Dave Whelan On 5 Live

TicTacWoe

Dave Whelan's on 5live at the moment and said "there's no way Steve Bruce will join Newcastle while Mike Ashley is in charge" followed this by saying he has no doubt Bruce will leave to join one of the big four eventually.......

No doubt motivated by his rivalry with MA as much as anything although I still don't see why on earth Bruce would want to join anyway, Ashley or no Ashley.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Bruce would get my vote for being the next appointment. Think he's done a good job at Wigan taking everything into account. Seems to have Bramble playing decently which means he might just get Collo doing the same.

Reckon he'd come to us in the Championship though?

I'm not a fan of Bruce myself, I think his success at Wigan looks better on paper than it has been in reality and is as much to do with the continued failure of the likes of Spurs, Man City and ourselves as well as a decent scouting network rather than any exceptional managerial ability. Nonetheless, he'd obviously be a big improvement on the current setup and in the circumstances I think a lot of people would accept him as manager in a shot (Another example of how far we've fallen in the last year).

Edited by TicTacWoe

There's no WAY he's done enough for the "big four" to want him IMO and I think he's done a decent job at Wigan. I'd say coming here was a decent shout for him and us under different circumstances.

Considering the complete mess we're in, and thats without being relegated he would obviously be a decent appointment. He's done a good job at Wigan, though they are a truly horrible team to play against, i've never seen as much feinging injury and spoiling in years combined with some pretty dirty fouling themselves. In the game at St James 10 times a player went down "injured" as such is my boredom at the match i was sort of counting!

Whether this is Whelan's issues with Ashley making him say it or not, any decent manager would be wary of the current set up not just Bruce.

Bruce 'will not work for Ashley'

Steve Bruce does not want to become Newcastle United manager while owner Mike Ashley is at the club, according to Wigan chief Dave Whelan.

Bruce is widely regarded as a Newcastle fan and has previously been linked with the St James' Park hot-seat.

"There's no chance of Steve going to Newcastle while Ashley is involved, if you ask him he will say the same," Whelan told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"There's no doubt he'll leave us but it will be to join one of the big four."

Whelan added: "There's only one job that Steve is really, really interested in and that's not too far away from the JJB Stadium.

"When Sir Alex Ferguson decides he's had enough at Old Trafford then I fear that Manchester United will come in for Steve.

"I don't think they'll get a better manager to replace Sir Alex than Steve Bruce."

Bruce, 48, took over from Chris Hutchings in November 2007 and led the Latics to 14th that season.

Wigan are currently seventh in this season's table and if they finish better than 10th it will their highest Premier League placing since joining the elite in 2005.

Whelan: Ashley killed Toon

MIKE ASHLEY hoped it would win over the Toon Army when he dressed down and strolled into the St James’ Park boardroom for the first time.

Decked out in a black and white replica shirt, jeans and trainers, the billionaire businessman thought it would show he was ‘one of the lads’.

But it was at that moment back in late summer 2007 that a big part of Newcastle United died which has never been recovered since.

That is the view of one of his fellow Premier League club owners, Dave Whelan, who has no sympathy for the Toon’s current plight.

The Geordies are staring at Championship football next season — stuck in the relegation zone, two points adrift of safety and with only eight games left to save their top-flight status.

And, according to Whelan, it will be no more than Ashley deserves for the lack of class he has shown since taking charge on Tyneside.

The traditionalist Wigan owner says he is bitterly disappointed at the way his fellow sportswear tycoon has driven a once-proud club down the drain.

He feels Ashley has stripped away all the dignity which his predecessor Freddie Shepherd built up.

Whelan said: “When I first went there just after Mike Ashley had bought it he turned up in the boardroom in a pair of jeans, a pair of trainers and a replica shirt.

“Immediately he did that, the club’s gone.

“You don’t do things like that in football. He’s got no class whatsoever.

“He’s representing Newcastle United who were such a proud club.

“I immediately knew the supporters may want to have a pint with him on the terraces but basically he was not Newcastle United through and through. The Newcastle fans know that.

“Newcastle is a massive club who have had no success.

“You can’t get a Tottenham fan buying Newcastle and letting people think he supports them.

“It’s not right, there’s no pride left in the club.”

The two club owners have been at war over the future of JJB Sports with Whelan suggesting Ashley was putting 12,000 jobs at risk by trying to scupper his plans.

Whelan sold JJB Sports for £190m in 2007 but has now bought back its fitness clubs for £76m and renamed them DW Sports Fitness.

Wigan’s home ground will be renamed the DW Stadium from next season.

Now the feud has spilled over on to the pitch and the Latics supremo is shedding no tears over his rival’s woes.

Whelan blasted: “I don’t trust Ashley as far as I could bloody throw him.

“I think he’s got what he deserved. You don’t go into a football club as big and proud as that and lower all the standards.

“When you walk in he clears the boardroom out and people walk in wearing football kit, replica shirts. You don’t do that.”

For that reason, Whelan says the Toon have no chance of luring Geordie boy Steve Bruce up to Tyneside to sort out their problems.

The current Wigan boss has admitted in the past he would one day like to manage the Toon but Whelan says it will not happen under the current regime.

He added: “Ashley’s not approached us about it yet — but the answer is no.

“Steve knows he could go, and knows he could go to Newcastle. Would he go? No chance.

Qualify

“I don’t think you will ever get Steve Bruce going to a club that is run the way Mike Ashley runs it. No chance.”

Wigan stand seventh in the Premier League — ahead of the likes of Manchester City and Spurs — and could qualify for the Europa League next season.

Whelan also revealed plans to keep season ticket prices down as low as £250 for the third season in a row at the re-named DW Stadium.

And the chairman is confident fans will be watching a team managed by Bruce — even though he expects to lose him one day.

He said: “I know he will go in the end but I hope it is not for three or four years. He deserves to manage Man United or one of them and I would wish him the best of luck.

“I have a great relationship with Steve and I am up front with him, as he is with me.

“He is going nowhere at present. He loves it here.

“If we finish seventh in the league I don’t think there is any doubt he is manager of the year.

“He has absolutely worked wonders.”

I bet Dave Whelan has his own washroom & toilet. That's obviously his idea of classy ownership - them and us. I couldn't care less what Ashley wears, it's how he's behaved that bothers me. And for someone who's basically named the stadium after himself to accuse someone else of lacking class is staggering. Imagine if Shepherd had named SJP the SO stadium?

So, why's this glakey twat sticking the boot in now?

Because it's safe for him to, whether we stay up or notdoesnt matter he can't lose to Ashley at this moment because we can't finish above Wigan, hes what's known as a bad winner

And a wanker

Shocking that this loudmouthed idiot who's naming his stadium after himself has the gall to talk about other clubs. If all he's got against Ashley is that he's a Spurs fan and he wore a replica shirt he's not been paying attention, but obviously that isn't stopping the wanker from having a go.

BUST-UP ON THE HIGH STREET Whelan: Ashley has no class, no dignity and low standards .. he's no Freddy Shepherd*

Veteran Wigan supremo Dave Whelan has ripped into Newcastle United chief Mike Ashley - and accused him of dragging the Toon to the brink of doom.

Whelan savaged his fellow Premier League chairman - and business rival - pointing the finger of blame directly at him for causing the fog that has come down on the Tyne.

In an amazing personal assault, Whelan laid into Ashley, the man he is also fighting for control of the troubled JJB Sports empire, and believes he has brought about his own downfall in the Geordie kingdom.

Whelan blasted: "I think he has got what he deserves at Newcastle. It's a very proud club, you don't go in there and lower the standards.

"He cleared the board out and people started walking into his boardroom in replica strips, jeans and trainers. You don't do that at a football club.

He has no class whatsoever.

"All of the dignity has gone out of the club. Whatever you think of Freddy Shepherd, he had great dignity.

"People say he made a good living out of it, but he was also Newcastle United through and through.

"I see Freddy when I go to Barbados and he is still upset that he is not part of it. I keep expecting him to come back."

Whelan has battled Ashley in the sportswear world for years, and the pair clashed over the buy-out of JJB.

Whelan has just renamed Wigan's ground the DW Stadium but claimed Ashley, who owns Sports Direct, has been trying to stop him taking over JJB in recent weeks.

In the football world they are squaring up for a potential scrap over Steve Bruce.

Wigan's Geordie manager is seen by many as a long-term replacement for Joe Kinnear.

But Whelan will fight - and reckons his boss will ultimately turn down Newcastle.

He said: "Ashley has not approached me about Steve.

The answer would be no.

"I don't think Steve would ever go to a club run like Ashley runs his club. I have a great relationship with Steve.

He is up front with me and I am up front with him."

If Bruce does leave, Whelan reckons the best place for him would be Manchester United.

He said: "If I was United - when Sir Alex finally hangs up his boots - I don't think there is any doubt where they will come.

"I know he will go to one of the Big Four, but I hope it is not for three or four years. He deserves to manage United."

Freddy Shepherd Dignity Watch: Shepherd and Douglas Hall were exposed by the infamous 'fake' sheikh. Their best quote was "Newcastle girls are all dogs. The girls are ugly and they're dogs." They also mocked Toon fans for buying shirts that cost less than a fiver to make and said Alan Shearer was as boring as Mary Poppins.. and they were in a brothel!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/2...15875-21228541/

So, why's this glakey twat sticking the boot in now?

he's sticking the boot into Ashley because fat mike has tried to scupper the deal that Whelen set up to buy the Leisure Club side of JJB. anything regarding NUFC id merely us getting caught in the crossfire in a bitter war of words and business that hes been going on between the two since 2000 when Whelen misstuck Ashley for the gardener when they were called to a meeting to discuss business matters at the home of another sports emporium owner.

these two hate each other; full stop.

A slight sense of contradiction by Whelan, his biggest bug-bear seems to be the fact Ashley dresses down, a bit to rich coming from a man who has made his fortune selling Charva chic to the unwashed masses.

Couple of points here.

First generally about Ashley. He clearly has brought his commercial principles to NUFC. Sports Direct is a cheap shitty brand where there is no investment in its employees and consequently they don't give a fuck about the business or its customers.

Whelans comments were the main topic on last nights 606 hosted by the cockney irritant and every premiership footballers self proclaimed best mate 'Spooney'. A Norwich City fan came on with an intelligent and well articulated critique of Ashley's tenure of NUFC. His principle argument was that to allow a club of such assets, standing and potential to falter into our current position took an incredible amount of mismanagement misjudgement and negligence.

Spoons and his unable assistant Issy Clarke then to my amazement and annoyance began an impassioned defence of Ashley. Their counter arguements relied primarily on the fact Ashley has spent £240m of his own money on the club, and great emphasis was placed on the fact it was his own money – not any consortium’s money you understand - but his very own and that he had been "hounded out" of “Noocarsel” by the fans.

I'm still calming down now.

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Footba...tle/gnid-45913/

Steve Bruce admits he does not know if he will be given the chance again to manage Newcastle.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan claimed there was ‘no chance’ that Bruce, who turned down the Magpies job four years ago when he was the manager of Birmingham, would consider taking over the Tyneside club.

Even by their own tumultuous standards, Newcastle are a club in crisis, with the third-from-bottom team apparently leaderless during the convalescence of Joe Kinnear.

“Everyone associates me with Manchester United, and rightly so, but when it’s in you, it’s in you. I’m a Geordie after all,” Bruce told the Daily Mail.

“I turned it down four years ago. It was the hardest decision. I just felt I had to be loyal to Birmingham at the time. Whether it will come around again, I don’t know.

“However, I thoroughly enjoy what I do here. I’m not in charge of that situation. It’s just speculation. I’m preparing here for pre-season.”

Bruce’s commitment to Wigan remains total, however, and an unlikely qualification for next season’s Europa League is his priority.

“We have a chance. Five of our last eight games are against teams in the bottom half of the table, so we can get something out of them," said Bruce.

“We have also got Everton, Arsenal and Man United, so it is a slim one.

“But for the last 12 months, the results have been good. It isn’t a fluke that we are there.”

That doesn't quite fit in with Dave Whelan's blinkered view of the world.