Network printers and the like

snakehips

We have a network using Microsoft Network Server 2003.

We installed a compatible network printer (HP P1505n) the other day and all was fine.

We come to use it now and it wont play! Tried the Help menu and it says it can't PING the printer. Everything is connected, the ethernet connection light is on, but it just wont print.

Anyone have any suggestions?? Other than blame the fans, that is.

I had a network printer that had a habit of changing it's IP address, this sounds like something similar.

You should be able to find out the printer's IP address using the menu of it's display, make sure that this is the same address that the computer is trying to find, if not then update the settings on the computer.

I had a network printer that had a habit of changing it's IP address, this sounds like something similar.

You should be able to find out the printer's IP address using the menu of it's display, make sure that this is the same address that the computer is trying to find, if not then update the settings on the computer.

Aha! Cheers for that. I'll give it a look tomorrow.

Okay.

I printed off the Test page on the printer, and discovered that the IP address is different from when it was installed (a couple of days ago).

We had a look, but don't know where to 'input' the IP address of the printer on the computer.

Can you tell me how to find the necessary page?

Start - Control Panel- Printers - click on printer - Ports- Configure ports - you can try clicking the "Always print to this printer..." as well on that screen

Start - Control Panel- Printers - click on printer - Ports- Configure ports - you can try clicking the "Always print to this printer..." as well on that screen

Okay.

Got that window up.

'Printer Name or IP Address' had the same host name as when installed (no sign of an IP Address number).

The 'Always print to this device, even if its IP Address changes' box was ticked. However, I unticked it and then re-ticked it in an attempt to give it a bit of encouragement. A window opened after a few seconds: 'Unable to find the device. Verify that the device is powered on and properly connected. The 'always print to this device, even if its IP Address changes' functuality has been disabled.'

??? Sooo, folks, what's next?? Suggestions.

Okay.

Went back in and force fed its new IP Add number according to the test page from the printer and, hey presto, all is playing again!

Thanks, lads, for your help.

Not sure why the 'Always print to this device, even if its IP Add changes' option has been disabled, though :lol::lol::blush::jesuswept: