NUSC update from Supporters meeting

3bitbob

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NUSC needs to decide whether it wants to remain a protest group or a supporters club. It cant be both.

Theres nothing wrong with taking a de facto adverseral position - I remember having a chat with Mark Jensen a few years ago outside Upton park (deciding whether to go in as the game was on the point of being called off) when he asked me what I thought of The Mag - I said it had become too much part of the establishment and gave the club an easy ride - he replied that we had nothing to complain about (at the time) to which I said theres always something.

Even if Keegan was still here and Ashley had splashed the cash I think there would still have been a place for an "annoying" presence to keep the bastards in line - as it is I have no problem with hassling liars.

you're right, quite a lot of people did complain about us qualifying regularly for europe, signing top class players, expanding the stadium and filling it every game.

Amazing like. Especially with hindsight.

Next time this happens - if it happens - hopefully people might appreciate it a bit more instead of whinging on about the odd PR gaffe which is totally irrelevant when put into context.

Most of the time I think you have a point which you overstate but there you're implying everything was always rosy - heres a classic for you - me an my mates being kicked out of our seats for corporate cunts - your constant implication that a half decent team (which won nothing) excuses the shit we STILL had to put up with from Hall and Shepherd is fucking shite.

certainly don't think everything was perfect - far from it - but I don't give a rats arse about "shit" from Hall and Shepherd when they back their managers, which is all you want from them. The way Ashley has set about running this club should be ramming that point home.

I'm only 7 seats away from the area that was booted out of the middle of the Leazes End, and yes there is no doubt that it was wrong of them to do it.

We may have won fuck all, but I wouldn't swap our last decade for someone like say the smoggies who did. We could have won the FA Cup but for the width of a post against Arsenal, we could have beaten Chelsea if Solano had tracked Poyet in the semi final. The margins in football are thin, but winning nowt doesn't mean they were shit because they were far from it. We played in the Champs League and qualified for europe twice as often in 15 years as we had done in the previous 30. If Ashley does half as well, those who are still behind him - not saying too many on here are mind - will cream their knicks.

When it comes down to it, a few PR gaffes mean fuck all, they never bothered me personally and never will. The same goes for Ashley too, if he was successful or gave it his best shot I wouldn't give a toss what he does, he can do what he likes.

NUSC needs to decide whether it wants to remain a protest group or a supporters club. It cant be both.

Theres nothing wrong with taking a de facto adverseral position - I remember having a chat with Mark Jensen a few years ago outside Upton park (deciding whether to go in as the game was on the point of being called off) when he asked me what I thought of The Mag - I said it had become too much part of the establishment and gave the club an easy ride - he replied that we had nothing to complain about (at the time) to which I said theres always something.

Even if Keegan was still here and Ashley had splashed the cash I think there would still have been a place for an "annoying" presence to keep the bastards in line - as it is I have no problem with hassling liars.

you're right, quite a lot of people did complain about us qualifying regularly for europe, signing top class players, expanding the stadium and filling it every game.

Next time this happens - if it happens - hopefully people might appreciate it a bit more instead of whinging on about the odd PR gaffe which is totally irrelevant when put into context.

Most of the time I think you have a point which you overstate but there you're implying everything was always rosy - heres a classic for you - me an my mates being kicked out of our seats for corporate cunts - your constant implication that a half decent team (which won nothing) excuses the shit we STILL had to put up with from Hall and Shepherd is fucking shite.

certainly don't think everything was perfect - far from it - but I don't give a rats arse about "shit" from Hall and Shepherd when they back their managers, which is all you want from them. The way Ashley has set about running this club should be ramming that point home.

I'm only 7 seats away from the area that was booted out of the middle of the Leazes End, and yes there is no doubt that it was wrong of them to do it.

We may have won fuck all, but I wouldn't swap our last decade for someone like say the smoggies who did. We could have won the FA Cup but for the width of a post against Arsenal, we could have beaten Chelsea if Solano had tracked Poyet in the semi final. The margins in football are thin, but winning nowt doesn't mean they were shit because they were far from it. We played in the Champs League and qualified for europe twice as often in 15 years as we had done in the previous 30. If Ashley does half as well, those who are still behind him - not saying too many on here are mind - will cream their knicks.

