World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

Actually thinking back, we won loads of games 2-1 that season at SJP. Or seemed to anyway.

Leeds, aswell. Solano bang off the bar .... Robinson nowhere near it.

That was two seasons prior that mate, Robson's first full season. Marcelino had his best game for the toon iirc and Dacourt scored from an indirect free kick in the 6 yard box. I used to love beating Leeds :)

Betting for this now, bookies seem to think it's wors :)

England 4/6

Russia 11/5

Spain/Portugal 4/1

Howay!

I refuse to believe this was 9 years ago, that's sick. I can literally see Robinson flying to his right in front of the Gallowgate in the snow, iirc. Fucking loved beating them lot. ;)

Actually thinking back, we won loads of games 2-1 that season at SJP. Or seemed to anyway.

That was two seasons prior that mate, Robson's first full season. Marcelino had his best game for the toon iirc and Dacourt scored from an indirect free kick in the 6 yard box. I used to love beating Leeds :)

England 4/6

Russia 11/5

Spain/Portugal 4/1

Howay!

I refuse to believe this was 9 years ago, that's sick. I can literally see Robinson flying to his right in front of the Gallowgate in the snow, iirc. Fucking loved beating them lot. ;)

Phoooo not many mate, fuckin loved seeing their grim Yorkshire faces walking down Stowell Street, especially as I have a Leeds supporting bruv in law who HATES the toon, he says he doesn't but I've sat watching the toon live in his house in London when they've been playing on SKY, and when the oppo have scored his face is like the Mona Lisa, but it was mint about 6 weeks ago I was there, Leeds were 4-1 up and he went to the shop he came back and it was 4-6, I had to go to the toilet because I couldn't keep my laughter in. I think Acuna scored a mint header that game too. 9 years ago a naa! It scares me to think the second 1-2 against the mackems was TEN years ago.

That was two seasons prior that mate, Robson's first full season. Marcelino had his best game for the toon iirc and Dacourt scored from an indirect free kick in the 6 yard box. I used to love beating Leeds ;)

England 4/6

Russia 11/5

Spain/Portugal 4/1

Howay!

Phoooo not many mate, fuckin loved seeing their grim Yorkshire faces walking down Stowell Street, especially as I have a Leeds supporting bruv in law who HATES the toon, he says he doesn't but I've sat watching the toon live in his house in London when they've been playing on SKY, and when the oppo have scored his face is like the Mona Lisa, but it was mint about 6 weeks ago I was there, Leeds were 4-1 up and he went to the shop he came back and it was 4-6, I had to go to the toilet because I couldn't keep my laughter in. I think Acuna scored a mint header that game too. 9 years ago a naa! It scares me to think the second 1-2 against the mackems was TEN years ago.

I wouldn't worry about the 1-2 against the soap dodgers being 10 years ago, it's easy to get confused, what with them gan' on about it all the time.

Imagine Argentina - Brazil at Joker Park, man. :) :) They'd have to stop in a travel lodge overnight or the more likely Newcastle.

From Jonny in Exeter, via text: "Great passion from Arshavin, lots of emotion, but when he called himself a "simple football player" I couldn't help but think of a certain meerkat!"

;)

England 4/6

Russia 11/5

Spain/Portugal 4/1

Howay!

I refuse to believe this was 9 years ago, that's sick. I can literally see Robinson flying to his right in front of the Gallowgate in the snow, iirc. Fucking loved beating them lot. :)

I wouldn't worry about the 1-2 against the soap dodgers being 10 years ago, it's easy to get confused, what with them gan' on about it all the time.

Imagine Argentina - Brazil at Joker Park, man. :);) They'd have to stop in a travel lodge overnight or the more likely Newcastle.

They'd have to have a kick aboot on a new housing estate there noo mate ;)

Aye course they'd stay in the toon, half their team lives here, Brazil would probably stay somewhere like Slaley Hall but if North Korea were here it would be the one star Grainger Hotel on the West Road, or some Cullercoats BnB.

That was two seasons prior that mate, Robson's first full season. Marcelino had his best game for the toon iirc and Dacourt scored from an indirect free kick in the 6 yard box. I used to love beating Leeds ;)

England 4/6

Russia 11/5

Spain/Portugal 4/1

Howay!

