World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

Ex-Fifa president Sepp Blatter has accused successor Gianni Infantino of disrespecting him and says the new head of world football does not answer his phone calls.

:lol: The fucking arrogance of the man.

• 1 month later...

I've yet to hear a compelling argument for bloating the competition. It's clearly got fuck all to do with involving smaller nations, and surely is just about broadening the trough that FIFA execs can gorge from.

I've yet to hear a compelling argument for bloating the competition. It's clearly got fuck all to do with involving smaller nations, and surely is just about broadening the trough that FIFA execs can gorge from.

Absolutely spot on. Why they're even bothering to pretend otherwise escapes me entirely. It's clear as day.

estimated $512 million more revenue for fifa.

compelling.

FIFA are no longer fit for purpose. Chuck out the fat Swiss fraud only to replace him with a more photogenic but equally fraudulent chancer. Secretary my ass. 16 groups of 3 is, to put it bluntly, a fucking idiotic idea. 

estimated $512 million more revenue for fifa.

compelling.

Honest, but it won't convince anyone who isn't a FIFA exec that it's a terrifically well thought out plan to grow the sport.

Honest, but it won't convince anyone who isn't a FIFA exec that it's a terrifically well thought out plan to grow the sport.

It will. Not that it matters anyway since FIFA execs are the only ones who get a say.

Smaller nations will be delighted at the chance to qualify, clubs won't care that much as they the tournament won't last longer or take more games to complete. Mourinho is already on board.

I basically dislike this because I dislike fifa and I like the world cup fine as it is, but honestly, it's not that bad an idea, fewer dead rubber group games, knockout will be no different.

I'm more bothered about the likes of Russia and Qatar hosting than I am about the idea of the format switch.

It's gone down brilliantly in Scotland.

They still won't qualify.

Scotland didn't even make the playoffs for a 24 team European Championship and they are likely to finish 4th in their current World Cup qualifying group.

There are only 13 World Cup places available for European teams at the moment and I can't see them getting more than 4 of the additional 12 places.

They'll just need to settle for cheering England's inevitable 2nd round exit to Bhutan.

It will. Not that it matters anyway since FIFA execs are the only ones who get a say.

Smaller nations will be delighted at the chance to qualify, clubs won't care that much as they the tournament won't last longer or take more games to complete. Mourinho is already on board.

I basically dislike this because I dislike fifa and I like the world cup fine as it is, but honestly, it's not that bad an idea, fewer dead rubber group games, knockout will be no different.

I'm more bothered about the likes of Russia and Qatar hosting than I am about the idea of the format switch.

Aye, plus I'm not bothered because it was obvious it was going to happen once it was proposed

Making a shit tournament worse in the name of money. Well played football.

I was halfway through writing a reply, but this sums up my feelings more succinctly.

As Alex said it was just depressingly obvious the corrupt slugs would make this decision.

Does this come into play for the shit show in Russia? or just the even bigger shit show in Qatar, a 48 team winter world cup man, I genuinely hope English football just carries on as that will be complete and utter dirge.

As Alex said it was just depressingly obvious the corrupt slugs would make this decision.

Does this come into play for the shit show in Russia? or just the even bigger shit show in Qatar, a 48 team winter world cup man, I genuinely hope English football just carries on as that will be complete and utter dirge.

The clue was that the people making the proposals were the people who would be voting on whether or not to enact them ;)

Neither, 2026 I tihnk

:lol: With the top 2 going through to a 32 team knockout?

:lol: Didn't even think about this. All of this arseache to get the same 32 teams that would have qualified anyway. No chance of a group of death either since the 3-team groups are likely to be 1 top seeded side, someone halfway competent and someone absolutely rancid like Panama or England

The clue was that the people making the proposals were the people who would be voting on whether or not to enact them ;)

:lol: Very true, once the cries of corruption get too loud it'll be those same people carrying out the investigation as well.