What a n0b!

JaMoUsE

Cheshire Police have apologised to Premier League striker Victor Anichebe after officers challenged him as he looked in a jeweller's shop window.

The Everton player was window-shopping with a friend in Knutsford, Cheshire, when officers confronted the pair, eventually handcuffing his friend.

Police said they were acting after a spate of robberies but admitted it was a "less than proportionate reaction".

Mr Anichebe, 20, said the incident was "embarrassing and totally humiliating".

He said in a statement: "Whilst I do fully understand Cheshire Police's desire to tackle the problem of robberies on jewellery shops in the Knutsford area, I remain deeply upset and very angry about the treatment which was meted out to myself and a friend yesterday [Wednesday].

I asked the officers if they would have taken the action they did had I been white rather than black

Victor Anichebe

"It was not only totally ridiculous but also highly embarrassing and totally humiliating.

"Simply because we stood our ground and insisted that we had done absolutely nothing wrong, they decided to place my friend in handcuffs.

"I am currently having to use crutches to walk as I recently underwent surgery on a knee injury and - astonishingly - one of the officers even tried to grab the crutches in order to prevent me from 'escaping'."

He added: "After what seemed like an eternity the police officers seemed to realise that they had made a mistake, acknowledging that I was a footballer with a Premiership club and not someone who was preparing to commit a crime.

"At the time, I asked the officers if they would have taken the action they did had I been white rather than black."

the old race card, how fantastic

any reason why this was moved to newcastle from general forum ?

Edited by JaMoUsE

I bet they wouldnt though. The fact is a good majority of armed robberies are made by black men in his age group.

So race probably was an issue but police were right to charge him

I bet they wouldnt though. The fact is a good majority of armed robberies are made by black men in his age group.

Charge him with what?

tbf if it had been Shola looking in the window Id have lobbed a brick through myself to help the case. B)

B)

Charge him with what like?

Used to work with his sister btw, canny funny lass.

"Whilst I do fully understand Cheshire Police's desire to tackle the problem of robberies on jewellery shops in the Knutsford area, I remain deeply upset and very angry about the treatment which was meted out to myself and a friend yesterday *

*words: Striker's own

"Whilst I do fully understand Cheshire Police's desire to tackle the problem of robberies on jewellery shops in the Knutsford area, I remain deeply upset and very angry about the treatment which was meted out to myself and a friend yesterday *

*words: Striker's own

B)

He added: "After what seemed like an eternity the police officers seemed to realise that they had made a mistake, acknowledging that I was a footballer with a Premiership club and not someone who was preparing to commit a crime.

I find this part particularly bothersome. If they indeed had valid reason to suspect then they should forge ahead without regard for the fact he's footballer. If, on the other hand they didn't have any reason to suspect then what the hell are they doing picking these guys up in the first place?

I certainly hope that thanks to this exposure they'll be made more accountable to the public. I wonder how many undergo similar treatment everyday without having the advantage of being recognised as famous...? (It really gets me ruffled, as someone very close to me was accused wrongly of a terrible offense for which they suffered for over a year - that's how long the investigation took because it was "low priority". The stress almost killed them! And it was over 2.5 years before their name was finally fully cleared.)

????

They (the police) were probably right to approach them, but after that not really.

Mind you his and his friend big mistake was this:

"Simply because we stood our ground and insisted that we had done absolutely nothing wrong, they decided to place my friend in handcuffs.

I'm surprise they escaped with just a bit of manhandling and handcuffing.

Charge him with what?

tbf if it had been Shola looking in the window Id have lobbed a brick through myself to help the case. B)

I meant challenge not charge.

B)

Charge him with what like?

For being black and looking at shiny objects, a henious crime no doubt.

Charge him with what?

I meant challenge not charge.

Second bad experience in a few weeks he's had with 'challenges'

Image_1_for_Newcastle_United_vs_Everton_gallery_965339370.jpg

"Simply because we stood our ground..."

As usual, there's more to this than appears. Is is just me, or do folk banged up always protest they've done nowt wrong, yet upon closer inspection they have gone waaaaay over the top in their 'attitude' towards the polis?

No doubt plod has upset them, but I bet he and his friend haven't exactly been angelic in their dealings with the policemen's 'inquiries'.