World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

The one saving grace is not having to listen to Cameron basking in it if we had won.

I love that Putin didn't even bother showing though. He knew it was in the bag by then. He was probably stripped to the waist, chopping down trees whilst Cameron was tonguing Sepp's ringpiece.

;)

Fucks sake man, I'm just about to have my tea!

The one saving grace is not having to listen to Cameron basking in it if we had won.

I love that Putin didn't even bother showing though. He knew it was in the bag by then. He was probably stripped to the waist, chopping down trees whilst Cameron was tonguing Sepp's ringpiece.

;)

;)

The alphabet of nations!

Algeria, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Dominica, Egypt, France, The Gambia

Hungary, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Libya and Mongolia

Norway, Oman, Pakistan

Qatar, Russia, Suriname

Turkey, Uruguay, Vietnam

West Xylophone, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Another fucked up vote for "Dave".

If this is honestly about bringing football to nations who need a leg up, is it not going to eventually devalue the competition?

It seems to be more and more like the Euro Vision nonsense every time.

TAYLOR EXPECTS FALL-OUT FROM VOTE

Graham Taylor believes a perception of England as "arrogant" and "know-alls" ended their hopes of winning the 2018 World Cup but thinks their dismal showing in the voting could prompt investigations into the running of FIFA.

Former England manager Taylor was unsurprised by England's failure to secure the hosting rights for the competition, which instead went to Russia, but insists the haul of just two votes from 22 could see FIFA placed under new scrutiny.

England's bid was roundly commended for its technical quality and readiness to host an effective and profitable World Cup but aside from their own vote, delivered by former FA Chairman Geoff Thompson, they gained the support of just one more FIFA representative.

Taylor, speaking to Radio Five Live, said: "I ask the question 'what were we expecting?'. FIFA, for me, is full of people who say 'yes' to your face and 'no' behind your back. Their reputation has not changed for many years.

"We (England) have little or no influence; we are considered to be arrogant and know-alls and FIFA don't have to answer to anyone.

"I'm surprised that we're surprised. This has been going on for years and we've been aware of a lot of things going on around the back."

British media investigations into FIFA practices and the conduct of influential members have been cited as one of the reasons England fared so badly in the voting, but Taylor believes they could yet come into their own.

"I have a feeling, perhaps, that it might be time...that they really need looking into and investigating and our journalists are very good at that.

"How long has this been going on? How long have been questions been asked of FIFA and when have they answered them?

"You don't want take away from Russia or Qatar but it may be that this is the trigger for it to get looked into."

Wise words from old turnip head.

This is honestly ridiculous. Seriously, Russia a place with massive racism problems that plague their game, a huge country with poor infrastructure and they win it.

Then the cherry on the top of FIFAs corruption cake - Qatar! Seriously, WTF! 1.6million people is their population - why? Because it's in the middle of a friggen desert! They're the highest energy users per capita in the World because living in the middle of a desert makes no sense unless you're one of the mega rich few who's sitting on their vast natural resources. If it weren't for their oil and gas exports and the fortune that some Qatar'ies have made on the back of it (with no tax on income), that they won this bid. There is absolutely no two ways about it. Without those riches they would not be able to afford to build the ridiculous air-conditioned stadiums that will be required to allow players to play in relative comfort. Stadium's that will costs ridiculous amounts of money to build and that will server no purpose after the fact, so will be deconstructed and shipped off elsewhere. Surely this makes no sense when you compare it to playing in improved existing stadiums that will continue with functional use after the event, in climates where playing sport is actually possible. The whole of Qatar is built around indoor living, which begs the question what's the point of having it somewhere where you need to be constantly indoors in order to not be uncomfortable? How exactly are they planning on hosting the visitors? Surely they have limited guest accommodations (again because who takes a trip to Qatar for anything other than to extract money from their mega-rich in a business context?) that will need to be expanded vastly for the express purpose of the World Cup. Expansions that thereafter will be useless. ....And what about the women!

FIFA have a lot to answer for. They should have to come out publically and state which bid each of the voters supported, and put forward their exact reason$ for doing so.

Sorry if this has already been posted. Very informative and well written article. Really reinforces what an apparently diabolical decision Qatar in 2022 is.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/duncanw...of-fifas-greed/

How would you like a World Cup held in one city? How about if we make that city so hot it constitutes a health risk, say 50 degrees?

Right, what if we air-condition everything, heck have the whole competition indoors? Can we make sure it's an uncomfortable place for women, gays and Jews too please? No, problem, Fifa have delivered. Welcome to Qatar 2022.

You have to admire the chutzpah – not a word to use at immigration – of Qatar for even bidding for the thing. That they have won it is depressing. In their technical assessment, Qatar was deemed the highest risk. Then the Executive Committee voted for it.

