Probably for Rob W and similar age

bobbyshinton

The popular side where and what were the turnstiles / entrances like. Please knackers (not you Rob) do not post a picture of a turnstile. Just I can remember going in all parts of the ground but that. Remember climbing the trees outside. :baby:

Rob won't be able to help you Berb... wrong side of the ground mate.

Found this snap of him parking up over on Barrack Road... :baby:

sjpin1930.jpg

My Auntie Mary and Uncle Jimmy used to always stand in the Popular Side. Only photos I can recall seeing of it were from inside the ground though.

My Auntie Mary and Uncle Jimmy used to always stand in the Popular Side. Only photos I can recall seeing of it were from inside the ground though.

Aye thats it for me. Just cannot remember going in but can remember being i there.

I'm guessing the turnstiles for the popular side were similar in style to how the Gallowgate end was before they demolished it.

I might be wrong but as you used to walk up the cobbled street from the Strawberry (forget the name of it), wasn't the wall on your left hand side before you reach the east stand contain remnants of the old turnstiles? Surely just a continuation of that?

Sounds about right Craig. Have you tried searching for old photos of Leazes Terrace btw Berb?

No why should I?

I asked the question it is up to your lot to answer it. :)

:D I assumed you'd searched for pictures of the old Popular Side and couldn't find any. Leazes Terrace would have been a logical next step. This is what you get for trying to help people, is it? :baby:

Only went in there twice, my first ever game in 1969 and a game v Coventry 1970, have no recollection of the turnstyles at all I'm afraid. I was always a Gallowgater when I was a bairn.

Edited by Toonpack

Some more old pics - still don't help you I'm afraid Shints....

Newc1.gif

Newc2.gif

That second one is how I remembered the place when I first started going to matches.

Some more old pics - still don't help you I'm afraid Shints....

Newc1.gif

Newc2.gif

That second one is how I remembered the place when I first started going to matches.

Cheers Craig I appreciate the effort.

:baby:

Sounds about right Craig. Have you tried searching for old photos of Leazes Terrace btw Berb?

No why should I?

I asked the question it is up to your lot to answer it. :baby:

if memory serves me, they were the same as at the gallowgate end pre redevelopment. holes in the brickwork where a scruffy bloke took your money off you. the bogs were against the outside wall with a roof on. absolutely stunk. there was a cop shop tucked in the corner again against the outside wall and some people used to vault the wall and scramble in over the roof of the bog. in the late sixties early seventies there was a constrant steam of people being led arm up the back into the copshop. there was also a little hut selling bovril and the counter always seemed about three foot too high - or was i just little !

once inside you climbed up the steps to then come down again. the leazes turnstiles were mainly in the leazes west corner apart from one in the leazes east. you came in along the top and walked along a fairly narrow entrance until the terraces opened out. thus ends the memory for now !

davidcraig.th.jpg

popandpen.th.jpg

wynd.th.jpg

Sorry no turnstiles, pics from late 60's and 70's

David Craig and popular side on left just as building works began on new stand

Bryan "Pop" Robson and popular side on left and 10 minute flag top centre

Wyn Davies leazes end on left and popular side with trees in background.

Fucking hell Andy Thomas looks pissed off in that last one... :baby:

Anyone need reminding what the Gallowgate bogs were like?

0727_NEWCASTLE_UNITED.jpg

BTW Tom, the bloke stood next to the goalkeeper (Gary Kelly) in the second to last photo you posted is none other than John Anderson :baby:

Put some fucking shorts on lads :baby:

Those dressing rooms (the temporary portacabins) ended up at Heaton Stannington FC.

Really? Me fathers went there for years n years never mentioned that :D

Put some fucking shorts on lads :baby:

Those dressing rooms (the temporary portacabins) ended up at Heaton Stannington FC.

Really? Me fathers went there for years n years never mentioned that :D

Aye. They got them after the Milburn was completed and the Toon didn't need them any more. They've got a new club house and dressing rooms now anyway.

I'm guessing the turnstiles for the popular side were similar in style to how the Gallowgate end was before they demolished it.

I might be wrong but as you used to walk up the cobbled street from the Strawberry (forget the name of it), wasn't the wall on your left hand side before you reach the east stand contain remnants of the old turnstiles? Surely just a continuation of that?

partly right. There was a couple of turnstiles right at the bottom of the cobbled road, next to an old building which was the clubs offices. The main turnstiles, which most people used, were next to the Gallowgate turnstiles, opposite the strawberry, and seperated by railings when you got inside the turnstile.

You then walked up the ramp to the popular end.

partly right. There was a couple of turnstiles right at the bottom of the cobbled road, next to an old building which was the clubs offices. The main turnstiles, which most people used, were next to the Gallowgate turnstiles, opposite the strawberry, and seperated by railings when you got inside the turnstile.

You then walked up the ramp to the popular end.

That's how I remember it, and when you were a young'un you might crawl in underneath with your old fella, if you were lucky enough not to get caught.