When it comes down to it, a few PR gaffes mean fuck all, they never bothered me personally and never will. The same goes for Ashley too, if he was successful or gave it his best shot I wouldn't give a toss what he does, he can do what he likes.

You talk about thin margins - there were two occasions when Shepherd failed to spend that cost us dearly imo - January 2002 and Summer of 2003 - its another of your cliches that they always backed them - they didn't.

I think the previous regime was better than Ashley but I have no rosy specs either - they were cunts in it for the money they could screw out of us the same way Ashley is - the only difference is they had a different plan which meant we saw some good football.

You talk about thin margins - there were two occasions when Shepherd failed to spend that cost us dearly imo - January 2002 and Summer of 2003 - its another of your cliches that they always backed them - they didn't.

I think the previous regime was better than Ashley but I have no rosy specs either - they were cunts in it for the money they could screw out of us the same way Ashley is - the only difference is they had a different plan which meant we saw some good football.

get fed up of hearing about the summer of 2003 to be honest, so many people forget we shelled out 9m for Woodgate in the January and don't give this transfer the credit it deserved.

Would it have suited you if they had waited until the summer [and not qualified for the CL, or he had gone somewhere else ?]

Who isn't in football for money, what rosy specs is that ?

People harping on about these "debts" then complain the club didn't spend in 2003 ........ you can't have it both ways. There is no guarantee if they had spent money they didn't have in 2003 that it would have been spent well either, what then ?

I don't know to what degree you think they ought to have backed their managers, but probably only ManU, Chelsea and possibly Liverpool spent more.

There is a very amateurish streak that runs through NUSC IMO.

But the fact remains, that NOBODY ELSE is doing anything practical about it and it's easy to spout off on an internet forum. The guys and gals putting in their time trying to get this off the ground have my respect. I do think they go about things in a strange way though sometimes and it's halting progress and turning some fans off.

I think we should all take a step back in regards to how good Bassong is, tbh.

The kid's new on the block, and does look good, but there will be a possibility next season of opposition coaches having 'worked him out' and playing on his weaknesses. If that is the case, we could have a completely different player on our hands.

Anyway, the above wont apply if we're in the Championship as he will be a newbie all over again to the teams in that league.

Sorry for getting off topic a bit.

Agree with this. Bassong makes some horrible grabs with his arms. He's been lucky on numerous occassions to have not given away penalties, the way he grabs the arms of the player he is marking. Did the same with the Heskey 'incident' only then the ball was so far ahead and the grab was so plainly obvious that it couldn't be missed.

Bassong is a handy player to have, don't get me wrong, he's quick strong and is great at clearing danger. Even if you do all of these it doesn't matter at all if you're just as likely to give away a penalty. If he can get that out of his game he should be a great player for us.

But the fact remains, that NOBODY ELSE is doing anything practical about it and it's easy to spout off on an internet forum. The guys and gals putting in their time trying to get this off the ground have my respect. I do think they go about things in a strange way though sometimes and it's halting progress and turning some fans off.

I Agree - but they appear to be taking any criticisms towards them into account. Its a new thing, so it'll take a while to set up but i'm possitive that, provided it keeps going, it'll be a strong supporters group. They're clearly in it to change things for the better, so if nothing else, they have my support for that.

I Agree - but they appear to be taking any criticisms towards them into account. Its a new thing, so it'll take a while to set up but i'm possitive that, provided it keeps going, it'll be a strong supporters group. They're clearly in it to change things for the better, so if nothing else, they have my support for that.

Yes, they do, I agree. It's amazing how normal language sounds really offensive once you're in the public domain. Nobody's going to take the NUSC seriously until it learns the language of diplomacy, at least in public. Saying that, most often they get it right, it's more at the begining when they were venting frustrations that it came across wrong. It's hard to live those reputations down though.

Yes, they do, I agree. It's amazing how normal language sounds really offensive once you're in the public domain. Nobody's going to take the NUSC seriously until it learns the language of diplomacy, at least in public. Saying that, most often they get it right, it's more at the begining when they were venting frustrations that it came across wrong. It's hard to live those reputations down though.

I agree totally which is why some of us got our way and changed things round. Moved away from the confrontational aspect and went more diplomatic.

