How does the motorway speed limits work?

sammynb

I know this is a stupid question but what is the maximum speed on an English motorway?

Obviously you get things like a 50mph sign at road works but then when all is clear there is nothing.

I've driven autobahns and outback Australia (NT) where there are (were) no actual speed limits but the motorways are as confusing as fuck.

I know this is a stupid question but what is the maximum speed on an English motorway?

Obviously you get things like a 50mph sign at road works but then when all is clear there is nothing.

I've driven autobahns and outback Australia (NT) where there are (were) no actual speed limits but the motorways are as confusing as fuck.

70 mph. Same applies to dual carriageways (i.e. two-laned 'A' roads) unless otherwise stated.

Dual carriageways and motorways are 70mph, national speed limit (as indicated by black diagonal line on white background) on other road is 60Mph.

Manned patrols would normally not bother below 80mph but there are shit loads of cameras nowadays.

Mmm obviously people don't give a toss as I was doing a ton at one stage and others were going past me!

People are quite cavalier in areas without cameras - the thing you have to watch is that > 100mph is usually an automatic driving ban.

Mmm obviously people don't give a toss as I was doing a ton at one stage and others were going past me!

People are quite cavalier in areas without cameras - the thing you have to watch is that > 100mph is usually an automatic driving ban.

And are all cameras painted orange?

No they vary - some are signposted and they also sometimes have mobile units which they hide behind bridges.

I don't think its worth the hassle - I usually just stick to 70-80.

No they vary - some are signposted and they also sometimes have mobile units which they hide behind bridges.

I don't think its worth the hassle - I usually just stick to 70-80.

Oh.

Am I the only one on here not to have a speeding ticket?

Come on, speedsters, own up :lol:

I've never had one, although i've only been driving for four years.

I've never had one, although I haven't driven for the best part of ten years.

Am I the only one on here not to have a speeding ticket?

Come on, speedsters, own up :lol:

I got one from a camera whch was I think 39 in a 30 which was honestly at 5 in the morning pulling away from lights - I was heading to Stansted for a game - I think it was Everton when Shearer scored that goal.

I think back now to when I used to drive to a few away games when I lived in the NE where if there had been any cameras I would have been fucked.

70 mph. Same applies to dual carriageways (i.e. two-laned 'A' roads) unless otherwise stated.

Can depend if there's a central reservation and or street lighting, which can make them 60 or even 30 without necessarily been posted as such.

Even more confusingly there are stretches with a central reservation + crash barriers and such posted specifically as 70. :lol:

I've had a couple of speeding tickets in the past from cameras. On the plus side, I got away with a talking-to from a traffic officer once after he stopped me for doing 105 on the M1 near Leeds because it was a sunday night and there was nothing else on the road. It would be a 30 day ban these days.

Never got a speeding ticket, but then again I have only bneen driving for about 6 months ^^

I only ever really drive on roads I know, anyway, and every day I am going to and from school on the same roads. The manned Police Cameras are always in the same places, and there are no fixed ones on my way to school, so I know the sort of places I can speed up/slow down.

Q- How does the motorway speed limit work

A- they put up a little white sign with a black line through it, which means, drive as fast as you think you can get away with, without being caught by a camera, or a cop.

Q- How does the motorway speed limit work

A- they put up a little white sign with a black line through it, which means, drive as fast as you think you can get away with, without being caught by a camera, or a cop.

Is the correct answer.