Harry Redknapp: Ashley has rolled the dice and thrown a Six

Jimbo

ALAN SHEARER’S amazing appointment as Newcastle boss is a last throw of the dice by Mike Ashley.

And the owner has thrown a six.

Only one man could turn the tide of gloom at St James’ Park at this late stage of the season with the club in such a desperate fight against relegation.

Shearer is not a tried and trusted coach. But management at the top level has never been about coaching and it never will.

I am not a great coach, although I like it. Alex Ferguson is not a great coach. Nor is Arsene Wenger or Rafael Benitez. Guus Hiddink is not doing anything at Chelsea that the players haven’t done before.

It is about being a manager. Shearer’s long-awaited and much longed-for coronation will create a huge wave of adrenaline. There will 55,000 screaming Geordies when Chelsea visit on Saturday.

But more than that, Shearer knows the players he has got to work with. Eight games is not long and they are in a real fight.

Relegation will cost the club in excess of £100million, so there are massive stakes.

Shearer will know as much as any other manager who he can depend on in a scrap. He will scan the training ground and tally up those who are in and those who are out.

You don’t have to be a great coach to understand that. Lots of those players at Newcastle will know Shearer — and respect him.

Kenny Dalglish was not an experienced coach when he took over at Liverpool back in the 1980s and won all those trophies.

And I am mightily relieved my Tottenham team have 38 points already with some distance between us and the drop zone.

If we still had 33 or 34 points I would be pretty worried about playing Newcastle in a couple of weeks. I strongly believe that Shearer’s mere presence will galvanise the team incredibly.

You do not need to be popular as a manager, but it helps if the whole squad is behind you. Bringing in Iain Dowie to help is another smart move. I didn’t know he and Shearer were that close.

I’d have bet on Shearer’s big mate Rob Lee getting involved and still think there might be a place for him.

I signed Iain for West Ham when he was a player — a striker with the heart of a lion.

I have always thought he could go far. The twists and turns of his managerial career have been down to being at the wrong club at the wrong time.

Dowie will be an excellent assistant, a voice of experience in Shearer’s corner.

Shearer’s appointment is on a level with Kevin Keegan’s. He is an icon and has the fans’ huge support behind him instantly.

No disrespect to Chris Hughton, but Shearer has the charisma to turn around the fans, players, boardroom and the survival fight.

But here’s an early lesson in management for Shearer.

What on earth was Allan McGregor thinking about with his actions in the bar after Scotland’s defeat in Holland?

Burley had showed faith in him, dropping a £9million keeper in Craig Gordon. And this is how he repays him. Unbelievable. George doesn’t deserve that.

Managers need the loyalty of players. Shearer will realise that.

I am surprised, delighted and a touch relieved about Big Al finally taking the hot seat.

A year or so ago I almost took the job but stayed at Portsmouth, taking them to an FA Cup win.

Two days ago I’d have bet on Newcastle going down. I would not now.

Two days ago I’d have bet on Newcastle going down. I would not now.

I hope he's right!!! My head is spinning - I really don't know what to make of Big Al's decision to jump in now, but in any event my hope is alighted once again.

but in any event my hope is alighted once again.

Good morning sir, have you arrived here from Victorian times? :nufc:

I think that sentence means hope has left him....the only thing I ever alighted was the bus ;)

Good morning sir, have you arrived here from Victorian times? :nufc:

I think that sentence means hope has left him....the only thing I ever alighted was the bus ;)

A somewhat pedantic yet salient point sir! Huzzah!

Does anyone care what that cockney pissant has to say about our club? I also disagree with the statement that appointing Shearer is on a level with Keegan.

Aye, Keegan was a good choice (if he'd been backed), Shearer is probably the best choice* now, but he's still a huge uncertainty.... but he's still the best hope we have.

*in so much as the club has a choice

And you lot wonder why you are the most derided and smirked upon set of fans in the country?

Are you not allowed to have an opinion on Newcastle if you dont support them?

Someone says something bad about the appointment, their opinion isn't worth s***

Someone says something good about the appointment, their opinion isn't worth s***

Honestly, you lot are worse than the scouse sometimes I reckon.

Oh and he is spot on about Ferguson, he won't have a clue about the most modern training techniques, he doesnt need to. He manages and organises those who do. That and organise the team and motivate them.

Shearer has 8 games to do the same.

And you lot wonder why you are the most derided and smirked upon set of fans in the country?

Are you not allowed to have an opinion on Newcastle if you dont support them?

Someone says something bad about the appointment, their opinion isn't worth s***

Someone says something good about the appointment, their opinion isn't worth s***

Honestly, you lot are worse than the scouse sometimes I reckon.

Oh and he is spot on about Ferguson, he won't have a clue about the most modern training techniques, he doesnt need to. He manages and organises those who do. That and organise the team and motivate them.

Shearer has 8 games to do the same.

:lol::razz:

Danny's partly right. Redknapp knows his stuff whether you like him or not. Also Ferguson has always got the right coaches around him. The likes of McLaren, Kidd et al show the difference between being top coaches and top managers (as a general rule at least).

Danny's partly right. Redknapp knows his stuff whether you like him or not. Also Ferguson has always got the right coaches around him. The likes of McLaren, Kidd et al show the difference between being top coaches and top managers (as a general rule at least).

Which bit am I wrong about? The bit about you being like scousers?

You only have to read this post by Armchair Pundit earlier "we have a relationship with supporting our team that they could only dream of!"

That is straight out of the scouse play book.

Which bit am I wrong about? The bit about you being like scousers?

You only have to read this post by Armchair Pundit earlier "we have a relationship with supporting our team that they could only dream of!"

That is straight out of the scouse play book.

Don't you have ANYTHING better to do today Daniel? :lol:

Good morning sir, have you arrived here from Victorian times? :razz:

Further back than that - or at least that's how I felt last night when I wrote it.... :lol::razz:

Anyways I figure you know what I meant, but yeah I don't know where the hell that came from. sheesh

He's not even trying to be subtle anymore. He's officially jumped the shark.

Danny, that is, not Redknapp.

Like a five year old pissed off he's not the centre of attention at someone else's party tbh. :lol:

I thought it was acknoleged in the game that Ferguson isn't a master tactician, but knows this and has the right staff around him.

Most ManU fans I know are terrified everytime they come up against Liverpool as they know Benitez will tactically take them apart.

he is absolutely right when he says that at this level its all about man management and not coaching. Nailed on.

I don't know if this will mean he'll be good though, none of us do yet.

he is absolutely right when he says that at this level its all about man management and not coaching. Nailed on.

Going to be interesting finding out though.

Whats your general thoughts on this anyway?

Going to be interesting finding out though.

Whats your general thoughts on this anyway?

not sure. Its the monkey off our back if nothing else.

Ashley had to do something didn't he ?

Will it turn out to be his last throw of the [panic] dice or a huge stroke of luck. I don't think for a moment, if Shearer does well that he will stand down in the summer. But if he does well, then Ashley and the setup he wanted to implement is well and truly filed into the dustbin because Shearer would want full control, like Keegan wanted, and he wouldn't dare to lose Shearer for the same reasons as Keegan.

What do you think ?