As for your post CT then apologies but even you must see that almost everything you post is a direct argument against whatever we do, if we call for protest you argue it should be talks, when we talk to those in charge you make it out as if we were standing there offering the bloke outside yet the stuff you're quoting from says nothing of the sort.

We can and have taken criticism for stuff thats been done but its getting fairly tedious when even the good things are picked apart by the same people time after time. Make no mistake there would not be these discussions and the Journal interview if the NUSC did not exist.

As for the calling for us to be free so more will join well strangely thats what Llambias says as well, now why do you think he says that? is it because he wants us to be a 10,000 strong group? or because he knows that we will have neither the funds or more importantly the credibility to make a change?

Oh and Asprilla I agree totally about the amateurish comment, plainly and simply because thats what we are, none of us are experts in these things, none of us are used to producing press releases or working out how to take on a massive company. What we are is passionate about the club and what we believe in, passionate about setting up a proper supporters club and dedicated to making it work. If we could wake up tomorrow and all the shite around the football club was sorted and we could get down to just organising the other supporters club stuff then Id be a happy man but we cant. For now this is hanging over us and needs to be exposed. If it ever achieves change at the club then great but if it doesnt then at least we will know we tried.

People have to understand it can't be free. It's simple.

We need to get a clear opinion of the views of the fans and give it mobility in which to communicate with the club. Firstly, the membership allows the NUSC to operate on a financial level, secondly the view cannot be perverted by outside fans as people having a laugh at our expense aren't going to pay £10 each to do so.

You get a car sticker, a badge, a membership card and a keyring man and you also get to give your opinion and make a change! :lol:

People have to understand it can't be free. It's simple.

We need to get a clear opinion of the views of the fans and give it mobility in which to communicate with the club. Firstly, the membership allows the NUSC to operate on a financial level, secondly the view cannot be perverted by outside fans as people having a laugh at our expense aren't going to pay £10 each to do so.

You get a car sticker, a badge, a membership card and a keyring man and you also get to give your opinion and make a change! :lol:

Dont forget the members benefits and discounts :doh:

http://www.nusc.org.uk/benefits.php

Oh and Asprilla I agree totally about the amateurish comment, plainly and simply because thats what we are, none of us are experts in these things, none of us are used to producing press releases or working out how to take on a massive company. What we are is passionate about the club and what we believe in, passionate about setting up a proper supporters club and dedicated to making it work. If we could wake up tomorrow and all the shite around the football club was sorted and we could get down to just organising the other supporters club stuff then Id be a happy man but we cant. For now this is hanging over us and needs to be exposed. If it ever achieves change at the club then great but if it doesnt then at least we will know we tried.

The notes of the meeting do look and sound amateurish. Fair enough if they're for private consumption, not if they're published by the NUSC. Wouldn't take much to polish them up imo.

I agree totally which is why some of us got our way and changed things round. Moved away from the confrontational aspect and went more diplomatic.

As for your post CT then apologies but even you must see that almost everything you post is a direct argument against whatever we do, if we call for protest you argue it should be talks, when we talk to those in charge you make it out as if we were standing there offering the bloke outside yet the stuff you're quoting from says nothing of the sort.

We can and have taken criticism for stuff thats been done but its getting fairly tedious when even the good things are picked apart by the same people time after time. Make no mistake there would not be these discussions and the Journal interview if the NUSC did not exist.

As for the calling for us to be free so more will join well strangely thats what Llambias says as well, now why do you think he says that? is it because he wants us to be a 10,000 strong group? or because he knows that we will have neither the funds or more importantly the credibility to make a change?

If you're on their radar (which you are) then you're doing something right. :icon_lol: I acknowledge that it's all new ground for you all and I hope you understand that I'm just trying to say how it looks from the outside when it's going a little wayward. Saying and doing are two very different things and NUSC are doing.

Oh and I finally joined today, I got paid for my last job and am now looking forward to my key fob. :icon_lol:

Christ haway man, they're nearly 5000 words long. What do you want us to do hire JK Rowling in to tart them up? They are comprehensive and march exactly what happened that's what is important

Well isn't that what the membership fees are for? :icon_lol:

I'm grateful for the info by the way.

