World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

Penalty 'feints' banned ahead of World Cup....

how so? I know you cant stop your run up, youve got to keep moving, what have they added to the rule?

Always used to be banned in the good old days. Was only when one weak referee (i forget who) failed to ask for the kick to be re-taken that a prescedent had been set and the ruling became relaxed.

Hope Ronaldo forgets :o

The list of confirmed bidders are set and the next step is for the countries to submit their bidding agreements by December.

So we've got:

UEFA: England, Belgium/Netherlands, Russia, Spain/Portugal

CONCACAF: USA, Mexico

AFC: Japan, Indonesia, Australia, South Korea, Qatar

I hope for:

2018: England

2022: Australia

We will get:

2018: Spain/Portugal

2022: USA

Thats really fucking cool, but how could 5 stadiums of such massive scale be financially doable? I mean, fucking TV's? Come on

We're talking about Qatar here. Financially doable to the Western world is pocket change to them, especially when that money is spent on raising the profile of their country.

• 5 months later...
Fifa inspectors criticise England's 2018 World Cup bid

England's 2018 World Cup bid has been criticised by Fifa over training camps, hotel provision and government guarantees, the BBC has learned.

However, the world governing body's inspection report has graded England's bid as low risk, along with those of rivals Spain and Portugal, and Russia.

Spain and Portugal are also criticised in the report over the challenges posed by a joint bid.

Russia's transport links are also highlighted as a potential problem.

The Netherlands and Belgium, who are also jointly bidding to host the tournament, are the only bidders to be graded medium risk.

The inspection report will provide the basis on which Fifa executive committee members will decide who wins the bid on 2 December.

England face coming third behind Russia and the Spain/Portugal bid unless they can mount a dramatic fightback.

More to follow.

Tbf the press had a right to print what they did, I'd be more disappointed if they didn't expose the corruption in the voting system.

The Panorama show, however, is designed and timed to cause controversy and the broadcast should be delayed until after the vote.

Fifa bans Adamu & Temarii over corruption allegations

Adamu's executive committee seat is up for election in February

Fifa has suspended Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii from the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting vote after completing a corruption investigation.

Adamu was banned from football activity for three years and Temarii for one year over claims they asked for money in exchange for World Cup votes.

Meanwhile, bid candidates Qatar and Spain-Portugal were cleared of colluding to share votes.

The ballot will proceed on 2 December with 22 voters and nine candidates.

Good news for the England bid as it proves the story wasn't needless muckraking.

Fifa bans Adamu & Temarii over corruption allegations

Adamu's executive committee seat is up for election in February

Fifa has suspended Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii from the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting vote after completing a corruption investigation.

Adamu was banned from football activity for three years and Temarii for one year over claims they asked for money in exchange for World Cup votes.

Meanwhile, bid candidates Qatar and Spain-Portugal were cleared of colluding to share votes.

The ballot will proceed on 2 December with 22 voters and nine candidates.

Good news for the England bid as it proves the story wasn't needless muckraking.

Aye, not sure if FIFA will see it that way though.....

I had a look at the betting three weeks ago for this, we were 1/2 favourites, we're now behind Russia at 6/4. I'm sorry like but who the fuck wants to watch a World Cup in Russia? It'll be like it was in America with the vast distances between stadiums, the vast majority of which aren't even built.

It's very easy to get defensive about it, but forget about all of the politics, SURELY this is England's time to host the World Cup. We are culturally, league wise, worldwide appeal wise, an absolute Grade A footballing country. Germany had it twice in 32 years, Mexico had it twice in 16 years, we've not had it for 44 years, and it will be at least 60 years by 2026 if we don't win this bid. That is absolutely criminal. It's criminal that the politics involved surrounding this, the corruption, the beaurocracy is causing this bid to fail. It should be a no brainer that it's our World Cup. We have the best infrastructure, some of the best stadiums, we have everything in place to host this and the sad thing is our only hope of ever winning the fucking thing is if we had it at home.

Edited by WDP

Agree it's our turn like. Mexico is a bit of a red herring though because they helped Fifa out in '86 when Colombia decided they couldn't fulfil their promise to host it but for the country. Agree about Russia too, when I was watching the news last night I thought "It would be shit having it in Russia". Spain are in the running too and they had it in '82.

Agree it's our turn like. Mexico is a bit of a red herring though because they helped Fifa out in '86 when Colombia decided they couldn't fulfil their promise to host it but for the country. Agree about Russia too, when I was watching the news last night I thought "It would be shit having it in Russia". Spain are in the running too and they had it in '82.

Aye it would be mint in Spain though lets be honest. 5 weeks of Spain would be quality. Yes though it's our turn without doubt.

Aye it would be mint in Spain though lets be honest. 5 weeks of Spain would be quality. Yes though it's our turn without doubt.

Yeah, Spain/Portugal would be good like. I wouldn't mind them getting it in all honesty.