Official Jimbo's TV Confirmation: Alan Shearer: Manager of Newcastle United

Jimbo

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, Ashley tried to win us over by bringing back KK.

Is he not trying the same trick again?

Surely not even he's that stupid enough to play that card twice?

He just has

I meant the follow up treatment you pedantic git! <_<

The Sun

Shearer in Toon rescue

ALAN SHEARER will take over as Newcastle boss today.

In a sensational move owner Mike Ashley has turned to the Toon hero to save the club from relegation from the Premier League.

The Magpies lie third bottom in the table, two points adrift of safety, and disgruntled players have been calling for a figure of authority to haul them out of the mire.

Coach Chris Hughton is considered too soft for the job and Shearer, the man who cost a club-record £15million back in 1996, has been given the last eight games of the season to work a miracle.

Shearer, 38, has made no long-term commitment to the job beyond May but his hero status will go through the roof if he staves off relegation.

And he will pocket a massive bonus approaching seven figures if he succeeds.

Ashley had shown no inclination to change the acting management duo of Hughton and Colin Calderwood, insisting they would carry on until Joe Kinnear was fit enough to return following his heart operation.

But increasingly it has become obvious that Kinnear would not be fit enough to return to the touchline this season and he has been making noises about taking a role upstairs as a director of football.

The players had no faith in the management set-up and had almost resigned themselves to the drop.

A Toon insider told SunSport: “This is the big throw of the dice by Newcastle. Alan Shearer has always turned down approaches to take on any coaching role at the club before.

“But this is a serious situation and everyone realises drastic measures are required.

“Alan, more than anyone, does not want to see Newcastle relegated.”

Didnt Shearer say once on MOTD that he wouldnt want to be the manager with the current NUFC structure?

Perhaps this adds credibility to the stories circulating over the last couple of days that Wise was heading out of the club.

I really can't see Shearer working under Wise, even if he has the final say like Kinnear seemed to have had in Jan.

The highs and lows of supporting this club without actually winning anything are amazing.

I know, shit clubs nobody cares about can only dream of our level of pantomime chaos ;)

why the fuck would he want to manage the club under that regime

Can only think he's genuinely upset at us being relegated and willing to risk it and/or he thinks that this is a no lose situation (I'm not sure that is the case, but it could still be so).

I'd agree with this.

I agree with Fish...

Shearer, 38, has made no long-term commitment to the job beyond May but his hero status will go through the roof if he staves off relegation.

Well I hope he does well (obviously), but I hope he then stays if he does well (if we get relegated we're fucked any which way), or we'll just be back to this point again.

How many of you who were convinced we were going down, are now confident of staying up?

I'm neither, I think we have a better chance now than we did but its still going to be very very tight

I fucking love Shearer. Wise off now surely?

He might not have any managerial experience but he'll have the total respect of all the players from day one and he'll wield the axe nee bother if anyone gets out of line or hides on the pitch.

COME ON BIG AL!! ;)

I'm pleased, but that's only really because things can't get much worse, and let's face it, we're fucking desperate. I hope Al does the buisiness, but he has no mangerial experience, and him coming is not going to change the fact that our squad is paper thin and mostly shit.

How many of you who were convinced we were going down, are now confident of staying up?

I'm by no means confident... but I think Ashley has played his best possible card by appointing Shearer.

Make no bones about it, the task is monumental. In 1992 Keegan had 16 games to save us. Shearer only has half that number.

FWIW I think Kinnear, Hughton & Calderwood will all be on their way. JFK is talking about a DOF role but we've seen proof that he's a bullshitter on far too many an occasion.

Coincidence (well as far as I'm concerned):

Last year Rangers and Newcastle reappointed their most succesful recent managers in Smith and Keegan. This season Newcastle and Atletico Madrid appointed their greatest ever striker and greatest ever GK as managers and Rangers look set to appoint McCoist at the end of the season.

This tells me I pick clubs with very strange recruitment policies.