority they exert over players!

Yesterday it actually looked like they were going to put Viduka on about the same time Butt got injured and then they changed their mind because they were forced into subbing Butt. This was around the 20 minutes to go mark I think.

What I don't get is when you know you need to do something tactically but an injury happens, why not make both subs anyway! Shy bairns and all that.

You're probably right but that's ridiculous when you think about it. To follow on from what you say it was crying out for a change, even just to somehow get a bit of luck to get a goal. Nothing venture and all that. Plus, they'd still have had a spare sub anyway. If you get two late injuries after that you just have to hold your hand up and say we were unlucky, but at least we went for it. The way we let the last 25 mins or so of the game slip away was a joke.

You're probably right but that's ridiculous when you think about it. To follow on from what you say it was crying out for a change, even just to somehow get a bit of luck to get a goal. Nothing venture and all that. Plus, they'd still have had a spare sub anyway. If you get two late injuries after that you just have to hold your hand up and say we were unlucky, but at least we went for it. The way we let the last 25 mins or so of the game slip away was a joke.

Made ten times worse by the fact Bolton had dropped way too deep and were clinging on for their win, asking us to attack them, and they were pannicking because recently they've let leads slip and it was there for the taking if we'd made changes early and made the right ones.

Made ten times worse by the fact Bolton had dropped way too deep and were clinging on for their win, asking us to attack them, and they were pannicking because recently they've let leads slip and it was there for the taking if we'd made changes early and made the right ones.

Aye and when you look at how poor they were overall it's more like 3 points than 1 point dropped imo. I would have settled for a draw like :lol:

Edited by alex

How do you mean?

Rather than make a tactical substitution that will influence a game in a positive way at the right time, e.g expose a weakness in the opposition or play to our strengths they just make a decision because they feel it makes them look like they are doing something as opposed to nothing.

Almost a token effort.

How do you mean?

Rather than make a tactical substitution that will influence a game in a positive way at the right time, e.g expose a weakness in the opposition or play to our strengths they just make a decision because they feel it makes them look like they are doing something as opposed to nothing.

Almost a token effort.

:lol:

How do you mean?

Almost a token effort.

:doh:

He's right to be fair, we've had it with Kinnear and more recently Hughton, neither seem to have a clue... Subs are either too late or totally mind bogglingly shite. :lol:

How do you mean?

Almost a token effort.

He's right to be fair, we've had it with Kinnear and more recently Hughton, neither seem to have a clue... Subs are either too late or totally mind bogglingly shite. :lol:

It's ok though, because the board are confident in Hughton's ability to fill in for JFK (whose ability isn't in question either apparently). Especially after the sterling job Chris did earlier in the season. Or something.

I didn't watch the game.

Hardly even thought about it.

Got texted the result but was neither surprised or disappointed. Just expected it.

Watched The Lion King instead of MOTD2.

It was a nice weekend.

:lol:

I didn't watch the game.

Hardly even thought about it.

Got texted the result but was neither surprised or disappointed. Just expected it.

Watched The Lion King instead of MOTD2.

It was a nice weekend.

Is that Rio Ferdinand on the right in your avatar? :lol:

Not whe Hughton Comes out with crap like this.

Chris Hughton has defended his decision to substitute Obafemi Martins during Newcastle’s defeat at Bolton on Sunday.

Nigerian forward Martins looked like Newcastle’s most potent attacking force at The Reebok, but was replaced by Mark Viduka with The Magpies chasing the game.

The switch was greeted with calls of ‘you don’t know what you’re doing by the travelling Newcastle support’ and it was a decision that did not bear fruit as Bolton held on without too much alarm.

Martins looked bemused by the decision but Hughton claims he made the change because the forward was ‘lacking sharpness’.

"Oba has been out of action for some time and perhaps lacked that bit of sharpness," said Hughton.

"That's why I made the change."

So why swao him for super sharpe viduka :lol:

We will go down if we don't start Viduka and Martins.

That's my categorical view.

I've been willing to accept a couple of games easing them back in from the bench (especially as we beat West Brom) but we now have to cut to the chase - any game where it doesn't happen is even more of a write off.

That's my categorical view.

I've been willing to accept a couple of games easing them back in from the bench (especially as we beat West Brom) but we now have to cut to the chase - any game where it doesn't happen is even more of a write off.

Strange isn't it, that its obvious to all the fans, yet the "proffessionals" we pay to do the job find it beyond them. I'm sure most people on here have problems with Viduka and/or Martins to varying degrees, as neither is perfect, but both are streets ahead of Shola etc and both can win a match. If they tire, then take them off after having got as long as possible out of them.

I remember watching SSN and they were discussiing the relagtion candits and Merson said if Viduka stys fit and plays enough games we would stay up easilly, if he doesn't play we'll go down! Not usual the voice of reason Merson but people in the game do rate Viduka's ability, except for our management of course!