I refuse to believe this was 9 years ago, that's sick. I can literally see Robinson flying to his right in front of the Gallowgate in the snow, iirc. Fucking loved beating them lot.

Imagine Argentina - Brazil at Joker Park, man. :) :) They'd have to stop in a travel lodge overnight or the more likely Newcastle.

They'd have to have a kick aboot on a new housing estate there noo mate ;)

Aye course they'd stay in the toon, half their team lives here, Brazil would probably stay somewhere like Slaley Hall but if North Korea were here it would be the one star Grainger Hotel on the West Road, or some Cullercoats BnB.

I still refuse to call it the SOL. It'll be Joker Park forever. haha. North Korea would stop in The Park Hotel in Tynemouth or maybe in the bnb above the Central Bar on the Gateshead side of the Tyne Bridge.

Dumb question but I'm assuming the hosts don't have to qualify. If we do get it, isn't it a bit of a disadvantage only having to play friendlies for two years leading up to the tournament?

(not that we seem to benefit much from good qualifying campaigns!)

Dumb question but I'm assuming the hosts don't have to qualify. If we do get it, isn't it a bit of a disadvantage only having to play friendlies for two years leading up to the tournament?

Correctomundo. And I think home advantage overcomes the problems of a lack of competitive matches. SA were the first hosts not to get out of the initial group phase.

the hosts don't need to qualify, they never have. It's not a disadvantage at all, we won it the last time we were hosts !!! Although, I don't see the players to do it again.

Every generation of young England players has supposed to have been the "golden generation" when in actual fact, nothing changes. The demands of the premiership, because it is the most demanding league with the most games and the most intense competition, and other factors will always ruin our chances of winning.

Having said, these prima donnas who play for England now, would only be worse than ever.

Correctomundo. And I think home advantage overcomes the problems of a lack of competitive matches. SA were the first hosts not to get out of the initial group phase.

Good point! ;):)

It's mad to think how long ago 1966 seemed in 1996. Yet it's *almost* as big a gap between 1996 and 2018 (22 years v 30 years).

Spain/Portugal and Qatar for me. Not that I wouldn't love for England to get it, and I think we'd be a good host nation, but I think too many feathers have been ruffled among the FIFA bigwigs. Qatar an absolute shoo-in imo.

the hosts don't need to qualify, they never have. It's not a disadvantage at all, we won it the last time we were hosts !!! Although, I don't see the players to do it again.

Every generation of young England players has supposed to have been the "golden generation" when in actual fact, nothing changes. The demands of the premiership, because it is the most demanding league with the most games and the most intense competition, and other factors will always ruin our chances of winning.

Having said, these prima donnas who play for England now, would only be worse than ever.

I did know that the hosts don't have to qualify btw, although you wouldn't know it from how I worded my post! ;)

The previous winners used to qualify automatically too but that's changed now.

Those Barca players looked fresh in the final like ;)

It's the pace of the English game in general that doesn't breed technical players. Foreigners who come here already have the technical grounding so the PL is like a finishing school for them as you can adapt to a quicker pace easier than you can develop technical ability at an older age. There's more to it than just the pace of the game like.

I did know that the hosts don't have to qualify btw, although you wouldn't know it from how I worded my post! ;)

The previous winners used to qualify automatically too but that's changed now.

Traditionally played the opening match too. But that's always the hosts now.

Iirc the Spain/Portugal bid is 3rd favourite and Qatar is the rank outsider for 2022. Just going off UK bookies there like.

I just read Qatar was the favourite somewhere yesterday. Has the situation changed that quickly?

Iirc the Spain/Portugal bid is 3rd favourite and Qatar is the rank outsider for 2022. Just going off UK bookies there like.

I just read Qatar was the favourite somewhere yesterday. Has the situation changed that quickly?

I think I must be mistaken about them being rank outsiders as they're favourites with the bookies now but the paper I read at the weekend definitely had USA followed by Australia with the shortest odds. Wouldn't mind either Qatar or Oz. I think it's a bit soon to go back to USA and far too soon for the other two.

Qatar have certainly got the financial backing. Doubt they have the passion for the sport like some of the European countries have, that might be their only set back

I donno like England v Brazil and Brazil v Argentina were only friendlies and sold out. They're really pushing the boat out financially and are pledging air conditioned streets, I don't know how that will work like.

It's getting exciting, I'm desperate for us to get this.