Russia hosting a World Cup in 2018 is a risk. There are huge issues the country needs to tackle, the most serious of which are social rather than those of infrastructure. Qatar, though, does not really have a coherent society to restructure. The country has one city, Doha, which I visited this time last year when England played Brazil in friendly. It is fine if you've got money, a high boredom threshold and live in one of the steel and glass skyscrapers that rear out of the desert.

Less nice if you are one of the migrant workers from South Asia who live in grim conditions on the outskirts of town and are bussed in every day to build the things.

Of the 1.7 million people estimated to live in the country only 200,000 are native Qataris. The rest are expats and migrant workers. According to a UN refugee agency report from two years ago the Qatari government "does not fully comply with the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking and is not making significant efforts to do so."

Trying to get a beer after game? You need your passport to access one of the exclusive and extortionate hotel bars. You have to travel everywhere by taxi. Like all the Emirates, it is an ideal playground for those who like spending money and privacy. Oh and the football team? Qatar didn't get out of the group stages at the Gulf Cup.

There is no doubt Qatar will come through on the money, there is no doubt that they have had some impressive people pushing their cause. Bringing football to the Middle East is brave, of course, and there is no doubting the generous hospitality of the region (for some guests).

But this is not a new frontier like South Africa was. This is a small wealthy country, many of whose citizens can afford to go an watch a World Cup wherever it is held. The only thing that seemed to be in its favour – aside of course from vast wealth – was that the TV rights will be more lucrative near a European time zone.

In reality, Fifa has long put money ahead of football. Qatar 2022 marks the moment they stopped pretending otherwise.

I will add that I don't have a problem with it being held in an area which has never hosted such an event - but in that scenario, why did USA, South Korea, Australia, and Japan bother submitting a bid in the first place? Aside from the masses of money, what other reason could there possibly be for Qatar to get it? The same reasoning goes for Russia 2018 - Blatter clearly has some plan in mind to geographically spread the tournament out to new horizons as it were, which in theory isn't a terrible thing, but makes other countries bids seem redundant if the executive committee weren't going to vote for them regardless of how good (read; better) their bids were in comparison.

When their own technical report deems Qatar to be quite clearly the highest risk bidder, FIFA award it to them. Qatar, a country that has absolutely no footballing history, heritage, input, influence. A country that has done nothing for football. A country that paid a French man with Algerian parents to spearhead their campaign because they had no-one of their own to turn to. This isn't even a victory for the people of Qatar - three quarters of the country's population are ex-pats.

Oh well, never mind. There's always 2030 or 2038 for us. FFS.

It was also nice to know, through Al Jazeera mind, that Qatar had won the hosting rights an hour before the announcement was made official from that fat French cunt who dribbled on and on and on...

What was all this bollocks about the decision being delayed because the execs were still locked away going through the voting process?!?

And finally what I want to know is, how are Qatar going to fill their stadiums, and who the fuck, outside of the middle east, wants to go there and stay for a month. What is there to do and how do you cope with 50 fucking degree heat?

It was just on the news there saying they're going to build around 5 new cities for the world cup and it's half the size of wales then after the tournament the stadiums will be deconstructed and sent (sold) to African nations, wonder what will happen to the cities they've built round them probably ghost towns i reckon.

I've no problem whatsoever like you say of expanding where the game is but a country of 1.6m where there's no where to even play football except in one of these air conditioned stadiums they're having a laugh. I know it had a WC recently but if expanding the game was the real motive (which it's obviously not) it should have went to USA as it's beginning to pick up in interest over there lads are playing it to an older age whereas it used to just be played until they were deemed old enough to play american football the cable that my lass' parents have in their house has a mental amount of football channels the MLS is expanding I know the New York Cosmos are being reformed supposedly by 2013. I'd imagine a lot of the interest maybe comes from the fact you can get full scholarships to colleges now to play football there, I was shocked how much some lads knew about it (not as much as most lads over here but still decent) and I think having the 2022 world cup would have been a big deal.

sorry for the rambling just seems FIFA have fucked up a lot of good opportunities I mean I'm not sure what Oz is like maybe it's gaining a better following like in the USA and the 2022 WC would have converted more, the decision to not give us the 2018 was political I mean the fact we got 1 fucking vote besides out own shows that but this Qatar 2022 thing is a total shocker to me.

Will Andy Carroll be too old for Qatar 2022?...there must be lads in youth teams everywhere getting the factor gooosefat out as we speak. If you're at the peak of your career around then you're going to be well chuffed with the global stage for you to display your talents turning out to be a fuckin desert in the middle of nowhere with playing temperatures of around 40 degrees...and Blatter and his corrupt fuckin henchmen are likely to be dead by then ;)

I wonder what the Qatari national team will look like in 2022. They've clearly bought the World Cup, now will they attempt to buy the trophy as well?

