Drugs - Time to legalise - The Economist

Rob W

This week have a special on drugs - reckon that after 100 years of trying to stop drugs the all round cost to societies are higerh than they would be if it was all legalised :superman2sa2::lol:B)

Edited by Rob W

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck yes.

Good lord, I've been hoping for that for years now. It's not like anything would really change much- you couldn't come to work high just like you can't come to work drunk, can't drive high like you can't drive drunk, etc. Plus, it'd be a great way to pay for some of the deficit my country has run up. Tax it like it's booze or smokes and call it a day.

Theres no common sense in legalising drugs. Alcohol is legal and thats the biggest problem drug in the country

Bizarre logic. Prohibition of alcohol would be better then? And alcohol, like any other drug, has a unique set of problems, issues and so on.

Theres no common sense in legalising drugs. Alcohol is legal and thats the biggest problem drug in the country

The fact drugs are illegal isn't a good enough deterrent in itself - people still take them regardless. In some cases the criminalisation of certain drugs has made the situation worse - just look at the statisitics regarding heroin.

Legalising them would at least take the money spent on them out of the hands of criminals.

The fact drugs are illegal isn't a good enough deterrent in itself - people still take them regardless. In some cases the criminalisation of certain drugs has made the situation worse - just look at the statisitics regarding heroin.

Legalising them would at least take the money spent on them out of the hands of criminals.

nail on head.

we should grow up but it'll never happen.

Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit... unnatural? You know what I mean? It's nature. How do you make nature against the fucking law?

Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit... unnatural? You know what I mean? It's nature. How do you make nature against the fucking law?

Well in the last couple of years there is evidence it can do serious psychological damage (or at least unlock it), but prior to that there was not much case.

Opiated drivers would be fun though. :superman2sa2:

Dozens of things can do psychological damage. You going to ban girlfriends, booze, work, yourself from this forum?

Wasn't the survey specifically referring to young people anyway? Responsible education and awareness are the adult approach. People will always seek some sort of hedonism/escapism. You can't control that.

Incidentally plants and fungi that can kill you outright are not illegal. Why not?

Edited by trophyshy

Dozens of things can do psychological damage. You going to ban girlfriends, booze, work, yourself from this forum?

Wasn't the survey specifically referring to young people anyway? Responsible education and awareness are the adult approach. People will always seek some sort of hedonism/escapism. You can't control that.

It actually physically increases your risk of schizophrenia and psychotic symptoms, it doesn't just make you a bit depressed or listen to Emo.

I think it should still be legalised, but its daft to ignore things like that.

Incidentally plants and fungi that can kill you outright are not illegal. Why not?

Killing someone or yourself with them does tend to be frowned on though.

Some piss poor excuses in the arguments for legalisation on here :superman2sa2: Lets legalise heroin cos it means drug dealers dont get the money!? What about the hundreds of thousands who would get addicted and still turn to crime to fund the habit? Drugs dont become less addictive if you make them more widely available.

As for alcohol, id raise the drinking age to 21 and charge £7 a pint. Bet that would half the police and hospitals work load overnight

What makes you think "hundreds of thousands" would take heroin?

There are thousands who have taken the decision to use pot and ecstacy without any bad effects and I presume its not fear of the law that stops them progressing to heroin.

In the past heroin and cocaine were used on a casual basis by the upper classes and the medical profession - it only became illegal when the peasants started using drugs - its all about control.

If drugs were legalised and controlled and I'd add prostitution (drug or slavery based) into the mix the workload of the police would be reduced a lot more than increasing the price of alcohol as you suggest.

Some piss poor excuses in the arguments for legalisation on here :superman2sa2: Lets legalise heroin cos it means drug dealers dont get the money!? What about the hundreds of thousands who would get addicted and still turn to crime to fund the habit? Drugs dont become less addictive if you make them more widely available.

As for alcohol, id raise the drinking age to 21 and charge £7 a pint. Bet that would half the police and hospitals work load overnight

I never made an argument for blanket legalistion, or indeed said what conditions would need to be included if everything was legalised or if certain drugs were etc. Typical of you to build a straw man after a ridiculous opinionated opening gambit though.

It actually physically increases your risk of schizophrenia and psychotic symptoms, it doesn't just make you a bit depressed or listen to Emo.

I think it should still be legalised, but its daft to ignore things like that.

Killing someone or yourself with them does tend to be frowned on though.

Have you ever done drugs?

I never made an argument for blanket legalistion, or indeed said what conditions would need to be included if everything was legalised or if certain drugs were etc. Typical of you to build a straw man after a ridiculous opinionated opening gambit though.

Im not even getting into it. Drugs are for cunts and theres not a cat in hells chance they will be legalised. I get enough enjoyment out of my life and feel im interesting enough as a person to get by without mood/mind altering drugs. Ive seen first hand working in A&E and in Mental Health services how life destroying drugs can be. It is very possible to take certain drugs once and develop psychosis that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

I'd have no problem with the legalisation (and subsequent taxation) of Marijuana.

I don't think it's black and white at all, but I clearly keeping the substances illegal isn't exactly dealing with the problem either.

For what it's worth, I feel there's a huge difference between the legalisation of Marijuana and the legalisation of cocaine, heroine etc.

"Drugs are for cunts?" then throw out the majority of music and film, J69... either that or grow up?

Im not even getting into it. Drugs are for cunts and theres not a cat in hells chance they will be legalised. I get enough enjoyment out of my life and feel im interesting enough as a person to get by without mood/mind altering drugs. Ive seen first hand working in A&E and in Mental Health services how life destroying drugs can be. It is very possible to take certain drugs once and develop psychosis that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

:lol: Fuck off man. I suppose seeing all that you will know how many people do drugs and be able to apply your experience to at least questioning whether or not current legislation does more harm than good. I already know how great you want me to think your life is btw.

Legalisation and taxation probably wouldnt work cos it would be a nightmare to legislate and any street dealer will be able to undercut the legal rrp.

Legalisation and taxation probably wouldnt work cos it would be a nightmare to legislate and any street dealer will be able to undercut the legal rrp.

Don't you think that if this was the full picture people wouldn't buy cigarettes from newsagents they'd just get them from illegal street vendors.