I don't believe the Xisco stuff at all. Only a few weeks ago, probably to explain away Kinnear's apparent refusal to even consider playing the lad, the club said he was bought as 'one for the future' - surely Wise's territory.

Yet now we're supposed to believe that the young French kid who's done well is a 'Dennis' signing while the young Spanish flop is Keegan's. Righto :icon_lol:

great writeup and some interesting points raised .

the comment regarding salarys is a really interesting one aswell , makes me wish id kept linked from articles reporting our wage outgoings from previous years . i remember report that had us turning 5mill profit per season after ashley arrived , and mike has loaned the club another 30+ million since...

there has been so many different reports of accounts your stuck with taking everything they say at face value , but it doesnt add up to me .

i was one of the first to raise concerns about ashley and have kept an eye on figures reported since he arrived and none of it add's up .

That's a canny post tbf. I think it's a real shame that it took something like this for a supporters' club to be formed. Disgrace when you think about the supporters' clubs that even many small clubs have.

That's a canny post tbf. I think it's a real shame that it took something like this for a supporters' club to be formed. Disgrace when you think about the supporters' clubs that even many small clubs have.

Fuck me I've arrived :icon_lol:

Tbf, you can understand why I was (am still am) a bit suss. You claim to be against the regime and what they've done and at the same time you've advocated appointing Wise as manager. You've had a pop at NUSC at every turn but not really offered an alternative way of doing anything (apart from keeping on getting shafted by the people in charge of the club). And the mackems were trying to get NUSC to have free membership (which you also advocate) in order to infiltrate it. And you go on about Boldon a lot :icon_lol:

I'd add that the way the way the club (ie Hall/Fletcher) killed the old supporters club was another fucking disgrace.

Aye.

Fuck me I've arrived :icon_lol:

Tbf, you can understand why I was (am still am) a bit suss. You claim to be against the regime and what they've done and at the same time you've advocated appointing Wise as manager. You've had a pop at NUSC at every turn but not really offered an alternative way of doing anything (apart from keeping on getting shafted by the people in charge of the club). And the mackems were trying to get NUSC to have free membership (which you also advocate) in order to infiltrate it. And you go on about Boldon a lot :icon_lol:

Dont want to spoil this moment by getting sucked into an argument :icon_lol: but re the points in bold.

Wise and Poyet and still think that would have been better for the "football" than continuing with Kinnear or Hughton and Calderwood. (Naturally my first choice would be KK or someone really good but that aint going to happen, especially from an owner who has probably spent £15 mill on compo in a year).

Can only call it as I see it and tbf I have joined. I view it as constructive and hope its just one opinion of many that will eventually lead to the Arsenal type set up.

Boldon, well lived here for over 40 years and growing up the ratio was 90% sunderland to 10% Newcastle, although that changed during the keegan years :icon_lol: now its about 65 / 35 I would say. So yes I have been defending the front line for a long time. Once as a kid even went to roker park (not for a derby) wearing my Newcastle top and got a kick in the mouth of this tiny little fucker who was obviously taking Judo or summit.

Also got taken to watch Sunderland play preston North End by a neighbour when I was 8 and threw up all over his car.

Wise in charge would be more honest like. Not sure it would be any better though, not least as he'd be afforded non of the goodwill Kinnear got (or is that just apathy? Not sure, to be honest). But anyway, I can't accept the current lot because of the lowered expectations where we've reached a stage where people are thinking along the lines of 'Wise is a bit better than Kinnear'. The danger of showing even a little bit of acceptance, to me, is that they'll think they've got away with it, if they don't already. So long as we stay up, obviously. Which will be hard over the next few seasons, even if we manage it this year. They've fucked the club up good and proper. They've lied to us and they've lied to KK and they're still lying imo. That's doesn't exonerate Shepherd and the Halls in any way either.

Edited by alex

I'd say JFK has a more convincing managerial track record than Wise. Academic I think, as he'd not do it and there'd be hell on if he did.

Poyet I've long thought is likely because of his previous with Wise, but really he's got very little on his CV to suggest he's up to it. He'd be a gamble. Being a good fit for the system is a pretty flimsy justification for appointing him. On the other hand we have so many fucking spud rejects on the books now another one probably won't make much difference either way.