Drugs - Time to legalise - The Economist

Rob W

There are of course comparisons to be drawn but from a practical and political perspective there's a big difference in banning a currently existing activity and legalising one that is already outlawed.

Politically motivated decisions not to do it disgust me. They sacked that David Nutt for giving them the information they hired him to provide. Absolute cunts.

Practically, it'd have to be a gradual process and it'd still obviously need to be controlled and more money put into educating folk. Educating does work btw, the proof being the recent statistics that said kids/teens are drinking and smoking less than 20 years ago.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Educating does work btw, the proof being the recent statistics that said kids/teens are drinking and smoking less than 20 years ago.

I'm not sure that can be put down to education, raising the age you can buy fags to 18 and schemes like Challenge 25 have played a big part in it.

I'm not sure that can be put down to education, raising the age you can buy fags to 18 and schemes like Challenge 25 have played a big part in it.

America has seen the same trend too, whether they have similar schemes I don't know. Kids that want to drink and smoke find a way though, I know I did.

Gloomy, for me it's in the public's interest to keep certain drugs illegal. It's less about the effect the drug has on the user and more about the fall-out. I don't believe legalising Heroin, say, would stop addicts committing crime it get their hands on it. I don't believe simplifying access to it would diminish the negative aspects of the drug.

I'm all for the legalisation of weed, I can't say the same for coke or crack or meth or heroin though. For me it's not about stopping you doing something, it's about managing and reducing the effect your drug abuse has on others.

I believe I'm individual freedom and responsibility. If you try something and it doesn't work for you, don't fucking do it. I had a terrible experience in mushrooms, decided it wasn't for me, never did it again.

Some people are incapable of making good decisions regarding drugs. Putting them away in prison doesn't necessarily help on that score.

Not a very apt comparison though, is it? I mean, how many magic mushroom addicts are there kicking about? It's probably about the least harmful substance out there with little or no physical dependence issues so even if you'd loved it I don't think you'd have turned into a 10 a day man.

Mushroom_Man.jpg

"Yeah, it just started off pretty casual, like, you know, a few with my steak, some in a sausage sarnie, nothing too much, I thought I could handle it but then it just kinda takes over, next thing you now I was OD'ing on 'Shrooms left right and centre, I was sprouting funghi from the top of my bonce. I think the moment I knew things were spiralling out of control was when it went really hardcore and I microwaved the mushrooms. I opened the microwave door just as one exploded in my face and I knew I'd hit rock bottom, I mean what kind of Harry Ramp would microwave mushrooms? Who would plunge those type of depths? It was the turning point for me and I chucked it there and then.

Never thought things were that bad, Gloomy. Thanks for sharing. :good:

Gloomy, for me it's in the public's interest to keep certain drugs illegal. It's less about the effect the drug has on the user and more about the fall-out. I don't believe legalising Heroin, say, would stop addicts committing crime it get their hands on it. I don't believe simplifying access to it would diminish the negative aspects of the drug.

I'm all for the legalisation of weed, I can't say the same for coke or crack or meth or heroin though. For me it's not about stopping you doing something, it's about managing and reducing the effect your drug abuse has on others.

i don't suppose there was much peer pressure to experiment when you spent your teenage years down games workshop and forbidden planet :razz:

only someone in an extremely dark place - the pits of addiction fuelled self-loathing, would sink as low as to microwave mushrooms

Sounds familiar.......Does it rhyme with 'Holding'?

i don't suppose there was much peer pressure to experiment when you spent your teenage years down games workshop and forbidden planet :razz:

I saved up most of my dalliances with drugs for Uni, a good decade after I stopped painting miniatures. If you think Xmen is weird, try reading Transmetropolitan when you're baked :lol:

My memory may be failing me here but don't you have experience of addiction problems? It isn't as easy as saying throw the criminals in jail.

Your memory is not failing you. The only one I've personally never beaten is alcohol (and I guess my ecig :razz:). My family is also a joke where addiction is concerned. That personal experience of destruction doesn't change how I feel people should be allowed to behave.

Aside from my personal libertarian ideals, I also think society would benefit hugely by a change in drug policy. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution by any means, just that it's better than the status quo. I'm hardly some lunatic fringe when the Economist is along the same lines of thinking.

The drug war causes so much misery and puts a lot of nasty fuckers in positions of power, that would implode (I'm guessing not in a pretty way).

I also don't want to just 'throw criminals in jail,' but that's a whole other conversation.

MDMA!!!! whoever recommended that ffs :lol:

Is there not a nice simple safe something that gives you the same effect as a bottle or red?

Yes!

It's called...

....wait for it...

...I said wait for it...

....a bottle of white.

GIVE WHAT A GO FFS :lol:

Which one meets my requirements??????

MDMA, it is safe and will liven up even the the dullest of dinner parties Boldon has to offer

Honestly, CT, the way I I look it at drugs, is it's about life experiences. I'm glad I tried MDMA. Had some of the best nights in my life on the stuff. I'll go months or years in between nights on pills these days but never say never.