World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

It's going to be shit isn't it. A bloated competition with loads of tedious games before it gets interesting - bit like the expanded UEFA cup and I don't remember too many people thinking that was a good idea. Then you have the prospect of countries flying half the way around the world for just two games of football.

I suppose it depends on whether you see the World Cup as a competition for just about every country in the world that plays football - or just the elite nations. As a fully paid up member of the metropolitan elite, it should be no surprise where I stand on this. It's devaluing the tournament. But this isn't a view shared outside of Europe - the rest of the world are loving this.

It's a political move for Infantino. He said he wants to put his stamp on the world cup but this is just a vote winner. A country like Mali has the same number of votes as England ffs. it's all about the money. Not exactly a break from FIFA's corrupt past.

I wonder what the knock on effects will be? 

As the World Cup is devalued with Curacao and New Zealand will clubs and agents get in the ears of their players to convince them to prioritise the clubs competitions, especially if the tournament can be moved around the year to suit the hosts?

I don't think they're going to need any additional stadia (or is it stadiums?).

They aren't going to need anymore match days as they are playing 4 a day instead of 3 in the group stages but I'd imagine they may need some more grounds to manage that. Unless they go down the Olympic route of hosting back to back games in one ground but then that city is having to host 4 sets of fans at the same time

• 2 months later...

There's not that many countries outside of Europe that can provide training bases for 48 separate teams as well as enough big stadiums to hold the games. They reckon the 2026 WC will be back in America

Officials plan to announce details of the joint bid by the U.S., Mexico and Canada at a news conference Monday.

Theses are the stadiums that are supposedly on the shortlist.

MetLife Stadium New Jersey 82,500

AT&T Stadium Texas 80,000

Levi’s Stadium California 68,500

Gillette Stadium Massachusetts 66,000

Lincoln Financial Field Pennsylvania 69,500

Mercedes-Benz Stadium Georgia 71,000

Soldier Field Illinois 61,500

Azteca Stadium Mexico City 87,000

BBVA Bancomer Monterrey 52,000

Estadio Chivas Guadalajara 45,000

Commonwealth Stadium Alberta 56,000

BC Place British, Columbia 54,500

Olympic Stadium Montreal 56,000

Rogers Centre Toronto 53,000

Dave endorses the Qatar World Cup, pass it on

Maybe giving the world cup will stop all their shenanigans, like that Kardashian and the Pepsi cured racism.