World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

The list of confirmed bidders are set and the next step is for the countries to submit their bidding agreements by December.

So we've got:

UEFA: England, Belgium/Netherlands, Russia, Spain/Portugal

CONCACAF: USA, Mexico

AFC: Japan, Indonesia, Australia, South Korea, Qatar

'Cause of South Africa and Brazil, bid were not allowed from the South American and African confederations.

So, boys and girls, what are your picks?

As for what I think will happen:

By 2018, it'll have been 12 years since UEFA will have had the tournament, and Blatter and Platini will be frothing at the mouth to have it back in Europe. Plus, half of the countries are from UEFA. As such, I think it's a given that a European nation will get it.

Blatter has said he dislikes joint bids, but I still think that Spain/Portugal has a chance (Spain had it back in 1982).

That said, I think the other front runner is England. The only way that Russia will get it is if the Russian mafia get involved and threaten a few people (plus there's the money from Abromivich and the like).

But 2022 is a different story:

I think that FIFA has given up on ever really winning the hearts and minds of the USA public with the round ball. I think they realise that the future is Asia and its MASSIVE population ($$$$$$). The only thing CONCACAF has in its favour is that the AFC has hosted more recently than North America has (abet, the AFC has had it only once, while Mexico and the USA have had it once already).

Out of the Asian bids, both Japan and South Korea have had it recently, thought Japan may still have a chance.

Indonesia has a massive population that would get involved and would really enjoy it, but the place is lovely but a bit of a shambles (plus, there's a lot of terrorism).

Qatar has a mucho oil money in its favour, and I'm sure will do a lot of favours for the FIFA board members!! But it's a really small and REALLY hot place. I think they would have had more of a chance if they'd joint-bidded with the UAE or the such.

As such, I really do think that Australia has a great chance. We're a beautiful country with a proven history of pulling off big sporting events. At that time of the year, it'll be not too hot, but still the chance of great sunny weather. Plus, our govt. is getting behind it with a 45 million Aus$ bid.

The only thing against us is that Australia is still yet to really have made a name for itself on the football scene; but that's never held the USA, Japan or South Korea back, so why should it hold us back!!

My hopes;

2018: England

2022: Australia

australia-soccer-supporter.jpg

Guest Stevie

England will get the 2018 World Cup I don't think it's even an argument, it's long overdue as well, I'm not nationalistic, but England should get every fourth World Cup in my view, given the fact we made the game, it's a bigger business here than anywhere, we have the best infrastructure, and facilities.

England will get the 2018 World Cup I don't think it's even an argument, it's long overdue as well, I'm not nationalistic, but England should get every fourth World Cup in my view, given the fact we made the game, it's a bigger business here than anywhere, we have the best infrastructure, and facilities.

You clearly are nationalistic tbf.

Edited by alex

Guest Stevie
Hope it doesn't go to Australia tbh... the kick off times would be a nightmare for a start.

I think they'd accomodate the world proper. A 10pm kick off would be 1pm. Or a 745 would be 1045am I could live with that tbh.

i would like it to go to indonesia and england to either of them. the reason is i am english and can watch it at home, and the reason for indonesia is i have a uni friend from there and could stay with her and her boyfriend for the world cup but they will never get it.

I think it is good that countries that you would not expect to try and get the world cup to get it. I would like to see countries get it that have never had it before.

Didn't the 1994 World Cup generate more revenue (adjusted for inflation) than 1998, 2002 and 2006 despite having only 24 teams? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

And Mexico has had it twice.

Guest Stevie
I don't care as long as that woman posted in the first post is there and I find her.

She looks like she's got the wrong flag on. Ask her for a number 47 if you find her.

Yes Alex Colombia had a terrible earthquake and that fucked it. I think there'd have been kidnappings the works if it had've went ahead there.

Look at your sig man. :lol:

Guest Stevie
I thought your whole argument that you werent racist was based on the fact that you were nationalistic

Pride in history, way of life and heritage is different to nationalistic.

I don't care as long as that woman posted in the first post is there and I find her.

She looks like she's got the wrong flag on. Ask her for a number 47 if you find her.

She looks like Lana Lang from Smallville, thats why I want her. Want her bad. For sex. I want to have sex with her. In case you did not get that.

She looks like Lana Lang from Smallville, thats why I want her. Want her bad. For sex. I want to have sex with her. In case you did not get that.

And here's how you'd look together :lol:

_40999678_dudley2_300bbc.jpg

There's really no reason to consider the U.S. at this point. Our economy is fucked and likely will remain so for quite awhile, and as the OP mentions, football/ soccer will likely never catch on here until MLS gets more exposure via big name players. Also, Mexico has abosolutely no business hosting anything until they stop the literal war transpiring on their soil in the north.

England in 2018 is a great decision. Spain would be the only other one in the list I'd even consider.

As for 2022, Japan, Qatar, or Australia are the smart bets for notoriety. Japan would be shite though due to traffic and congestion. I'd like to see Australia get it, but Qatar is where the money is these days. Can't picture Indo or SoKo getting it over them.

Edited by Cid_MCDP

Yes Alex Colombia had a terrible earthquake and that fucked it. I think there'd have been kidnappings the works if it had've went ahead there.

It was Mexico that had the earthquake (although none of the stadiums were damaged iirc), Colombia just decided they couldn't pull it off because of a lack of finances.

• 1 year later...

I think Russia has the 2018 bid sorted, and Qatar (or USA) for 2022.

Sadly, I don't think Australia will get it, and the Mail on Sunday fucked it up for the Poms.

Australia would do a fucking awesome World Cup IMO. Did a cracking job of the Rugby WC in 2003, the Australian GP is considered by many to be the best organised each season and the 2000 Olympics was a massive success.

Hope we get 2018, not on the grounds of patriotism but because I think we have the most to offer of those applying. Do wonder if Triesman has fucked it all up though.. :o