Judge rules on Guantanamo strike

Rob W

I didn't know you were a war veteran Leazes.

106872[/snapback]

I'm not

106878[/snapback]

Exactly, so you are in no position to comment on what War Veterans may feel about Guantanamo Bay are you?

106880[/snapback]

If I'm not, then who is ?

BTW, I'm 51 not 81.

107004[/snapback]

;) War Veterans?

EDIT: Oops, just following themags' lead.

Edited by DotBum

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know you were a war veteran Leazes.

106872[/snapback]

I'm not

106878[/snapback]

Exactly, so you are in no position to comment on what War Veterans may feel about Guantanamo Bay are you?

106880[/snapback]

BTW, I'm 51 not 81.

107004[/snapback]

War veterans themselves, funnily enough.

107007[/snapback]

Don't follow you. Either way, going to the Cenotaph and mixing with these great old guys would do a lot more for awareness of human nature and reality than listening to fancy dan left wing lecturers who know fuck all

I reckon he is just looking after what he percieves as the best interests of his own country, like most of us.

However, unlike a lot of people on here, I don't see how allowing potential terrorists on the streets is a good thing...like it or not we are at war, like we were twice in the last century,  just of a different type, against people who want to change the world to one of their liking and take away our freedom, and going by boy scout rules against such bastards and cowards is out of the question

107010[/snapback]

Wouldn't that include...everyone?

I reckon he is just looking after what he percieves as the best interests of his own country, like most of us.

However, unlike a lot of people on here, I don't see how allowing potential terrorists on the streets is a good thing...like it or not we are at war, like we were twice in the last century,  just of a different type, against people who want to change the world to one of their liking and take away our freedom, and going by boy scout rules against such bastards and cowards is out of the question

107010[/snapback]

Wouldn't that include...everyone?

107015[/snapback]

eerrr...well not exactly..."potential" means they have a reason to suspect ....

107017[/snapback]

No Leazes, potential means that under the right circumstances that person could become a terrorist.

BTW, I'm 51 not 81.

107004[/snapback]

For fuck's sake, IQ tbh.

107016[/snapback]

is that meant to be an intelligent answer

Don't follow you. Either way, going to the Cenotaph and mixing with these great old guys would do a lot more for awareness of human nature and reality than listening to fancy dan left wing lecturers who know fuck all

107014[/snapback]

I like to form my own opinions to be honest and it's my opinion there's a whiff of bullshit about you supposedly going down to the Cenotaph and then mixing afterwards with veterans.

107017[/snapback]

No Leazes, potential means that under the right circumstances that person could become a terrorist.

107018[/snapback]

no it doesn't, it means they suspect them of being engaged in terrorist activity.

In which case they are quite right to bang them up, safety of the public [ie you] is paramount

107014[/snapback]

I like to form my own opinions to be honest and it's my opinion there's a whiff of bullshit about you supposedly going down to the Cenotaph and then mixing afterwards with veterans.

107020[/snapback]

You can believe it if you like Alex, I can't see why you don't its not as if it's off limits to anyone, it's no big deal you could go if you wanted

107014[/snapback]

107020[/snapback]

You can believe it if you like Alex, I can't see why you don't its not as if it's off limits to anyone, it's no big deal you could go if you wanted

107024[/snapback]

I've been, that's why I think you're talking shite.

no it doesn't, it means they suspect them of being engaged in terrorist activity.

In which case they are quite right to bang them up, safety of the public [ie you] is paramount

107022[/snapback]

Who is defining these boundaries; why do you assume they won't change once we've accepted them?

And why do you assume that it's only the human rights of them being affected while I stay safe, why are we on the right side of the fence?

107014[/snapback]

107020[/snapback]

107024[/snapback]

107025[/snapback]

I can assure you its true, I don't give a toss if you believe me or not, and if you didn't go and chat to them and have a beer etc in the pubs around Traf Square etc with them I can't see why not unless you just didn't want to or didn't think about it

By the way Leazes, are you advocating imprisoning people for years purely on the basis of suspicion? Isn't that what Saddam Hussein used to do?

106885[/snapback]

Just got up to here reading this thread and my irony meter has gone off the scale. Half the things that HTL advocates (and iirc this includes executing children and publically beating criminals) would fit quite nicely into an extremist state like Iraq that we are "fighting" against. He just can't see it though. :jester:

106921[/snapback]

However, unlike a lot of people on here, I don't see how allowing potential terrorists on the streets is a good thing...like it or not we are at war, like we were twice in the last century, just of a different type, against people who want to change the world to one of their liking and take away our freedom, and going by boy scout rules against such bastards and cowards is out of the question

107010[/snapback]

I think it goes without saying we all want what is best for the country we live in, I know that I do. It's just some of us believe it is worth protecting what makes our society what it is and don't want us to revert back to medieval "justice" or want a return to "guilty until proven innocent". If we incarcerate people at the will of the state, lock people up for years with no evidence against them, what makes us different to Iraq? The same goes with executing children or beating people in public imo.

