Anger as light fades at St James'

Hadrian

No matter what some say, there are still good things about Newcastle United. One of them is the St James' Park DJ.

As bewildered, silenced punters departed a scene of what felt very much like loss, the Tannoy cranked into "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". Full-volume Morrissey warbling sweetly about a double-decker bus crash as the mournful shuffled out: this was a selection more inspired than many at this ground of late. Morrissey and marred.

It is a time for Gallowgate humour. Around the corner at the Northern Stage theatre, a production of Look Back In Anger plays, and to paraphrase, Newcastle don't want to be a lost cause.

But that is how it feels. Even though there are eight games remaining, something withered here. Belief, hope, call it what you will, logic says that a team that has won just six of 30 league games so far will not suddenly string three or four together in the last eight.

Given that Newcastle have yet to play Chelsea at home and Liverpool and Aston Villa away, the margin for error was reducing even before Obafemi Martins slid a weak 23rd-minute penalty-kick into the hands of Manuel Almunia.

That was one downward turning point on the night. Fifteen minutes later, Sébastien Bassong limped off. That was another, the full effect of which was seen as Nicklas Bendtner rose unchallenged to nod Arsenal ahead 12 minutes after half-time. Then Steven Taylor received treatment on the touchline as Abou Diaby exchanged a one-two with Robin van Persie to run through Newcastle's heart and bury the second. That was another.

Three minutes later, Samir Nasri made it three to end the contest and though Martins had briefly made it 1-1, the last 20 minutes could have seen Arsenal score more.

For the faithful, who had been generating real noise, resignation set in. There were flickers of anger, though, beside the home dugout and higher up.

The club owner Mike Ashley was confronted by an angry figure, one who is well known to Newcastle players past and present. He was removed from the premises.

Without wishing to be provocative, Ashley might need to ready himself for more of that, because the local hostility towards him and the likes of Dennis Wise has been on hold. It has not disappeared. With Newcastle lying two points below fourth-bottom Blackburn, their fate is not theirs to decide and the indefatigable fan base seems ready to explode.

"I wish Newcastle stay in the league, personally, because I like the people here, I like the consistency of the support," said the Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger. "I really hope they stay up. But it will be very close." It is foreseeable that others will say the same in the coming weeks but sentiment will not make Newcastle win.

A fit Michael Owen would help; the caretaker coach Chris Hughton dropped Owen for Peter Lovenkrands and said Owen was "maybe not back up to match speed". Wenger admitted surprise at Owen's status on the bench.

Wenger praised Lovenkrands, but he could afford to be generous. This was a third straight league win and Manchester United and Chelsea had both lost.

"They still have quality to finish it off but you can see how important psychology is," Wenger said of United and the title. "They had a big disappointment losing to Liverpool; and when you have a knock like that it can be difficult to recover. I am sure they will recover because their manager is experienced, their players are experienced and they still have a game in hand. I still have hope."

Asked why, Wenger replied: "Because I am a bit crazy."

Newcastle fans can supply their own punchline.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...es-1651754.html

articles spot on , the dj's choice of tunes after the final whiste this season have been witty , yet so true ! i thought the love will tea us apart was inspired , but this may have trumped it ! :(

Edited by Hadrian

No matter what some say, there are still good things about Newcastle United. One of them is the St James' Park DJ.

As bewildered, silenced punters departed a scene of what felt very much like loss, the Tannoy cranked into "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". Full-volume Morrissey warbling sweetly about a double-decker bus crash as the mournful shuffled out: this was a selection more inspired than many at this ground of late. Morrissey and marred.

It is a time for Gallowgate humour. Around the corner at the Northern Stage theatre, a production of Look Back In Anger plays, and to paraphrase, Newcastle don't want to be a lost cause.

But that is how it feels. Even though there are eight games remaining, something withered here. Belief, hope, call it what you will, logic says that a team that has won just six of 30 league games so far will not suddenly string three or four together in the last eight.

Given that Newcastle have yet to play Chelsea at home and Liverpool and Aston Villa away, the margin for error was reducing even before Obafemi Martins slid a weak 23rd-minute penalty-kick into the hands of Manuel Almunia.

That was one downward turning point on the night. Fifteen minutes later, Sébastien Bassong limped off. That was another, the full effect of which was seen as Nicklas Bendtner rose unchallenged to nod Arsenal ahead 12 minutes after half-time. Then Steven Taylor received treatment on the touchline as Abou Diaby exchanged a one-two with Robin van Persie to run through Newcastle's heart and bury the second. That was another.

Three minutes later, Samir Nasri made it three to end the contest and though Martins had briefly made it 1-1, the last 20 minutes could have seen Arsenal score more.

For the faithful, who had been generating real noise, resignation set in. There were flickers of anger, though, beside the home dugout and higher up.

The club owner Mike Ashley was confronted by an angry figure, one who is well known to Newcastle players past and present. He was removed from the premises.

Without wishing to be provocative, Ashley might need to ready himself for more of that, because the local hostility towards him and the likes of Dennis Wise has been on hold. It has not disappeared. With Newcastle lying two points below fourth-bottom Blackburn, their fate is not theirs to decide and the indefatigable fan base seems ready to explode.

"I wish Newcastle stay in the league, personally, because I like the people here, I like the consistency of the support," said the Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger. "I really hope they stay up. But it will be very close." It is foreseeable that others will say the same in the coming weeks but sentiment will not make Newcastle win.

A fit Michael Owen would help; the caretaker coach Chris Hughton dropped Owen for Peter Lovenkrands and said Owen was "maybe not back up to match speed". Wenger admitted surprise at Owen's status on the bench.

Wenger praised Lovenkrands, but he could afford to be generous. This was a third straight league win and Manchester United and Chelsea had both lost.

"They still have quality to finish it off but you can see how important psychology is," Wenger said of United and the title. "They had a big disappointment losing to Liverpool; and when you have a knock like that it can be difficult to recover. I am sure they will recover because their manager is experienced, their players are experienced and they still have a game in hand. I still have hope."

articles spot on , the dj's choice of tunes after the final whiste this season have been witty , yet so true ! i thought the love will tea us apart was inspired , but this may have trumped it ! :(

I missed this. Anyone know anything about it?

I missed this. Anyone know anything about it?

missed this myself , got me curious as hell now tho .

who the hell we throwing outa sjp now ? were being rather heavy handed to anyone who criticises the club lately .. wonder when there planning on barring the other 52k who are slagging this hopeless regime off .

And and/or Dec

Your syntax is all over the shop today. :(

I'm aiming to fill the gap in the market left by Jade Goody.

Where's East Angular?

Am I mingin'?

You dirty Paki!

It won't be long until OK! are offering me £1m for photos of me taking a dump. :(

And and/or Dec

Your syntax is all over the shop today. :(

I'm aiming to fill the gap in the market left by Jade Goody.

Where's East Angular?

Am I mingin'?

You dirty Paki!

It won't be long until OK! are offering me £1m for photos of me taking a dump. :(

Please don't get cervical cancer HF.

Kid on Skunkers reckons it was Macdonald, that all he did was ask a few no doubt pointed questions and invite Ashley onto the radio programme.

He might be a bit of a tit nowadays but to have a club legend like Macdonald chucked out by stewards shows once again what a bunch of cunts this lot running our club are.

Edited by Big Onion

Kid on Skunkers reckons it was Macdonald, that all he did was ask a few no doubt pointed questions and invite Ashley onto the radio programme.

He might be a bit of a tit nowadays but to have a club legend like Macdonald chucked out by stewards shows once again what a bunch of cunts this lot running our club are.

saw macdonald leaving ground at 8.15pm approx we were next to him at traffic lights on barrack road.

saw macdonald leaving ground at 8.15pm approx we were next to him at traffic lights on barrack road.

Maybe he was let back in, taken to a different area? Be interesting to hear if he says anything tonight.

I don't listen to the Legends. is it supposed to be on tonight? Might tune in, just in case.

Oh well that seems to put paid to that theory then :(

Wonder who it was.

Maybe he was let back in, taken to a different area? Be interesting to hear if he says anything tonight.

Wouldn't 8.15 be about right for leaving at the final whistle going to his car and waiting in the traffic?

I don't listen to the Legends. is it supposed to be on tonight? Might tune in, just in case.

I don't listen to it either but likewise I might have a listen - and aye, I think it's on tonight.

Ben Arentoft was there, wasn't he? Can't really imagine our current players having a clue who he was but yer never kna :(

I missed that, are you sure cos I'll ring him and ask him if he knows?

Just what my uncle told me.