Things you never see at SJP anymore

Craig

1. A bouncing surge on the gallowgate terrace during a rendition of 'The Blaydon Races'

2. A beach ball being tossed around the crowd

3. Two lasses walking around the cinder track accompanied by wolf-whistles

4. A scoreboard - commonly breaking down with 'remaining minutes' reducing to 00 despite only having played 10 minutes.

5. The flag being passed around

6. The local press photographers waiting by the halfway line until they work out which the teams will be playing towards before promptly legging it to the end that Newcastle are attacking

7. The same photographers pegging it the length of the touchline, complete with kit when Newcastle conceed a penalty

8. Feet stamping in the old West Stand

9. A bunch of blokes using the corner flags to unpick the nets off the goalposts as soon as the final whistle went.

10. Steam coming from the Gallowgate end - a sure sign that someone hadn't been arsed to go to the bogs

11. Burning season tickets / scarves / shirts like when relegation was confirmed in 1989

12. The portakabins

13. The local majorettes - i swear that lass was going to have someone's eye out with that baton one day

14. Benfield Motors driving a shabby Cavalier along to the tunnel from the Leazes West corner before the match as some promotional stunt.

15. "Mick Quinn(*) drives for Benfield Motors" on the scoreboard (* - different player every week!)

16. Santa is a Geordie doing a run around the Milburn stand in the last home game before Christmas.

17. Old Stevie

18. The deafening sustained roar as the match is about to kick off

19. The massive crest in the middle of the pitch (those who were low down at the touchlines during the late 80s / early 90s will know exactly what I mean!)

I bet that's made a few of you chuckle... Keep them coming - i'm sure there's more

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie
1. A bouncing surge on the gallowgate terrace during a rendition of 'The Blaydon Races'

4. A scoreboard - commonly breaking down with 'remaining minutes' reducing to 00 despite only having played 10 minutes.

6. The local press photographers waiting by the halfway line until they work out which the teams will be playing towards before promptly legging it to the end that Newcastle are attacking

7. The same photographers pegging it the length of the touchline, complete with kit when Newcastle conceed a penalty

9. A bunch of blokes using the corner flags to unpick the nets off the goalposts as soon as the final whistle went.

10. Steam coming from the Gallowgate end - a sure sign that someone hadn't been arsed to go to the bogs

11. Burning season tickets / scarves / shirts like when relegation was confirmed in 1989

12. The portakabins

13. The local majorettes - i swear that lass was going to have someone's eye out with that baton one day

14. Benfield Motors driving a shabby Cavalier along to the tunnel from the Leazes West corner before the match as some promotional stunt.

15. "Mick Quinn(*) drives for Benfield Motors" on the scoreboard (* - different player every week!)

16. Santa is a Geordie doing a run around the Milburn stand in the last home game before Christmas.

17. Old Stevie

19. The massive crest in the middle of the pitch (those who were low down at the touchlines during the late 80s / early 90s will know exactly what I mean!)

I bet that's made a few of you chuckle... Keep them coming - i'm sure there's more

He's an absolute cunt that bloke, I know him personally

20. The bloke in the East Stand who used to make indian noises, mind I quite like those alarm noises the bloke in LL7 makes.

21. People sitting on the roofs of the student flats on Leazes Terrace watching the match when it was sold out

22. People jumping from the East Stand on to the boxes to retrieve the ball.

23. Airhorns

24. How man, hey man chants and pushing and shoving

25. Toon fans singing YNWA, a very welcome exclusion these days I must say. :icon_lol:

26. Munich songs, a variety of anti-Leeds songs

27. Keegan's Hot Dogs (with onion)

28. The Mag containing unsensored swearing, especially Walker Dan the cartoon character

12. The portakabins

17. Old Stevie

He's an absolute cunt that bloke, I know him personally

20. The bloke in the East Stand who used to make indian noises, mind I quite like those alarm noises the bloke in LL7 makes.

21. People sitting on the roofs of the student flats on Leazes Terrace watching the match when it was sold out

22. People jumping from the East Stand on to the boxes to retrieve the ball.

23. Airhorns

24. How man, hey man chants and pushing and shoving

25. Toon fans singing YNWA, a very welcome exclusion these days I must say. :icon_lol:

26. Munich songs, a variety of anti-Leeds songs

27. Keegan's Hot Dogs (with onion)

28. The Mag containing unsensored swearing, especially Walker Dan the cartoon character

I remember watching the match against West Ham on the telly (when we won 4-0) and hearing that for the first time.

Class that Craig. Good addition of Keegan's Hot Dogs too Stevie. The ball going into the bit behind the old Leazes End too.

I only got to go a couple of seasons before it was all seater. What stuck with me was the away fans hoyed in the pit between the gallowgate and East Stand. I think it was the K section where you could lord it over them and hurl abuse (and anything else you wanted).

You don't get wet at the match these days.

Nor do you get completeley rat arsed blokes turning their back to the game for long stretches (seemed like they'd miss entire halfs to me at the time but I'm sure they didn't), climbing on one of the crush barrier things and leading the entire Gallowgate for song after song, conducting with their arms waving all over. He'd be asked to sit down now :icon_lol:

Guest Stevie
I only got to go a couple of seasons before it was all seater. What stuck with me was the away fans hoyed in the pit between the gallowgate and East Stand. I think it was the K section where you could lord it over them and hurl abuse (and anything else you wanted).

:icon_lol:

Here we go Here we go Here we go Here we go This Is It!

Proper Alan Partridge Keys was like. Lovely corporate blazer.

Snowball fights between the corner and scoreboard

for that matter any kind of rivalry between sections of the ground, all of thats gone now, you dont get to feel part of a subgroup like back then, even now if someone says they used to stand in the Gallowgate my first question is Corner or scoreboard? the reply of Corner being met with a shake of the head and the quiet mutterings of "wanker" :icon_lol:

Guest Stevie

for that matter any kind of rivalry between sections of the ground, all of thats gone now, you dont get to feel part of a subgroup like back then, even now if someone says they used to stand in the Gallowgate my first question is Corner or scoreboard? the reply of Corner being met with a shake of the head and the quiet mutterings of "wanker" :icon_lol:

The Cooooooooorner, The Corner, The Corner. Why's the scoreboard full o shit?????????

Don't forget the posh wannabe ghets who stood in the centre-west... :icon_lol:

Guest Stevie

Me and my mates, baring in mind we were little more than bairns used to call that the soft end.

Me and my mates, baring in mind we were little more than bairns used to call that the soft end.

They were quiet as fuck in there too. Chants of "sing in the corner" or "sing in the scoreboard" was always met with deafening noise. "Sing in the centre-west" was always met with a muffled noise.

Of all the standing areas in the ground (I stood in them all at one point or another, I always preferred the Leazes paddocks. The amount of shit handed out to the away lot in the west Leazes section was immense.

The match when we played Spurs (when Gazza scored both goals) there was a meat pie artillery assault on that section - the bloke selling meat pies must have thought it was his lucky day! Happy memories :icon_lol:

I still think anyone from the east stand is a twat if that's any good to you. :icon_lol: