Toon stars plead for Venables

Jimbo

NEWCASTLE’S struggling stars last night pleaded for an emergency boss — and named Terry Venables as their saviour.

The Toon players do not believe the acting-management duo of Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood can keep them up.

And, with only eight games left they have called for a respected figure with significant managerial experience to work a miracle.

A club insider said: “The players have all been talking about how they need someone of real authority to sort it out.

"There is no leader since Joe Kinnear took ill. It is not that they don’t respect Hughton as a coach because they do, but he is no manager.”

Ex-England boss Venables was asked to take temporary charge when Kevin Keegan left in September but turned it down because owner Mike Ashley was trying to sell up.

Third-bottom Toon are two points adrift of safety and England Under-21 defender Steven Taylor has been KO’d for a month with ankle ligament damage.

Sebastien Bassong is also set to miss Chelsea’s April 4 visit with a groin problem.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An emergency boss to replace the caretakers who are keeping the seat warm for the interim :huh: We'll have effectively had five managers this season if we do get El Tel.

That aside we need someone, anyone to come in with fresh ideas and start directing traffic. Hughton and Calderwood simply aren't up to the task.

Edited by Ketsbaia

Said it before, say it again.... Just let wise take over FFS. Need to do something. It's shit or bust time.

IMO it would not be the answer, but for a lot of supporters that would certainly be the final straw.

What has he achieved apart from pissing off lots of us, what does he or has he done for the Toon?

Venables won't come, Wise won't touch it, and we've already scraped the bottom of the barrel to get Kinnear so there's nowt left there.

Ashley and co. have fucked up big-style and they're now almost out of options. They may as well give it to Calderwood, who at least has managerial experience, unlike Hughton. I think it's all effectively in the lap of the gods now regardless. If we get the breaks we might just stay up; if not we'll get the relegation Ashley's incompetence deserves. What a fucking mess.

Should have made an appointment like this when Kinnear got it 1st time but even then it could and should have been made when Hughton got it. Too little, too late now anyway imo (not that I see it happening).

Said it before, say it again.... Just let wise take over FFS. Need to do something. It's shit or bust time.

Wise would never take the job, why would he?

SSN now saying Venables isn't coming.

IMO he should have been approached as soon as Kinnear took ill.

Is the correct answer.

Might as well suggest getting Capello in part-time, it's about as likely to happen.

Even I'm struggling to find positives. :huh:

Losing the two players who have been playing well could be the final blow. :huh:

The squad's been too small for too long now. That said, the current lot have had four transfer windows to address this.

Might as well suggest getting Capello in part-time, it's about as likely to happen.

Now that's a good shout. If it's ok for CHelski...

It isn't though, that was the point.

Too late to do anything now, unless maybe Venables would accept preformance related pay, which I can't see.

It's next year that I'm worried about. I can't see a single manager of any quality touching us with a barge pole. How did it come to this?

"pleading for Venables"

season summed up right there

We need some sort of lift, he'd have the respect of the players I'd guess, he'd be ideal for a short-term contract, he's available and he'd be a vast improvement on the current set-up (not hard, granted). All moot anyway though.

Don't think anyone would if I'm being honest. That said, and I wasn't having a pop at Ant or anything, I just think Venables is a miles option than sticking with the set-up we have as doing nothing seems like suicide.

Isn't Kinnear on a £1m bonus if we stay up? I'd say that's why Ashley hasn't replaced him, he doesn't want to pay out twice.

Certainly crossed my mind. He seems to be insuring he won't even have to pay out once though.