Bob Dylan

Kid Dynamite

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Neil Young, I'm reminded of the guitar solo on a version of "You Are Like A Hurricane", which I've heard a couple of times recently on the radio. It has to be the worst solo I've ever heard, not only because it's terrible, tuneless and interminable but because it ruins what would otherwise be a classic song. Not sure if this is just a live version, or the studio version, but it's bloody awful. And I like his stuff generally though, especially After the Goldrush.

His best solo was on 'Southern Man' but he was never much for lead guitar.

Regarding Neil Young, I'm reminded of the guitar solo on a version of "You Are Like A Hurricane", which I've heard a couple of times recently on the radio. It has to be the worst solo I've ever heard, not only because it's terrible, tuneless and interminable but because it ruins what would otherwise be a classic song. Not sure if this is just a live version, or the studio version, but it's bloody awful. And I like his stuff generally though, especially After the Goldrush.

His best solo was on 'Southern Man' but he was never much for lead guitar.

It's plainly his solo. If it was anyone else, they'd have turned his amp off after two minutes of butchering the song.

Neil Young did some really good stuff but also a lot of shite.

For me :-

After the gold rush*

Zuma

Harvest

is the best of his work.

*Particularly

Agreed. Even though he is well before my time, I still enjoy that album (mainly because my mum is a big fan)

I would say these lads are in the same vein as the previously mentioned artists, either way their album ''What the toll tells'' is class so I would advise any folk/pop fans to check it out.

Also Willy Mason might be worth a shot.

Ah-ha, now we're talking. If you like Willy Mason, then it is well worth checking out Elliott Smith, Nick Drake, and maybe even Sufjan Stevens. Even though the latter is a raving Christian, his songs are still great...

(Psst - If drug references aren't your thing, then don't even get started on Elliott Smith :baby: )

Edited by Revolver

All time hero.

Visited his exhibition in Edinburgh over the weekend just gone...he can't draw like. Shite at perspective :baby:

Touring the UK in spring...

Fri 24 Apr Sheffield

Sat 25 Apr London

Tue 28 Apr Cardiff

Wed 29 Apr Birmingham

Fri 1 May Liverpool

Sat 2 May Glasgow

Sun 3 May Edinburgh

For what it's worth, a friend of mine is a huge Dylan fan. Has been for at least 15 years (he's about my age so we're both too young to have caught him new). His wife bought tickets to Dylan this past May (I think- somewhere around start of last summer). He said it was the worst show he'd ever seen. Said Dylan only played for an hour and even the classics had been completely rearranged into re-imagined versions of the originals. My friend was terribly disappointed.

Again, take it for what it's worth.

All time hero.

Visited his exhibition in Edinburgh over the weekend just gone...he can't draw like. Shite at perspective :baby:

Touring the UK in spring...

Fri 24 Apr Sheffield

Sat 25 Apr London

Tue 28 Apr Cardiff

Wed 29 Apr Birmingham

Fri 1 May Liverpool

Sat 2 May Glasgow

Sun 3 May Edinburgh

For what it's worth, a friend of mine is a huge Dylan fan. Has been for at least 15 years (he's about my age so we're both too young to have caught him new). His wife bought tickets to Dylan this past May (I think- somewhere around start of last summer). He said it was the worst show he'd ever seen. Said Dylan only played for an hour and even the classics had been completely rearranged into re-imagined versions of the originals. My friend was terribly disappointed.

Again, take it for what it's worth.

If you're going to see Dylan, you shouldn't excpect to recognise a classic track by anything but the lyrics. He changes them from top to bottom in all his gigs. Wouldn't you after playing them for 40 years? That's why his bootlegs are so popular. Dylanophiles have to get hold of all versions.

Sometimes the live version is no good. A lot of the time they're better than the album.

He slowed Nettie Moore down to what seemed like half the tempo at the Arena last time and it was incredible.

I've seen him 4 or 5 times and only been really happpy twice. One time we turned up at half 7 and he'd already done 20 minutes. The old codger must have wanted his bed.

• 1 month later...
You should check out some of the early Leonard Cohen if you dig Dylan. Seems like every Dylan fan I know (I mean real Dylan fans- not people like me who are sort of, "Yeah, he's aiight.") also digs Leonard Cohen.

Death of a Ladies Man and Songs from a Room are both pretty good in my opinion.

5396450_Leonard-Cohen--Live-in-Lon.jpg

Out this week

"OAP releases best live album ever" according to Hot Press.

Bob Dylan has topped the UK album chart for the seventh time in his career, nearly 40 years since his last number one LP.

Together Through Life is the folk music legend's 33rd studio album, according to the Official Charts Company.

He last topped the UK chart with New Morning in 1970. His first, in 1964, was The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.

Dylan now holds a record, previously held by Tom Jones, for the longest gap between solo number one albums.

Jones' 1999 comeback, Reload, topped the UK chart more than 31 years after Delilah reached the top in 1968.

Together Through Life was recorded late last year and is Dylan's first studio album since 2006 and is his 53rd album, including compilations and soundtracks.

The album chart's other highest new entry was The Enemy's second album, Music For The People, which went straight in at number two.

That is one place down from their 2007 album We'll Live and Die in These Towns.

The Fame, the debut album by New Yorker Lady Gaga, fell two places to number three.

In the singles chart, Tinchy Stryder's Number 1 claims the top spot for the second week running.

Newcomer La Roux remains at number two with In For The Kill and the highest new entry was Tiny Dancer (Hold Me Closer), a collaboration between UK hip-hop artists Ironik and Chipmunk and Sir Elton John, which went in at number three.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8031636.stm

:)

Nice one Bob. I'll be gutted when he dies and everyone else starts wearing Dylan T-Shirts and that ;)

• 2 years later...
The fact he lives in a huge fuck off mansion these days sort of defeats his musical objective for me like.

This is why I have sympathy for the bloke: his fans are morons. They expect him to live like Ghandi and only write songs about civil rights. :D

His fans...or Brock?

My parents saw him the other week at Sheffield, and a friend of mine at the 02 the following day. Was very good on both nights apparently.

Rob - crap singer? :D

crap singer