World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

lets face it - the only reason we want to win the Bid is that it guarantees us a place

and if we can manipulate the staging of the games like we did in 1966 (all at Wembley) we might even get out of the Group stage..................

it shoudl be us. i suspect it will be spain. they would do as good a job as us but they had it more recently so it should be us.

compare the way they played football in the last world cup with us and when you look at how unpopular we are around the world, i wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get it.

lets face it - the only reason we want to win the Bid is that it guarantees us a place

and if we can manipulate the staging of the games like we did in 1966 (all at Wembley) we might even get out of the Group stage..................

The hosts always 'manipulate' the venues they play at as it's all arrange by the draw (providing the hosts win their group etc.). And qualification hasn't been the problem of late, it's the tournament where we've failed to live up to expectations. Other than that you're spot on :lol:

since 1966 no-one has played ALL their matches at the same stadium

No doubt the FA will claim "contractual arrangements"

Rob when I was a kid there was a cartoon called Henry's Cat. You're probably too old to remember it, and part of the song went "he knows everything about nothing, and not too much about that..." and it reminds me of you.

The likes of Argentina, Mexico (twice) played all of their group games at the Monumental or the Azteca, and the route to the final only involved one game outwith* their home stadiums. Another flawed bit of what you've said is Spain, Italy, USA, Germany etc... are no way as capital centric as England is. London is a bigger part of the fabric of this country than any of these countries, and to be fair Wembley has never been that big an advantage, the atmosphere at Old Trafford or St James' would be more of an advantage than Wembley anyway imo.

Good points plus it was only a 16 team tournament in '66. I think you might well see England play a semi at Old Trafford (and all the other games at Wembley) were they to win the bid (and all their games of course). I think Italy had a similar route in 1990 (semi at Napoli but all the other games planned for the Stadio Olimpico).

I've just stuck a (free) bet on Spain/Portugal as the 3rd favourite. If the favourite Russia gets it it'll be car crash TV and if we get it I'll be happy, so might as well cover all the realistic options. :lol:

Total joke that Russia is even in contention for this tbh, one of their supposed plus points for being hosts would be they plan to build 13 new stadiums surely that's just more chance of something going wrong though and I doubt they'd better grounds like old trafford, st james' etc.

Plus it has to be us for the reasons Stevie said the fact it's been this long already since we last hosted is a disgrace let alone if they give it to Russia...

I would have loved to see the games played in some decaying post-Gaidar ruined shithole in Siberia, but sadly the Russian bid is centred round areas better known in the west. At least the Germans and the French could make plans for returning from Moscow alive and well.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to take me lunch break a 3 to watch this, for some reason there's been a massive swing in our favour with the bookies, and the BBC documentary hasn't done much damage. What a set of wanks the BBC are putting that out on Monday by the way, why not wait till next monday, thankfully there are a lot of noises it will have no impact. Some commentator said the likelyhood is it will be England v Spain/Portugal in the second round of voting and it could be as tight as 11's each with Blatter having the deciding vote. I really hope we get this like, the atmosphere around the country at Euro 96 was amazing, and like I said it's our turn now like.

For all their ridiculous timing, Panorama have a point - it's corrupt as fuck.

If the WC was awarded on suitability, we'd have been awarded it for a second time years ago. If we get it, it'll be 52 years since the last time we had it. Contrast that against the Germans who had it twice in 32 years and the Mexicans who had it twice in 26 (although they weren't supposed to host it in 86).

For all their ridiculous timing, Panorama have a point - it's corrupt as fuck.

If the WC was awarded on suitability, we'd have been awarded it for a second time years ago. If we get it, it'll be 52 years since the last time we had it. Contrast that against the Germans who had it twice in 32 years and the Mexicans who had it twice in 26 (although they weren't supposed to host it in 86).

Unforgivable imo, everyone knows it's corrupt as fuck and the point is it revealed absolutely nothing new regurgitating old allegations and insuations. The timing was unforgivable. Mexicans had it twice is 16 year shack. It's wor turn not one person can deny it. Not sure what the Brazilians will make of Wearside mind if they get drawn to play there.

Why exactly have Spain and Portugal been allowed to present a joint bid? I thought the point of joint bids were for smaller countries not capable of hosting it on their own? Spain is bound to have 10 grounds it could use for a bid and Portugal had ten grounds for Euro 2004, the fact that it's a joint bid gives them an unfair advantage.

Why exactly have Spain and Portugal been allowed to present a joint bid? I thought the point of joint bids were for smaller countries not capable of hosting it on their own? Spain is bound to have 10 grounds it could use for a bid and Portugal had ten grounds for Euro 2004, the fact that it's a joint bid gives them an unfair advantage.

Excellent point, like Euro 2000, and the Celtic Bid. Still I'd rather Spain got it than Russia.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if it went to Spain/Portugal. I've never been to a World Cup so i'd be tempted to go. It'd be a pretty good holiday.

Euro 96 had a lot of empty stadiums. I can remember I went to watch France v Bulgaira (or was it Romania) play at St Jimmys and it looked only half full. I suspect it might be different for the WC.

I'm probably going to go against the grain here, but there's almost something sickly having to fucking kowtow to a bunch of administrators who may well have their fingers in the pie and having to almost apologise for some investigative journalist shining a light on it. If everything was all above board then England would have a World Cup by now or would be nailed on to get this one, however, for all the 'disgrace' comments about panorama and the other media stories, what if it puts FIFA under unwelcome scrutiny where they might actually have to be seen to do the right and fair thing?

The best bid should win otherwise fuck 'em! It's not worth the appeasement and the silent condoning of corruption.

I'm probably going to go against the grain here, but there's almost something sickly having to fucking kowtow to a bunch of administrators who may well have their fingers in the pie and having to almost apologise for some investigative journalist shining a light on it. If everything was all above board then England would have a World Cup by now or would be nailed on to get this one, however, for all the 'disgrace' comments about panorama and the other media stories, what if it puts FIFA under unwelcome scrutiny where they might actually have to be seen to do the right and fair thing?

The best bid should win otherwise fuck 'em! It's not worth the appeasement and the silent condoning of corruption.

As I've said previously, I have no problem with the content of the Panorama episode, it was the timing of it that may have caused damage.

it's not just the silent condoning of corruption. it is the allowing fifa to take all the profits at a 0% tax rate, allowing them to bring in their own laws which over-ride our civil and criminal laws leading up to and for the duration fo the tournament. whole areas round stadiums will become fifa friendly corporate zones.

let spain portugal have it, that would be close enough to visit and without the hassle of having to bow down to sepp and his cronies. Jack Warner, what an odious man and yet our Prime Minister is currently sucking up to him.

putin always wants to be associated with winning, the fact he isn't going suggests he has doubts about Russia's chances.

Re: the timing, I agree. Not that I think it can happen but it would be quite funny if we got it and only ITV were allowed to cover it. Not that I'm a massive fan of ITV but there was no good reason, other than shit-stirring, to put that programme out on Monday. Especially when you consider how far back the allegations went.

Fifa are a fucking joke mind. How people Jack Warner and some dude from Vanuatu (not to mention Blatter himself) have so much say in the running of an organisation of that scale is beyond me.