If they don't then I hope Australia firstly qualify and then get drawn in the Qatar group.

Some of the knee-jerking going on in this thread is OTT. Russia was a stitch-up and to me the far more egregious problem. Qatar is an attempt to choose a new frontier for the game, to give something positive to a region where there are relatively few positives, and to show that FIFA are capable of progress. I don't doubt that money played a massive part, but ffs, it's 2010 and some on here are writing off a World Cup that won't happen for 12 years.

I think the Qatari WC will be a true spectacle. The country's administration clearly has ambition and they will spare no expense to make this a success. So much can change in 12 years in a country like Qatar. 12 years ago, it was a shadow of itself; 12 years before that it was a desert. Why don't we wait and see?

Some of the knee-jerking going on in this thread is OTT. Russia was a stitch-up and to me the far more egregious problem. Qatar is an attempt to choose a new frontier for the game, to give something positive to a region where there are relatively few positives, and to show that FIFA are capable of progress. I don't doubt that money played a massive part, but ffs, it's 2010 and some on here are writing off a World Cup that won't happen for 12 years.

I think the Qatari WC will be a true spectacle. The country's administration clearly has ambition and they will spare no expense to make this a success. So much can change in 12 years in a country like Qatar. 12 years ago, it was a shadow of itself; 12 years before that it was a desert. Why don't we wait and see?

I have no doubt at all that Qatar are up for it, I mean the facilities and technological applications that will be on offer are going to be second to none. Climate aside, what is a worry is their sporting culture. I'll be honest, I don't like it. Over the last couple of years with Australia competing in the Asian region in football and watching games which are played in Qatar, Bahrain, UAE and so on, it irritates me with how they carry on.

If you think the vuvuzelas were bad in South Africa, we've now got irritating, prayer-like chants on megaphones to look forward to during games, on top of the horns and drums which will reverberate through. It is bad enough hearing it from the telly, but imagine sitting through that inside the stadium.

And I do not enjoy watching Arab teams play football. The carry-on with feigning injuries and being stretchered off to gain tactical advantages during a game sickens me. And being a weaker Arab football team, having Qatar participating is a waste of a spot imo.

Yes, money does talk with FIFA.

Terrible choices. I might be a bit biased for the 2022 bid being an aussie but 2018 I was really looking forward to going to europe and watch the World cup. Yes I know russia is in europe but its a fucking shithole of a place. Not quite a 3rd world country but an unpleasant place to be nonetheless. As for the 2022 decision there was a lot of money flowing behind the scenes for Qatar to get it.

If I was in charge of the FA, I'd plough every penny that would have gone on hosting 2018 into youth development and coaching, would be some sort of revenge if England could win the thing.

Edited by TicTacWoe

It will no doubt be a spectacle because no expense will be spared, but that's hardly the point.

How exactly this will be good for the middle east as a whole is beyond me, because the hatred amongst countries in the middle east is essentially ingrained in their people from birth. No doubt the Qatari elite will use this as bragging rights over their neighbours. Seriously the facilities that would be required to foster Football participation that's accessable to all Qatari's is excessive. What's next? Antarctica? Why not? The Qatar World Cup will essentially be an indoors event so the actual venue is more or less irrelevant. Likewise it will be irrelevant to the non-elite Qatar and general middle eastern population who won't be able to afford to go to matches.

That's before you even consider the general feeling in Qatar towards women. I mean seriously, any Qatar women who wishes to work in her own country needs to register in order to be able to legally do so. Firstly though the company must make an application in order to employ a woman.

Anyway, FIFA is beyond a joke, the corruption there is obvious. The whole selection process is ridiculous.

If I was in charge of the FA, I'd plough every penny that would have gone on hosting 2018 into youth development and coaching, would be some sort of revenge if England could win the thing.

Just imagine if every Qatari riyal and Russian ruble that will be spent was redirected towards developing the fundamental infrastructure and resources required to play the game in impoverished countries whilst the World Cup was hosted in places where the underlying infrastructure and venues are more or less already present.

In Russia at least there can be a legacy from their World Cup with the improved grounds, training facilities etc, but in Qatar what's the point when you have such a minute population and live in a desert? If it truly was a World Cup for the middle east then they should have bid together for it and leveraged their collective resources - fat chance of that happening!

...and I love how they talk about how the ground will be zero carbon emitting, what about all the carbon emissions required to build them in the first place? Or to deconstruct them immendiately after the World Cup because there's no ongoing use for them, or to rebuild them elsewhere in the World?

Edited by OzToonFan