Owen to stay at NUFC this summer says Butt

Angelus71

MICHAEL OWEN will stay at Newcastle this summer — according to his closest friend at St James’s Park.

While many assume Owen will move on when his contract expires in June, Nicky Butt believes United’s skipper is ready to sign a new deal and remain in Toon.

It is the first time anyone close to Owen has hinted that his long-term future may lie on Tyneside, with Manchester City mooted as his likeliest destination.

However, Butt insists his optimism about keeping his long-time England team-mate at the club is not misplaced.

“I still believe Michael will stay to be honest,” said Butt, who has himself just signed up for another year at Newcastle.

“He’s obviously out of contract, so there’s virtually nothing to stop him from leaving, but it’s not like he’s going about saying: ‘I want to go here, I want to go there.

“He’s happy here, he’s committed to Newcastle and he might shock people. Maybe he might stay here.

“I just feel he’s at the club and he’s not unhappy. When players want to leave you can tell straight away.

“Shay (Given) got to the point where it was time for him to leave — it was right for him. That’s the good thing . . . you don’t see that with Michael.”

Owen’s publicly declared decision to put all talks over his future on hold until the end of the season was widely interpreted as further proof that he wanted out of United.

However, Butt added: “When negotiations break down, everyone fears the worst. Everyone thinks: ‘That’s it, he’s gone.’

“But sometimes it’s a case of putting things to one side and getting the football out the way.

“Hopefully that’s the case in this situation.”

Who would want to stay here anymore? we're not the great club we used to be :lol:

MICHAEL OWEN will stay at Newcastle this summer — according to his closest friend at St James’s Park.

While many assume Owen will move on when his contract expires in June, Nicky Butt believes United’s skipper is ready to sign a new deal and remain in Toon.

It is the first time anyone close to Owen has hinted that his long-term future may lie on Tyneside, with Manchester City mooted as his likeliest destination.

However, Butt insists his optimism about keeping his long-time England team-mate at the club is not misplaced.

“I still believe Michael will stay to be honest,” said Butt, who has himself just signed up for another year at Newcastle.

“He’s obviously out of contract, so there’s virtually nothing to stop him from leaving, but it’s not like he’s going about saying: ‘I want to go here, I want to go there.

“He’s happy here, he’s committed to Newcastle and he might shock people. Maybe he might stay here.

“I just feel he’s at the club and he’s not unhappy. When players want to leave you can tell straight away.

“Shay (Given) got to the point where it was time for him to leave — it was right for him. That’s the good thing . . . you don’t see that with Michael.”

Owen’s publicly declared decision to put all talks over his future on hold until the end of the season was widely interpreted as further proof that he wanted out of United.

However, Butt added: “When negotiations break down, everyone fears the worst. Everyone thinks: ‘That’s it, he’s gone.’

“But sometimes it’s a case of putting things to one side and getting the football out the way.

“Hopefully that’s the case in this situation.”

Who would want to stay here anymore? we're not the great club we used to be :lol:

I think they are offering him 70k a week on a 3 year deal. It's upto him now.

Guest Stevie
Man City would be the only club willing to offer to match your crazy wages.

I feel for him really.

Fuck off you total mickey mouse club supporting mug.

It's got to the stage I think (and I'd guess many would agree) where him staying or going isn't particularly positive or negative either way.

[He] might shock people. Maybe he might stay here.

All journalists are cunts.

Owen seems the sort of bloke where even if you were his best mate, you wouldn't have a clue what he was thinking, particularly in relation to his profession.

He's probably thinking about horses most of the time.

_41218479_owendefeat.jpg