my article on racism

mcfad

was a while back for a liverpool newspaper

If you saw a gang of lads racially abusing someone in the street, would you turn a blind eye? Would you expect others to? Thought not, so what is so different about a football match?

Racism is a big factor in football, but not many people realise it, they are ignorant and refuse to believe that it is a big deal.

Racism in football is the main issue here. Did you know that Viv Anderson, John Barnes and Luther Blissett, were part of the handful of black players that played English football professionally, whilst suffering terrible racial discrimination at the same time? Nowadays there are more black players than there are white in some football teams - but that does not stop the abuse that they get. Do you know how many black managers there were going back a couple of years? Two. Keith Alexzander, at Lincoln City, and Carlton Palmer at Stockport, but how many white ones are there?

Racism suffered by black players before the 1990’s was seen as normal, it was almost made as acceptable! Black players seemed to become more rightly accepted in the early 1990’s, it seems that we have a lot to thank black players for because they took an awful lot of abuse from fans up and down the country, and all they ever wanted to do was play a game of football and help their team out, they got so much grief over it, all just because of their skin colour.

Although big name stars like Thierry Henry, Keiron Dyer and Rio Ferdinand are all black they still face racial remarks, whilst playing for their team. They even get missiles thrown at them, in a stadium with 50,000 people in it! Surely someone must see it happening, and when they do, do they turn a blind eye? These people are as bad as the racists themselves.

But we can not tar everyone with the same brush, not all football fans are hooligans, I'm not. Only a small minority are. It is not just fans that are racist, even some players have been accused of it too, take Woodgate and Bowyer. They tainted the reputation of English football when they went on trial for beating up Sarfraz Najeib, even though only one of them was found guilty of punching him. If fans are banned from stadiums and are not allowed to attend matches for violence, hooliganism and racism, then so should the players. It should be the same rule applies for everyone, surely players shouldn’t even be allowed to play for their country anymore, but most importantly would you want them to?

Liverpool and Everton could become pioneers in getting racism out of football - take the likes of Tim Cahill and Steven Gerrard, the two young, famous players of the city idolised by plenty of children. If they fronted a new campaign their actions could help educate the next generation and inform them about different cultures, and racial equality.

Footballs main Racism campaign is ‘Lets kick it out’. They aim to challenge racism and rid it from every aspect of the game. The campaign was started in 1993 and has the backing of the Premiership’s governing bodies. Many famous players have been the face of the newly launched campaign, even local players such as Everton’s Chinese international, Li Tie.

Everton fan Tanvir Akram knows all too well about racism.

“When I was young I witnessed racist abuse at the Baseball ground, when one of my friends was hit over the head, and had his head cracked open, he was only 11 and the other lads where 16/17” Tanvir told me that he was too uncomfortable to travel to Liverpool to see his beloved Everton play, for fear of Racial abuse. “There is still that fear, the uncomfortable feeling that something might happen...But one day I will fulfil my dream and travel to Goodison, hopefully”

Should people have to worry so much when all they want to do is watch their football team? Racial abuse is terrifying people, and it should be stopped.

All players should be treated fairly, because everyone has the same rights as each other, and that means on and off the football pitch.

It is not just fans that are racist, even some players have been accused of it too, take Woodgate and Bowyer. They tainted the reputation of English football when they went on trial for beating up Sarfraz Najeib, even though only one of them was found guilty of punching him.

49427[/snapback]

I'm afraid the piece quoted from your article flies in the face of your argument. Woodgate and Bowyer were shamed because the lad in question was Asian- or shamed because they were involved in a street punch-up? I'd have thought the latter surely.

Plus the fact the first sentence doesn't mean anything- anyone can be accused of anything by anyone. All that matters is what has been proven in a court of law. In that incident, no-one was found guilty of any racially motivated offence, but some were charged with what is basically a street fight (and the guy given the severest sentence in that incident you fail to mention entirely).

Edited by Matt

If you saw a gang of lads racially abusing someone in the street, would you turn a blind eye? Would you expect others to? Thought not, so what is so different about a football match?

I didn't read much further than that but I'm going to guess that the whole premise of the article is flawed based on that. Most people would turn a blind eye.

It is not just fans that are racist, even some players have been accused of it too, take Woodgate and Bowyer. They tainted the reputation of English football when they went on trial for beating up Sarfraz Najeib, even though only one of them was found guilty of punching him.

49427[/snapback]

I'm afraid the piece quoted from your article flies in the face of your argument. Woodgate and Bowyer were shamed because the lad in question was Asian- or shamed because they were involved in a street punch-up? I'd have thought the latter surely.

Plus the fact the first sentence doesn't mean anything- anyone can be accused of anything by anyone. All that matters is what has been proven in a court of law. In that incident, no-one was found guilty of any racially motivated offence, but some were charged with what is basically a street fight (and the guy given the severest sentence in that incident you fail to mention entirely).

49449[/snapback]

Excellent post.