There seems to be little point in arguing on these points anyway, I have posted on the internet long enough to know the more stubborn among us (and that includes me probably) will never be persuaded we are wrong. However, HTL seems to me to be an extreme case with very black and white viewpoints. These people always worry me, this might sound daft but I believe that the taliban were comprised of similar minded people to some of the more right-wing dogooder bashers you get on these message boards. It's the way some people see the world in black and white, the underlying certainty and fundamentalism of their beliefs. The world is not a simple place and neither are issues, it's right we should debate them in a free society if we want without claims we are loony lefty sandalistas, do-gooders, unpatriotic, or indeed wankers if we do.

Anyway, rant over. Like I say I'm not sure I want to get caught up in another of these threads - its got the potential to get ugly. ;):jester:

107022[/snapback]

Who is defining these boundaries; why do you assume they won't change once we've accepted them?

And why do you assume that it's only the human rights of them being affected while I stay safe, why are we on the right side of the fence?

107028[/snapback]

Ironically Leazes is always banging on about our rights being eroded by Islamic extremists.

107022[/snapback]

107028[/snapback]

Expand ? I suspect I know where you are heading..but want to know..

Simple fact is, we don't put people in the nick for nothing, despite what the pro-middle east crusaders would have you believe

107014[/snapback]

107020[/snapback]

107024[/snapback]

107025[/snapback]

I can assure you its true, I don't give a toss if you believe me or not, and if you didn't go and chat to them and have a beer etc in the pubs around Traf Square etc with them I can't see why not unless you just didn't want to or didn't think about it

107029[/snapback]

There weren't any War Veterans there as I can recall as I walk past. In any case, even if what you said is true my point about you not being able to comment about what War Veterans think about Guantanamo Bay is entirely valid. Unless of course you specifically asked them about this matter.

Simple fact is, we don't put people in the nick for nothing, despite what the pro-middle east crusaders would have you believe

107034[/snapback]

You don't need to be a fancy Dan lecturer to laugh at the irony of that.

107014[/snapback]

107020[/snapback]

107024[/snapback]

107025[/snapback]

107029[/snapback]

There weren't any War Veterans there as I can recall as I walk past. In any case, even if what you said is true my point about you not being able to comment about what War Veterans think about Guantanamo Bay is entirely valid. Unless of course you specifically asked them about this matter.

107036[/snapback]

No disrespect, but it shouldn't really matter what they think anyway. My Grandad thought blacks shouldn't be allowed in the pub, gays should be locked up, women should have sense beaten into them and Rugby was great. Just because he fought admirably in a war I don't have to agree with him.

Edited by Happy Face

107014[/snapback]

107020[/snapback]

107024[/snapback]

107025[/snapback]

107029[/snapback]

107036[/snapback]

No disrespect, but it shouldn't really matter what they think anyway. My Grandad thought blacks shouldn't be allowed in the pub, gays should be locked up, women should have sense beaten into them Rugby was great. Just because he fought admirably in a war I don't have to agree with him.

107046[/snapback]

Leazes is your Grandad??///??!?/1/?!/

107014[/snapback]

107020[/snapback]

107024[/snapback]

107025[/snapback]

107029[/snapback]

107036[/snapback]

The year I went, was before the big escalation of Islamic fundamentalism, although the exploits of Colonel Gaddafi were giving cause for concern, unfortunately the lessons from that didn't cause the human rights brigade to think twice about their concern for terrorists "human rights" and we all know how it has escalated since.

However there was terrorism going on of a different kind though closer to home though, across the water in Ireland, I suspect the views on both these things would be similar. Or similar enough.

I can't see what your point is though, we were talking about pepple who died in 2 world wars to preserve the way of life and freedom for themselves and their next generation of children and grandchildren, certainly not to see it being eroded away which is precisly what over regard for human rights of terrorists and allowing them to hide behind it is doing.

If you don't agree, consider how it has grown in the last decade. Basically if the yanks think someone is engaged in terrorist activity then can lock them up for security reasons and we should do exactly the same.

I don't believe you have been Alex as you appear to know so little, but then again I couldn't care less !!!

107022[/snapback]

107028[/snapback]

107034[/snapback]

Why do I need to expand? They're straight-forward questions, if what you're saying is true, there's no danger of falling into a rhetorical trap.

I don't really understand why you're so fond of these veterans anyway, they saved the world from the Nazis, who were ruthless and efficient; if they had succeeded there'd be no messing about with namby-pamby civil liberties for muslims, and then we'd all be happy.

Edited by DotBum

107034[/snapback]

You don't need to be a fancy Dan lecturer to laugh at the irony of that.

107039[/snapback]

;)

The point is Leazes, you are in no position to comment about what War Veterans think about Guantanamo Bay and the issues around it. Pretty obvious really.